not an VIII..but interesting Mark VII

keVIIIn

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
http://tucson.ebayclassifieds.com/c...turbo-diesel-very-rare-tucson-az/?ad=19713537

I was reading on a completly unrelated site about some weird motor home that used this BMW 2.4L turbo diesel engine..and the guy who made the post mentioned this is the same engine Lincoln used in some Mark VIIs in the mid 80s..I had to do a double take when I read that..I jumped on google and just typed it in the browser and sure enough this thing popped up. I'm not a VII guy and don't know much about them other than they were basically a thunderbird/cougar fox platform car with a 5.0..but this is news to me..kinda cool, and rare car.

They pop up on cl around here time to time is consider one for a dd if they could get out of there own way
That also had this option for the conti.

very rare cars.... my mark 7 was an 1989 bill blass edition with 5.0 in it not diesel but beautiful car... Bought it with 140k and sold it with 240k... still running like the day I got it...

I've seen a couple of those old diesel Mark VII's. Never driven one though. I always heard they were agonizingly lethargic :D But the engine was pretty cool. And made by BMW.

diesel mark vii 2.jpgmark vii diesel engine.jpg

mark vii diesel engine.jpg

diesel mark vii 2.jpg

I've talked to guys who say on long trips they got 40 mpg
They never did say there average at 50/50 though.

I was thinking with it being a diesel it might get some decent mileage. Wonder if a gear swap would help out with what was said above being sluggish.

I remember those, i worked at a shop and one came in, and needed some work done to it, i dont remember exactly what was done before it came to us, but it never ran right ,we spent a month trying to figure out what was causing it to run like crap, we even tried to take it to a lincoln and a bmw dealer to help the guy out and neither would touch it. it was a beautiful car but a bad idea.

I remember them being talked about YEARS ago over at FordvsChevy.com, where there were mostly Mark VII guys. I think one member over there may have even had one. As rare as they are, I know they were only mainly looked at as an oddity, and not really something very desirable, due to their issues and lack of performance. I think it's an interesting idea, just poorly executed (and at a time when diesel power wasn't quite as advanced as it is today). Imagine a Cummins I6 turbodiesel crammed in a Lincoln...

Members online

No members online now.
Back