First Pics of our new 22K mile family member!!!!

Man for a car like that I'd find it hard to glue that cheap sh*t moulding kit on..I'd invest in a new window..do it right.

OK, so for those who have had this happen to their car, what is everyone's experience on replacing the window moulding?

I would agree with KeVIIIn and NoLimit95, if it permanently took care of the issue. However, I would not want to spend $350-$450 on replacing the window, and have the moulding wrinkle again in a few years.

Thanks- Lou

OK, so for those who have had this happen to their car, what is everyone's experience on replacing the window moulding?

I would agree with KeVIIIn and NoLimit95, if it permanently took care of the issue. However, I would not want to spend $350-$450 on replacing the window, and have the moulding wrinkle again in a few years.

Thanks- Lou

Lou, I'm fairly certain that you won't have this problem with replacement trim. It's not the same junk that originally installed.

Thanks- Lou

The reason this wrinkling happens is because it sits in the sun for years. For how nice the car is I'd hope you will be covering it or parking it in a garage..so if it won't see years and years of sun anymore it won't matter. I've mentioned this several times before, but I had my rear glass replaced with a brand new factory ford glass and the seal is much thicker and less pliable than the old one. It'll never wrinkle up again in the time I own it.

The reason this wrinkling happens is because it sits in the sun for years. For how nice the car is I'd hope you will be covering it or parking it in a garage..so if it won't see years and years of sun anymore it won't matter. I've mentioned this several times before, but I had my rear glass replaced with a brand new factory ford glass and the seal is much thicker and less pliable than the old one. It'll never wrinkle up again in the time I own it.

Agreed! Mine is right at 4 years old and for the last 3 1/2, it's been garaged and the entire glass and gasket still look new and shines on the edges. No pitting either. The gasket does seem to be a little thicker than the original to me too. My 94 was rippled and then I had it replaced with a 93 ripple free glass and the edges were thinner than the new glass on the 95. All nice garaged Marks deserve a new back glass but that's one of those preference things. The sun bakes the top part and then the sun heats the body up, depending on body color and helps the baking process from the underside. After 10+ years of this, it's bound to ripple up. If you now own the car and it's going to be garaged, I don't see why it wouldn't remain ripple free for the rest of the time you own it. I'll update this in 10 more years to let everyone know if I see ripples lol

What a beautiful gem! I love it when these cars can be saved. :cool:

Where can we buy a brand new rear window? All of the glass companies I contacted gave me estimates over $1000 and no one could guarantee they existed.

What a beautiful gem! I love it when these cars can be saved. :cool:

Where can we buy a brand new rear window? All of the glass companies I contacted gave me estimates over $1000 and no one could guarantee they existed.

I must have seriously lucked out then..I called a glass place 2 miles from home and originally asked if they could come out to a nearby junkyard to remove a back glass from a mark in the yard that had good trim..he instead gave me another option to just go through my insurance since they never have adjusters come out for window replacements being its only a few hundred dollar claim..not worth it to them to come out to confirm your window is cracked or broken..soo since my old glass was "broken" and my comprehensive deductible was zero we deemed it was worth it to go through insurance. The guy at the glass shop called around to a few suppliers and found one aftermarket rear window and one factory ford replacement window..so he immediately snatched up the ford glass and called me back. Brought my car in, removed old, retinted new and installed..had it in and out in less than two hours all for free.

Thanks- Lou

I would assume its heat and UV rays that kills it.
Mine I believe is original no wrinkles but it is now deteriorating due to the painter getting clear coat on it.
So I would replace it and store it inside.

Members online

Back