2 questions I've been meaning to post...

KAIN81

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
'03 LS V8 - 111k.

Question 1 is pretty standard - question 2 might be a tad bit more intricate.

1) Is the oil change notification on the LS set for every 3K miles - or does it actually judge the quality of the oil and tell you when to change it?

3) When my '03 has sat (in any temp) for more than 4-5 hours it makes a rattle sound when it is first turned over. My neighbor has an 02 and it does the same thing.
It's like quick rattle/gun fire as the engine turns over - and then it stops immediately - and doesn't happen if I turn the car on and off in a short amount of time.
If need be - I can take a video of it tomorrow when I get up tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Waylon

I do not know how many miles it is set for but I do know it is not set to gauge the quality of the oil. You're second question seems like a very common thing to occur - there have been several threads/videos on this topic that I can personally recall browsing very recently.

'03 LS V8 - 111k.

Question 1 is pretty standard - question 2 might be a tad bit more intricate.

1) Is the oil change notification on the LS set for every 3K miles - or does it actually judge the quality of the oil and tell you when to change it?

3) When my '03 has sat (in any temp) for more than 4-5 hours it makes a rattle sound when it is first turned over. My neighbor has an 02 and it does the same thing.
It's like quick rattle/gun fire as the engine turns over - and then it stops immediately - and doesn't happen if I turn the car on and off in a short amount of time.
If need be - I can take a video of it tomorrow when I get up tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Waylon

1. Car requires full synthetic, and is set for 5K miles.

2. I put over 102K miles on my '04 LS, and never experienced an engine noise like that.

Read the entire thread - all six pages - and it looks like no one has gotten to the bottom of this :(
I have the same sound as BigWayner posted - same scenario.
Only after the car has sat - (i'm in southern california, so the car is never getting 'cold') - i start it in the morning - RATTLE - i turn it off and directly back on - NO RATTLE - fun fun.
I'll keep an eye on the post and see if anyone comes back with a solution!

I'm the one that started that thread. My problem goes away when it's warm, never does it probably over 60 degrees. Guess I'll have to wait until next winter to figure it out.

A friend over at LLSOC has the same symptoms (I haven't listened to the clip) in his '03 V8. You don't want to know what caused his rattle.

A friend over at LLSOC has the same symptoms (I haven't listened to the clip) in his '03 V8. You don't want to know what caused his rattle.

Oh sheesh - well now I've gotta know. It's done it for the last year I've had the car. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all and only does it the first start up after the car sits for a few hours (not related to outside tempature). So what did your buddy find out?

Oh sheesh - well now I've gotta know. It's done it for the last year I've had the car. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all and only does it the first start up after the car sits for a few hours (not related to outside tempature). So what did your buddy find out?

REALLY want to know ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)? I'll need to get his permission.

I changed my oil 3 times trying to flush it out and now my noise is gone... 5w20 mobil all times and a good filter each time

Well, I had my last change oil November 2012, around 85,000 miles on my LS, full Mobil Synthetic oil. Now I have 86,5xx miles and the change oil message came on. I don't drive my LS that much, it just stays in the garage. I checked the oil and its looks super clean. I think I will just reset my change oil reminder due to the oil's condition. what y'all think?

Well, I had my last change oil November 2012, around 85,000 miles on my LS, full Mobil Synthetic oil. Now I have 86,5xx miles and the change oil message came on. I don't drive my LS that much, it just stays in the garage. I checked the oil and its looks super clean. I think I will just reset my change oil reminder due to the oil's condition. what y'all think?

Well, that's up to you. I think that the minder works on a combination of miles (5K) and time (6 months). It was setup for semi-synthetic, so you can probably go longer with full synthetic. Personally, I use full synthetic and change it every time the minder says too. The cost of the oil and filter is low enough, and it's good to get under there and look around every so often anyway.

Edit: With the gen I tensioner problems, I wouldn't skip any oil changes.

I run full synthetic (RP) and I change it after two full message cycles. This usually turns out to be around spring time each year.

I am pretty sure the message goes off run-time. Because my driving distance has increased significantly the last year but time the car is running is about the same.

Members online

Back