Clearing 17x9 wheels while lowered

A very dull ninja star, gotta throw them extra hard to do some damage^

So I installed those spacers today. So far i did one back up test. i was able to swing full all the way with no rubbing at all. it was beautiful I will test the other direction later. but it seams the answer to this question would be as follows

Grind the spindle arm down a little bit and apply a 3mm spacer to the front wheels. and as for the backs. Rolling the fenders. That should clear 17x9 wheels with 275/40/17's

So I installed those spacers today. So far i did one back up test. i was able to swing full all the way with no rubbing at all. it was beautiful I will test the other direction later. but it seams the answer to this question would be as follows

Grind the spindle arm down a little bit and apply a 3mm spacer to the front wheels. and as for the backs. Rolling the fenders. That should clear 17x9 wheels with 275/40/17's

I'm sure with those spacers in there there would be no need to touch the spindles. You could put your hand in there between the spokes of the wheel and physically feel the gap between the wheel and spindle to tell how close it is. Post some pics of the front wheels so we can see how far they stick out from the fender (I'm guessing its probably not noticable but just curious).

WOW! Finally man! Damn. I'm sorry you went through all that!

WOW! Finally man! Damn. I'm sorry you went through all that!

I am only sorry that i went through the charlie fox trot i did putting in the front suspension which i do not think is 100 percent sound. however i am not sorry that i did it for the wheels because it really needed to be done anyway.

I cant wait to get the fenders rolled tho so i stop the rubs in the back.

@Kev I am on support all week so if i can ill try and grab some on the weekend. I didnt notice any different with it sticking out. 3mm is really really minor. I think with 17 inch rims the grinding would still have been needed to some extent.

all i can say is i now have full range of motion backing up and going forward. its really nice.

When I got my 17" EBAY Bullit style rims they were all in the 9 or 9.5 in wide range?

They rubbed on the front upright so I did a small grind for clearance but still had grinding at full turn. Had already had the front end aligned as I had replaced a tie rod end and UCA. After I put on the new hubs the car wasted the new tires on the front :Bang

Were original hubs on a 145k car and they were way outta wack!

Had the back fenders rolled today. When we took off the wheels we noticed it wasnt really rubbing the fenders so much as it was rubbing on the inside. here is a couple pictures :) still rolled the fenders anyway

Here you can see where it was rubbing on the inside wall. This was the passanger side. its not nearly as bad on the drivers side.
945587_605945282763967_642988766_n.jpg

and a shot of the roller its self. f-ck that baseball bat stuff.
1005073_605945272763968_702161265_n.jpg

I wonder if the 3mm spacers would cure this as well. for 12 dollars its worth finding out.

I run 18s all around on the 97 sensor lowered 1 inch with no rubbing at all anywhere, ever. Tastefully done with no dramatic problem causing notions. Wheel offset and width seems to be the problem every time on threads of this nature. Match the hatch folks. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Seeing those pictures of the inner fender rubbing, it's clear that these 17x9 wheels are not 36MM offset.
Dante Design made a run few years back that wasn't within specs. Looks like you have one of those sets.
True 36mm offset 9" will not cause all these issues. Can you measure actual backspace of these wheels ?

Seeing those pictures of the inner fender rubbing, it's clear that these 17x9 wheels are not 36MM offset.
Dante Design made a run few years back that wasn't within specs. Looks like you have one of those sets.
True 36mm offset 9" will not cause all these issues. Can you measure actual backspace of these wheels ?

I do not know how to measure wheels.

I bought them from another user who had them on his mark with no issues. I guess my mark is retarded or something.

Could be why he had such a problem with the rubbing on the spindles also..however you do have what..275s on the rear? That's pretty wide.

To measure offset, remove wheel and find the exact center of the rim and measure from the hub mating surface to the center of wheel..that should be 36mm

Dude I never had that issue in any of the Marks those wheels were installed in. What's the condition of the rear springs? I don't get it. I'm breaking my head. I enjoyed those wheels for about 4 years. Definitely never had rear rubbing issues with the rolled fenders. You definitely have another issue. I'm scratching my head.

Dude I never had that issue in any of the Marks those wheels were installed in. What's the condition of the rear springs? I don't get it. I'm breaking my head. I enjoyed those wheels for about 4 years. Definitely never had rear rubbing issues with the rolled fenders. You definitely have another issue. I'm scratching my head.

rear springs are maybe 6 months old. along with the shocks. I havnt heard them since i got the fenders rolled. but im still gonna isntall 3mm spacers anyway just to see what happens.

How's the rear, more specifically the side in questions alignment? Is it cocked in?

I may have some if you need em...lemme look around

im good thanks. i grabbed a set of from the same place i grabbed the fronts. i havnt heard any rear rubs since i rolled the fenders but i just wanna make sure im not rubbing hte inside anymore. im pretty sure everything is good now. i just nead to clean up the front end noises that are not related to the rims :)

Members online

Back