MY Story

LS2001

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone, im sure a few of you have seen my name pop up in a few posts recently...well, its time i give you all a little back story!

I recently began looking for my son's first car, keep in mind that my son is almost 17 and a very good kid, he has held an A+ average and may be going to Ohio State under a football scholarship (had a few recruiters eyeballing him)...anyway back to the car!

Once we started looking at makes/models he spotted an LS and really liked the looks, so we headed off to find an LS...i seen many available around me, and after reading this site and gathering as much info as i could as to common problems (i thank you all!) we set out to find his car! After MANY LS's we were giving up hope, people were wanting 4k + for cars that had timing chain issues, tranny issues, and suspension issues...no way i was spending 4k just to dump another 2k+ into it. By chance we found a craigslist ad for a 2000, they didn't mention any issues in the ad (they never do..) and when i got there this car was in decent shape, but had some of the same common issues, trans solenoid, coils, suspension...big difference was the timing chain/tensioners/guides had been replaced, as well as most of the cooling lines and bottle, this was a HUGE + in my opinion! the owner wanted $3550 for the car, but after pointing out all the faults i got the man down to $2500...and here i am now!

i have purchased many parts already, trans filter/solenoid, new coils/plugs (Motorcraft), HID kit for lows, and LED interior lighting (what kind of a dad would i be if i didn't add some cool?), new rims (the stock 17's) because whats on there is so far past fugly that even OEM looks better...i haven't started on suspension, but im sure it needs a wheel bearing on the drivers side (im going to do both fronts), and it has the "hollow thud" sound which means we may have some bad bushings, and it also needs new shocks all around (i already ordered replacement motorcraft) everything said and done, im looking to spend $1500-2k in parts, labor is a nonfactor...im doing this stuff myself (with my son by my side!) this brings my total up to $4500 for a vehicle that has virtually ALL common issues fixed, i don't know about the rest of you, but to me that sounds like a great deal!

here is a link to the C-List ad

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3623859833.html

thanks for reading, im sure you will be seeing more of me around...this site has been added to my rotation of forums!

il_340x270.399100773_58xm.jpg

from all the sons in the world, Thank you!
Nice thing you are doing for him ... all the LS best.

for the first GEN you might find a service repair manual CD on ebay helpful.
or ALLDATA access might work for you.

il_340x270.399100773_58xm.jpg

Thanks guys, being a good dad is all i know how to be...my son is my best friend!

i only wish more dads were the same...my own included.

i may pick one of those up, i know enough to know when im in too deep..but, i have big guns for those moments, a buddy of mine builds race engines for a living...he owns the shop his grandfather opened 30 years ago...i should be good, lol.

My dad helped me with a couple of projects on my first car, and I surpassed his automotive skill within a few years (my vehicle was not the most reliable)... Have fun with the LS, it is a fun safe car to say the least. You might want to get rid of that 2000 center console though...

Thanks guys, being a good dad is all i know how to be...my son is my best friend! ...

+1

Stop it man, you making the BigRig tear up here :D ( BigRig's don't cry unless it's from joy! )

You might want to get rid of that 2000 center console though...

im working on that already, i need to have the whole phone crap removed...the error every time you start it is annoying.

:D

Sensitive subject around here ... no little Rigs possible ... too late now also.
Some inlet dock tubes got sealed up before I started delivering loads at this destination.

Thank goodness for little (step)grand rigs visiting from time to time. :)

Great story! I had to laugh when you used "fugly". I haven't heard that word in ages. Enjoy your LS!

:D

Sensitive subject around here ... no little Rigs possible ... too late now also.
Some inlet dock tubes got sealed up before I started delivering loads at this destination.

Thank goodness for little (step)grand rigs visiting from time to time. :)

sorry bro, didn't mean to bring up any emotions like that... i can see how sensitive it is.

you worded that like a true trucker! i met lots of truckers when i worked at kenworth.

great story man. did you get the parts all from the dealer maybe you should of open this post before you got the parts and we would of recommended the Visteon coils they are way cheaper and are the euro motorcraft. the suspension parts get it from rockauto.com good deals there.

great story man. did you get the parts all from the dealer maybe you should of open this post before you got the parts and we would of recommended the Visteon coils they are way cheaper and are the euro motorcraft. the suspension parts get it from rockauto.com good deals there.

no, i bought the parts from either ebay or rock auto. i tried to search for the best price i could...

i did look for Visteon, but i found motorcraft for $12.50 Ea, but i was not quick enough to get all eight, i only got three...the next best was $25 EA. either way, both are a drastic difference from retail.

im glad everyone enjoyed my story, i will start posting pic's sooner or later...maybe some before/after.

to be honest with you all, im seriously considering trading my 03 Monte SS (84k on the clock) for a decent LS....the more i drive it, the more i love it!

the suspension parts get it from rockauto.com good deals there.

i looked around there, but i couldn't find front wheel bearings...

i know the fronts are the whole assembly w/ ABS, and the rears have to be pressed on right?

tomorrow morning i will get it on stands so i have a better idea what parts i actually need...the previous owner really did no maintenance to this car at all...the only thing he did right, was run full synthetic (i think the first owner had changed it over to full syn, and the guy i bought it from just followed suit).

Got under the car today, she needs a bit more help than i thought...

i bought both front outer tie rods, Stabilizer end links on all corners, driver side front control arm, wheel hub assembly both sides, pass. rear tie rod assembly...rock-auto was the cheapest i found (even found the 5% discount code!). now just waiting on parts...cant wait to feel the ride after all this.

edit: all the parts i bought were MOOG /RAYBESTOS

That's a very cool thing you did, for your son. I think that it's a good idea to get one's kid a safe, solid car in their first years driving... lots of people buy their kids crap like Accents, Aveos, Fits, Yarises, Corollas and other tiny cars which fold quickly whenever they're involved in accidents... but for pretty much the same price, or a bit more (I'm talking used cars all-round) decent American midsize and full-size cars may be found, and are much safer.

I'm 22, and can safely say that in our first years driving, with our more limited experience, it's good to have something bigger and safer, in case something bad happens.

Great story. Hope to read more about you and your sons build project.

You probably know this already but the motto around here is; Pics or it never happened;)

:W Welcome to LvC!

Great story. Hope to read more about you and your sons build project.

You probably know this already but the motto around here is; Pics or it never happened;)

:W Welcome to LvC!

Thanks! i couldn't agree more... so, here is a teaser!

BEFORE
2013-04-19_19-03-03_944.jpg

AFTER
2013-05-07_06-44-45_46.jpg

2013-05-07_06-44-04_588.jpg

2013-05-07_06-44-59_526.jpg

2013-04-19_19-03-03_944.jpg

2013-05-07_06-44-04_588.jpg

2013-05-07_06-44-45_46.jpg

2013-05-07_06-44-59_526.jpg

please excuse the duct tape, i had to know what it sounded like with the silencer off... an intake tube is in the future.

also, i didnt get to see the way the filter installed...so i improvised, think im going to keep it this way...maybe i will add the other bracket for more stability.

Members online

Back