Rough running ls

I wonder why oil is getting in. The solenoid thing that has a flex tube has oil pooled up in it. Is there something that is supposed to keep the oil out? Pcv valve do that?

you'd think it should stop it to the point that it doesn't soak the inside of the intake.

usually if getting oil into intake it means that your pcv isn't functioning properly,
smokes from valve cover ? ( excessive blow-by )

It may be getting excessive crankcase pressure from somewhere.

I would like to point out that the TPS codes indicate an open circuit at the TPS itself.

Also, the mention of unplugging the TPS with no change in the way the engine is running.

This sounds exactly like a TPS problem and TPS sensors are not too hard to test.

Check it:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_tps_test/ford_diagnose_tps_1.php

The test above is for a 4.6 or 5.4 BUT the LS V8 uses the same TPS as the Mustang 4.6.

All you need is a Multi-meter for checking voltage and continuity or just spend 30 dollars and replace the TPS from AutoZone.

DO NOT MODIFY THE IDLE IN ANY WAY. THERE IS MINIMAL PLAY ON THE FACTORY TPS SO THE NEW TPS CAN BE INSTALLED WITHOUT ADJUSTMENT IN MOST CASES.

Using the multi-meter, the TPS is easy to calibrate if you want to be certain of the below idle and WOT readings.

One last note. In my experience if you have a MAF sensor that is bad your car will likely not accelerate smoothly and/or idle at all.

Oil in the intake indicates a bad PCV.

A cracked intake is a troublesome part because the size of the crack could have drastic differences in idle and accelleration. Normally an intake leak will affect the idle first and it'll be higher than normal.

My 10 cents...

No smoke just running rough and odd noise in engine bay. But noise is probably part of it running rough. If bank two is still misfiring and al new cops and spark plugs what should I look for?

No smoke just running rough and odd noise in engine bay. But noise is probably part of it running rough. If bank two is still misfiring and al new cops and spark plugs what should I look for?

If you don't have oil on the tops of the plugs or cop boots then your miss is caused by the richer condition. The TPS will cause a rich condition if the PCM does not read the proper throttle position.

Think about it this way...

The throttle is closed and the PCM thinks that it is open - so, the pcm increases the fuel to compensate for the open throttle based off of the open loop table used for acceleration; however, the throttle isn't open so the engine gets too much gas.

The extra gas then registers as a rich condition at the O2 sensors.

Unfortunately (fortunately) the LS PCM is extremely sensitive to changes in running conditions and missfires are very common for different reasons.

In your case, trust the codes first.

Lastly, you are getting too much airflow in your intake hose which is causing excessive draw on the valve cover vent resulting in more oil in the intake than normal. Just clean it out every once in a while or go back to the factory air cleaner assembly.

Sounds like a new tps might solve? Can I test the tps? Use a multi meter?

I'd focus on all that oil getting into the intake, it's throwing the whole system off. that and still a possible misfire would explain the black plugs and stink out the exhaust.

too rich.

Can I clean that solenoid up by the throttle body with maf sensor cleaner to get the oil off?

No!

should not be soaked with oil.

what solenoid are you talking about ?

Actually, this is not uncommon on higher mileage 3.9s. It doesn't seem to cause any real problem and as long as you aren't having to add oil between changes, I'd say it's okay. (Take your throttle body off and look inside your intake. You might be surprised to see a pool of oil in the bottom of the intake.)

I'd focus on all that oil getting into the intake, it's throwing the whole system off. that and still a possible misfire would explain the black plugs and stink out the exhaust.

too rich.

I'll counter that and say to focus on the electrical problem. It sounds like too much fuel is the problem.

Should I look at the injectors? I started to pull one injector plug off at a time to see what that would do but the first two I pulled off the little plastic plug broke. Do these injectors stick open? With all new spark plugs and cops maybe On the fuel side of it?

Should I look at the injectors? I started to pull one injector plug off at a time to see what that would do but the first two I pulled off the little plastic plug broke. Do these injectors stick open? With all new spark plugs and cops maybe On the fuel side of it?

Why not go after your TPS or wiring problem first?

The connectors to the injectors are easy to break. You will have to replace those two or glue or strap them to the injector.
If an injector were stuck open, the engine would be flooded and it would be difficult to impossible to start it and keep it running. They do leak sometimes, but that causes starting problems long before you get to any rich running problems.

How do I test the tps?

The best way is with a scan tool. What the TPS readings as you open and close the throttle. They should be smooth and rational.
2nd Best is with an ohm meter with the sensor disconnected from the car's wiring. You would also have to test the wiring between the TPS and the PCM for opens and shorts.

I'm not educated on electrical testing. When checking for shorts how do I read that on ohm meter? Also what am I looking for on ohm when testing tps?

joegr, I was given to understand that the intake was full of oil, I didn't think this to be normal nor good for it for that matter.

Not full of oil but definitely has a decent wet amount of engine oil that made it through in the intake tube to where the second flex tub attaches by the throttle body

it was a late night last night.

i know, i was having trouble describing it. thank you for all the help.

could egr be a problem? i was talking with a guy and he mentioned to check that.

Stop messing around and do what joegr says..it will save you a bunch of typing and a bunch of headaches.

He knows what he is talking about.

i will test the wiring and the tps tonight after work. are there any specs or instructions to do it?

Members online

Back