New Battery Discharaging

MKE

LVC Member
Reaction score
This is on a 2002 Continental, 79,000 miles. I have replaced the battery and alternator. Both new replacements have been tested and are fine. The battery will discharge in 30 minutes enough that the car will not start and the programming in the ride preferences are lost. This problem has occurred 3 or 4 times over a 6 month period. This afternoon, the problem occurred again. I had the car jump started and noticed the head lights were on when the car started. It was mid afternoon in bright sunlight and the headlight switch was turned off. I turned the lights on manually and then off and the lights turned off.

Is this a computer problem? Do I have a relay malfunctioning? Has anyone else faced this and what did you do to correct it?

The first step is to find out what is staying on when the car is off. If it isn't something obvious like the interior lights it can be a time-consuming process to narrow it down.

Sounds like a random charging issue. Nothing on this car could drain the battery in 30 minutes. All the lights on this car turn themselves off after so long. Headlights 10 minutes, trunk light 15 minutes and so on.

Your new batter could be bad. I dont care how many times it was 'tested'. I watched the service techs test my battery and declare it good to only be in the shop the next morning. Trade it in for another battery and dont let anyone install the post connectors with a hammer....

new batteries are sometimes junk.
had a battery with a dead cell not that long ago.

Members online

No members online now.
Back