Transmission Fails to Shift

Ghost37

LVC Member
Reaction score
2003 LS V8 - 60,000 miles

During my commute this morning in the pouring rain I got a "Check Transmission" message about 30 seconds before the transmission quit shifting while already engaged in D5. I turned and started to limp it home at 20 mph but then I tried the faux-manual mode and surprisingly it shifted up and down no problem. I came on into work and have been reading searched transmission threads until now. I'm looking for some clarification. From my reading I imagine that I'm in need of a new solenoid. However this is always generally mentioned and I see from from the automatic transmission, diagnosis by symptom, 210 - All shifts missing (automatic mode only) section of this page:

http://deneau.info/ls/

it mentions shift solenoids, TCC solenoid, and pressure control solenoids. That site is intended for a 2006, so do those apply to my 2003? If so, which solenoid is "the solenoid" I need to see about replacing? Or am I completely off base and need to go a different direction?

2003 LS V8 - 60,000 miles

During my commute this morning in the pouring rain I got a "Check Transmission" message about 30 seconds before the transmission quit shifting while already engaged in D5. I turned and started to limp it home at 20 mph but then I tried the faux-manual mode and surprisingly it shifted up and down no problem. I came on into work and have been reading searched transmission threads until now. I'm looking for some clarification. From my reading I imagine that I'm in need of a new solenoid. However this is always generally mentioned and I see from from the automatic transmission, diagnosis by symptom, 210 - All shifts missing (automatic mode only) section of this page:

http://deneau.info/ls/

it mentions shift solenoids, TCC solenoid, and pressure control solenoids. That site is intended for a 2006, so do those apply to my 2003? If so, which solenoid is "the solenoid" I need to see about replacing? Or am I completely off base and need to go a different direction?

Try unhooking the battery and waiting 10 minutes. Play with random electronics while waiting to drain the system faster. (Turning the key etc..)
I too have a similar issue when it humid or rainy. Usually flooring it will make it slam in to gear and all is well.

Yes, it applies to your 03 as well. The 03s to 06s were almost identical. There's just one solenoid assembly (that has all the solenoids mentioned in it). You have to replace the whole assembly. It would be wise to properly diagnose this and fix it ASAP. If you keep driving it with these problems, it will tear up the whole transmission.

Addendum: When I start the car there are a couple minutes of "D5" available before it throws the "E". The transmission shifts in auto during those first minutes and then stops when the car shows the "E" and "Check Transmission". Its clunky, but it works.

In other words "Get it to the dealer and/or a qualified mechanic immediately"? Then I'll park it for the weekend and get it in on Monday.

If not sooner! Unless you have budgeted a new transmission.

And the verdict from the dealership:

"Bad gear ratio on 1st gear, bad gear ratio on 3rd gear, bad gear ratio on 4th gear, and it has valve body issues."

Does any of that sound plausible?

And the verdict from the dealership:

"Bad gear ratio on 1st gear, bad gear ratio on 3rd gear, bad gear ratio on 4th gear, and it has valve body issues."

Does any of that sound plausible?

Those are just the DTCs that they have retrieved - correct?

More diagnostics are required to determine why it believes the ratios are incorrect. It could be a bad shaft speed sensor, incorrect gear selection due to solenoid and/or valve body problems, or it could be more serious.

They're recommending new transmission to the tune of $3,900 already.

Edit: And yes, those are the codes they gave me.

I have read about issues with the valve bodys on 03s. I remember a thread similar to this, the fix was a valve body and a solenoid pack. Don't quote me though.

They're recommending new transmission to the tune of $3,900 already.

Edit: And yes, those are the codes they gave me.

That seems a little extreme. Are there enough metal shavings in the bottom of the pan to indicate that the whole thing is already shot?

They've got it still. I'm just bouncing what they say off you guys since you likely know what you're talking about and aren't trying to sell me anything. I suppose my next move is to ask that they attempt further diagnostics looking for the things you mentioned.

That does seem extreme. There's actually a shop near me that just specializes in the 5r55 series transmissions. Full rebuild $1200, with stronger parts that came on it. Pretty sad when you have trans shops that just do Ford's 5 speeds..

That does seem extreme. There's actually a shop near me that just specializes in the 5r55 series transmissions. Full rebuild $1200, with stronger parts that came on it. Pretty sad when you have trans shops that just do Ford's 5 speeds..

I live in Michigan too, Holland to be exact. Where are you located? My tranny has been slipping in 3rd gear once in a while and I would have NO PROBLEM forking $1200 or even $1500 for a rebuild to a shop that specializes in our transmissions, especially one close. What's the name? Thanks

sorry to bring up a old thread but im having the same problem, im actually going to pick it up from the dealer. They are quoting me $3600 to replace it with a rebuilt. I would like to know what you did if any did you do to fix the problem? thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back