Blinking check engine light, almost dies while stopped in gear?

jrdnhsnbrg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
On my way home from work tonight I was slowing down at a stop light and my check engine light started blinking. Once I was stopped it had a really rough idle and almost died, so I pulled over and took a look in the engine bay. When I pulled away the light started blinking again and the car was shuddering and shaking a bit. When I was pulling in the garage the car almost died again. I looked around on the Internet for a bit and it looks like my engine is misfiring and is probably a bad coil or plug somewhere. In the whole life of the car (164,000 miles) only 2 coils have been replaced and all plugs replaced around 90,000 miles. Is this the right diagnosis?

Flashing light means a do not drive situation. From what you described you might have blown a plug out of the threads or you have multiple coil packs out. Pull your coil covers and pull each coil pack off a inch then back on. If you have a plug in one, you will know. You can also pull the stabilizer bar off the engine compartment for a little more room if you want. Should take you 20 minutes to check every thing, only 4 bolts, 6 with the bar removal.

If you did blow a plug it's not the end of the world. Lot of us have had it happen. Hopefully its a front plug and can be fixed with a insert kit in 20-30 minutes, back plug is a little more tricky.

I blew one 3-4 years and 75k ago. Took me 20 minutes to put a new insert in it. I still drive it like I stole it with no issues. I did have a heads up before it went. I could hear something metal, light tick going on under the hood and I chose to ignore it. In hindsight it was the spark plug rattling around in the treads which eventually turned into a plug that was shot through a coil.

Can't hurt to replace all the coils. I'm still happy with the Summit Racing house-brand coils I got earlier this year. There's a thread on it here with part numbers and such -- only $180 for the entire set of 8. They are 100% physically identical to stock so it's a quick replacement.

Pulled the code and it said cylinder 2 is misfiring, new motorcraft coil and 8 new plugs will be here Monday.

Yep replaced the coil for cylinder 2 and all the spark plugs. Cylinders 3,5,6,7 and 8 are all still running the factory coils. Not bad for 165k miles. My grandpa thinks that due to the fact that the engine is transverse and the side of the engine that's close to the firewall probably runs a bit hotter that only the coils on that side have gone bad so far. Coils 1,2, and 4 have all been replaced. Also bought a chrome grille and chrome pillar covers off eBay for a deal, and she looks amazing! $35 for the pillar covers if anyone is interested I can post the link and pictures on my car.

While the stock coil longevity is great, I'm happier knowing I won't have to worry about another coil replacement for 10+ years. Right now you've got 5 more chances of being stranded at the least opportune moment possible.

Members online

No members online now.
Back