Why me?

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so on the way to work this morning I hear a popping sound coming form the engine. I get out and check it out and I can see the COP cover bouncing up and down. I baby it to the shop down the road and they confirmed it, not only did it blow a fvcking spark plug but now the spark plug hole has been oblonged. The shop just called me with a $1500 estimate. There is nothing in life that can go my is there, what have I done in my life have I done to deserve this kind of treatment. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

charlie.jpg

Is that common on the Mark VIII engine? I was going to change my plugs, but maybe I should leave well enough alone.???? Ho w do you fix that?

from what I've heard it is common enough, but I never heard of the spark plug rounding out the hole. They said they would have to drop the engine, take off the head and bring it to a machine shop and have them put in an insert.

from what I've heard it is common enough, but I never heard of the spark plug rounding out the hole. They said they would have to drop the engine, take off the head and bring it to a machine shop and have them put in an insert.

Given how cheap these engines are, if it's coming out then I would just put another in.

You could easily replace the motor with a low mile replacement for less than $1500.

Or even get new B heads and replace those.

Heck, get super wild and get some C heads and intake and call it a day.

Did you see it for yourself or are you trusting that their diagnosis is correct?

I don't have the money nor the facilities for such an undertaking. I was planning on selling it and my van to get one car. I can never get anything to work in my favor can I

That happened to magnatude on our way to a soundoff competition, driving through Ohio.
Smelled gas about 40 minutes prior and I stopped at a gas
Station looking for fuel leak... none.

Back on the road and 15 minutes later ..... BANG !

#4 plug blew out at 65mph. Coasted to the next exit.
Put plug back in and tightened to spec. Its been four years
ago and no problem to this day.

Is that common on the Mark VIII engine? I was going to change my plugs, but maybe I should leave well enough alone.???? Ho w do you fix that?
---I've found that new autolite 764's every 10-20k miles makes a HUGE difference. I recently changed plugs and immediatley 4 CE lights disappeared, and it purrs like a kitten again
---
that's some crazy-ass :q
--- hard to believe, but you are well-established so I do believe it

Tell them to POUND SAND. Find a place that will put insert in on car. DONE A MILLION TIMES. You can do it yourself for 40 dollars if you wish. Thats how much the kit cost at parts store. DON'T get screwed. Its a simple fix on car. I bet FORD would do it for 200 and they have all the nice Ford tools to do it mint.

That happened to magnatude on our way to a soundoff competition, driving through Ohio.
Smelled gas about 40 minutes prior and I stopped at a gas
Station looking for fuel leak... none.

Back on the road and 15 minutes later ..... BANG !

#4 plug blew out at 65mph. Coasted to the next exit.

One of my friends cam in with his F-150 4.6 it popped the plug out and killed the cop. The only time I have ever seen plug back out and not pull threads. I screwed in new plug to torque and it was fine. He did hear the plug leaking for awhile as it was slowly unthreading thou.

Very common on the sohc with the short thread plugs. But hear is a first on a mark motor. My f150 blew a plug $550 later good. Had a shop do it.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often considering how little thread engagement there is with the DOHC 4.6. The first time I changed plugs I had to come here and ask if something was wrong. Nope, that's all the farther the plug threads in.

Anyway, try the repair kit from the auto parts store. It's made for this exact problem.

I've always done my own plug replacement on these cars and never had a problem. These threads scare the crap outa me though (Haha. Both the lack of them in the block and here on LvC). I'm gonna have to go and peek at all sixteen again just to make sure. :p Spooky.

so i was talking to the guy where brought my car originally and he showed me the insert that he tried putting in. It was an adapter for a bigger, longer spark plug, and he said he couldn't get enough thread in the hole to get it to fit. So i got it towed to a performance shop....hopefully they can get some better results

so i was talking to the guy where brought my car originally and he showed me the insert that he tried putting in. It was an adapter for a bigger, longer spark plug, and he said he couldn't get enough thread in the hole to get it to fit. So i got it towed to a performance shop....hopefully they can get some better results

I think the first place may have buggered it up. I have seen this "longer" plug fix and that's not the one you wanted.

If they are not using the time sert it is not worth having done.

Members online

Back