Sooo...I know its July...

jarrett88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I know its July but since I live in MN its only been like two monthes since snow.... And after all the problems I had this past winter driving around I am wondering, are winter tires worth the big bill? I have Michelin all season tires on my car, and paid a pretty penny for them and if I am going to have to throw down the same amount for not much better traction its not worth it. Has anyone who lives in areas that get lots of snow had much luck with winter tires or is there no real difference

So I know its July but since I live in MN its only been like two monthes since snow.... And after all the problems I had this past winter driving around I am wondering, are winter tires worth the big bill? I have Michelin all season tires on my car, and paid a pretty penny for them and if I am going to have to throw down the same amount for not much better traction its not worth it. Has anyone who lives in areas that get lots of snow had much luck with winter tires or is there no real difference

Yes, they are worth it. Even my all-seasons get plasticy around 35º.

Okay, cause I got the tires right after the first big snow here in MN, but even with them and 150lbs of sandbags, I had crap luck

Okay, cause I got the tires right after the first big snow here in MN, but even with them and 150lbs of sandbags, I had crap luck

Like everything else, there are differences in quality. I know next to nothing about snow tires, but reading reviews it appears some are much better than others. I may be misinterpreting the results, but my understanding is they are really only good for one season as they wear out quickly.

Snow storm = 4x4...

I did drive in some 1" buildups and the car handled surprisingly well. Sadly being a peg leg it still wanted to stay stuck if one wheel started to spin. A Lincoln LS is not a car I would want to drive through heavy snow in.

Snow storm = 4x4...

I did drive in some 1" buildups and the car handled surprisingly well. Sadly being a peg leg it still wanted to stay stuck if one wheel started to spin. A Lincoln LS is not a car I would want to drive through heavy snow in.
Yep thats kind of the impression I have been getting. I guess I really only put on like 5k in the winter, so how fast could they really wear out?

Yep thats kind of the impression I have been getting. I guess I really only put on like 5k in the winter, so how fast could they really wear out?

Depends on the temps. If it's warm you can chew through some money fast.

I'm not really sure how much snow you get. I live in Southern Michigan and all seasons worked fine for me. I don't use sand bags or anything. Only real annoyance is that open diff.

Having lived in Dannemora, NY & spend time @ my sisters in Ellenburg, NY every year I can state all-season tires are good with light snow, no ice or ice/snow packed roads. Only real snow tires work studded for all road conditions, not studded for all but icy conditions. All season tires are only for nice days right after the plow has passed and no slippery hills with a stop sign or light. If I don't have real snow tires on the LS or m F150 I keep tire chains handy for emergency traction situations. 30 yrs of snow driving & not seeing the tarmac from Oct to Jun, except Jan thaw, makes you cautious! 24" of snow overnite & 20-30 below, can strand a lot of all season tire drivers!

I had winter tires on my LS two years ago and in snow it was fine. Didn't even see the light come on for a slip. Never got stuck, never slid, nothing. With the correct tires, you will be fine, as many other members will tell you.

I also have over 100 pounds extra stuff in the trunk like stereo equipment, which probably helps too.

I prefer a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. I've also swapped out the open diff for a limited slip. I pull the sub box out in the winter months, and add bags of sand/quikrete/salt/whatever. I have no problems in the snow, unless there is just too much of it. Then I take the 4x4.

If I don't have real snow tires on the LS or m F150 I keep tire chains handy for emergency traction situations.

DON'T USE CHAINS ON THE LS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNLESS you have 16" wheels.....

Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and chains:
• Use only SAE Class S chains with P225/55R16 tires.
• Do not use tire chains with size P235/50R17 tires. Use of SAE Class S
chains or other chain types may damage your vehicle.

I prefer a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. I've also swapped out the open diff for a limited slip. I pull the sub box out in the winter months, and add bags of sand/quikrete/salt/whatever. I have no problems in the snow, unless there is just too much of it. Then I take the 4x4.
You live in MN, so I am sure you got those nice big snows this past winter too, yea its either winter tires or buying a cheap truck for like 3k.

You live in MN, so I am sure you got those nice big snows this past winter too, yea its either winter tires or buying a cheap truck for like 3k.

I did both. But, I also have lived here all my life, and know how to drive in the winter. When the LS will make it, and when I need to take the truck.

Go the beater truck route.

$750 got me this. Still runs like a champ:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?58151-The-LS-s-winter-replacement

I did both. But, I also have lived here all my life, and know how to drive in the winter. When the LS will make it, and when I need to take the truck.

$750 got me this. Still runs like a champ:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?58151-The-LS-s-winter-replacement

Thats a pretty BA little piece you got there. Yea it was my first winter w/ the LS, because all the snow was gone the March before when I got it, I really was going into it unaware of what to expect, I kind of went off of what I remembered from my mothers old rear wheel drive 98 Grand Marquis, but they drove totally different in the snow

The ls is pretty predictable in the snow. Much more predictable than any other rwd car I've driven, which includes a Grand Marquis. Weight distribution is a probably a factor and tires of course.

Thanks guys, I think I have a better baseline now as far as where to put my funds towards

Members online

Back