Seen This Car at Wal-Mart

All this fancy electirc crap is stupid.

Natural gas and diesel are the way to go.

Natural gas is not viable in our infrastructure. It's far more efficient (and cheaper) to use natural gas to generate electricity for the grid, and power electric vehicles.

Diesel is a fine power source, but it's still made from oil.

First they all worried about noise pollution, then when they start building cars that make no noise what so ever, they insist on external speakers to come up with at least some noise.

did you guys here it on youTube ? ... like a little spaceship.

I think they ought to make them have a sound like the Jetson's cars and have a loud horn that says "Ruh Roh!"

Natural gas in not viable in our infrastructure. It's far more efficient (and cheaper) to use natural gas to generate electricity for the grid, and power electric vehicles.

Diesel is a fine power source, but it still made from oil.

The employee shuttle ive been riding to work from the employee parking lot for four years now is natural gas. Airport has its own refilling station. They are just very loud. They also have pickups, vans, and passenger vehicle that run off NG.

Diesel can be made from stuff that we normally dispose of. You can get 40mpg passenger cars with diesel, they just wont allow it. Burns way cleaner as well.

Natural gas in not viable in our infrastructure. It's far more efficient (and cheaper) to use natural gas to generate electricity for the grid, and power electric vehicles.

Diesel is a fine power source, but it still made from oil.

Do you believe in the Fossil Fuel Theory?

Don't fall for it. There is plenty of oil right here in North America.

Don't believe those environmentalist either.

The exhaust from New Diesel trucks is cleaner than the air they intake.

The employee shuttle ive been riding to work from the employee parking lot for four years now is natural gas. Airport has its own refilling station. They are just very loud. They also have pickups, vans, and passenger vehicle that run off NG.

Diesel can be made from stuff that we normally dispose of. You can get 40mpg passenger cars with diesel, they just wont allow it. Burns way cleaner as well.

Buses and fleet vehicles are the only things that benefit from natural gas because of a centralized re-fueling station. To allow passenger cars to run on natural gas, we would have to convert every gas station to allow natural gas. By then, we would probably have a better alternative. Not to mention the cost..

Diesel doesn't burn clean. In some aspects, it's worse than gasoline. But I won't argue, I support diesel.

... Diesel is a fine power source, but it's still made from oil.

... Diesel doesn't burn clean. In some aspects, it's worse than gasoline. But I won't argue, I support diesel.

A little insight on the big Diesel pollutants.

DEF (DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID) since 2010 ... to ensure the combustion of soot and prevent unburnt fuel from being emitted.

All newer model diesel trucks operate with SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) systems.

scr_diagram.jpg

Selective catalytic reduction is used to reduce the amount of nitrogen oxides released into the air using DEF.
Diesel exhaust fluid (from the DEF tank located in large trucks) is injected into the exhaust as it moves through the engine where it then vaporizes.

It's a pain in the ass but much cleaner for the environment. Requires filing of a separate smaller tank with DEF fluid. (1/3 horse pee)

6a00d83451b3c669e20133f2678606970b-800wi.jpg

Buses and fleet vehicles are the only things that benefit from natural gas because of a centralized re-fueling station. To allow passenger cars to run on natural gas, we would have to convert every gas station to allow natural gas. By then, we would probably have a better alternative. Not to mention the cost..

Diesel doesn't burn clean. In some aspects, it's worse than gasoline. But I won't argue, I support diesel.

The new diesel trucks are required to have Diesel Particulate Filters which remove the soot from the exhaust and Urea based Diesel Exhaust Fluid as an after treatment. This technology is called Selective Catalytic Reduction. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Catalytic_Reduction#section_6

Trust me, you can heat your house with the exhaust of the newer trucks.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

Last edited:
Yup...and when the DEF gets low the computer wont let you use it, even if your fuel tank is full. Older diesel trucks were dirty and loud....new ones are clean and as quiet as gas engines.

I'm fully aware on how the new systems work. It bugs me when people say "clean diesel" it's not totally clean. "Cleaner diesel" is a better term. But I'm not arguing with you guys I support diesel. I have some studies on my computer if I have time I'll dig them up later.

100% electric cars are a great solution for urbanites that never leave the confines of their beloved cities. Or municipal vehicles like taxis, buses, etc etc. Some city dwelling person who commutes 25 miles to work a day would save a good bit of coin driving a leaf. They have their roles but I don't like them. Call me old fashioned but I enjoy all the malicious workings that come together to creating the living beating heart of a car.

I personally liked the volt's approach. No it's not the best hybrid by any measure but you can still get that daily no gas commute, and the American road trip is still a viable option because when it's all juiced out it’s just another high mpg 4 cylinder car.

My .02

100% electric cars are a great solution for urbanites that never leave the confines of their beloved cities. Or municipal vehicles like taxis, buses, etc etc. Some city dwelling person who commutes 25 miles to work a day would save a good bit of coin driving a leaf. They have their roles but I don't like them. Call me old fashioned but I enjoy all the malicious workings that come together to creating the living beating heart of a car.

I personally liked the volt's approach. No it's not the best hybrid by any measure but you can still get that daily no gas commute, and the American road trip is still a viable option because when it's all juiced out it’s just another high mpg 4 cylinder car.

My .02

I really wish they'd have done without the battery pack on the Volt, and just gone full serial hybrid with it. With a small turbodiesel they could have gotten well over 100MPG out of it and it would have operated exactly like any other car on the road, ie get in and drive, stopping to fill the tank when necessary. And at 100+MPG, a 5 gallon tank would suffice.

This is why I believe in Tesla. 265 miles a charge. Superchargers offer 150+ miles in a half hour.No one in the industry is close to them. Whether it be fuel cells or batteries, electric drivetrains are not going away. Their efficiency compared to IC engines is something like 70% to 20%.

This is why I believe in Tesla. 265 miles a charge. Superchargers offer 150+ miles in a half hour.No one in the industry is close to them. Whether it be fuel cells or batteries, electric drivetrains are not going away. Their efficiency compared to IC engines is something like 70% to 20%.

The fine print is that using the "superchargers" more than every great once in a while kills the battery life. Instead of a few years, you get a few months.

I'm all for fully electric cars. They just aren't there (for me) yet.

MIT has devised a replacable electrolyte battery. It uses two tanks, one to store the anode material and one for the cathode material, and an ion exchange membrane to generate the actual electrical discharge. When the electrolyte is drained of electrical power, you can drain the tanks and refill with fresh electrolyte, then be on your way. The drain and fill process takes about 10 minutes. They have to increase the power potential by a factor of 10 and will need to come up with a way to distribute the electrolyte across the country before it will be ready for use as an electric car battery. This is when I figure the electric car can go mainstream as this is when you will be able to drive X number of miles, stop at a station to recharge, then 10 minutes later drive off with a "full tank". This battery will also allow the car makers to design the battery to the car rather than designing the car to the battery as they have to do now.

Oh, and when we do get to the electric car I plan to modify my sound generator to "stock car". Blumpety blumpety blumpety WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :D

Very true!
Solyndra, A123 and Fisker; worse investments ever made. Don't know how many more billions need to be wasted, to understand the technology isn't there yet.
If, any of them projected prominent vision, many private equity firms would have bought and capitalized on them.

Most European midsize luxury cars equipped with the diesel engines, such as the 5 series, E class and the like, produce up to 60mpg. Importing those to US would make the king of Dubai too upset, as we wouldn't be as reliant on oil.

On another note, i have liked the alluring styling on the Fisker, as i find the Tesla to be austere. Too bad, it's not the other way around.

It's a pain in the ass but much cleaner for the environment. Requires filing of a separate smaller tank with DEF fluid. (1/3 horse pee)

The procedure isn't too bad, at least not on our F550. Less than 5 minutes to refill it, with the containers available at the dealerships.
Diesels have come a long way. Clean, extremely quite and no more extension cords in the winter time.

I really wish they'd have done without the battery pack on the Volt, and just gone full serial hybrid with it. With a small turbodiesel they could have gotten well over 100MPG out of it and it would have operated exactly like any other car on the road, ie get in and drive, stopping to fill the tank when necessary. And at 100+MPG, a 5 gallon tank would suffice.

They need to go Diesel-Electric like locomotives and have a traction motor setup. General Motors are experts at this so there's NO EXCUSE! Has anyone seen the cost to replace and dispose of those batteries?

Then what? On our summer trips I routinely drive 700+ miles. One of the car rags I read tried to take a Tesla from San Bernardino to Vegas. They barely made it and didn't exceed 60mph! That must have been a fun trip! Now that they're there they have to wait at least 12 hours to charge the battery (by all means NEVER run the battery to zero or you have a $100K brick!). While they're still waiting for their car to charge I'm in SLC settling in for the night (and that's leaving from SAN!).

As for cleanliness, electricity has to be generated somehow. It's not like it just magically appears! There hasn't been a power station built here in decades. Just how are we going to supply power to hundreds of thousands trying to charge their cars while running the A/C, computers and the myriad other electronic devices. And no, not all of the charging will be done while we sleep. It will be done while at work because the 95 mile range of the Leaf is really 40 or less in traffic with the A/C running.

The fuel cell emits water vapor, correct? Can you say Green House? Look what has happened to Phoenix with all the residents putting in pools. It's not a dry heat anymore. The RH has gone up quite a bit since the Valley of Sun got heavily populated.

The electric car has been around at least as long as the internal combustion engine. There is a very good reason one is mainstream and the other a niche technology.

I don't think that you are going to get the advantages that you want without some batteries. Even with a generator setup, the batteries get you two things.

1. You recapture some of the energy lost in braking. Instead of all of it going to heat the pads and rotors, some of it can be used to recharge the batteries.

2. Batteries can supply extra power for acceleration, allowing you to use a smaller generator.

Otherwise, I doubt a generator/motor setup can do better than a continuously variable transmission.

Very true!
Solyndra, A123 and Fisker; worse investments ever made. Don't know how many more billions need to be wasted, to understand the technology isn't there yet.
If, any of them projected prominent vision, many private equity firms would have bought and capitalized on them.

Most European midsize luxury cars equipped with the diesel engines, such as the 5 series, E class and the like, produce up to 60mpg.

The procedure isn't too bad, at least not on our F550. Less than 5 minutes to refill it, with the containers available at the dealerships.
Diesels have come a long way. Clean, extremely quite and no more extension cords in the winter time.

The Bozo used to rant about his BlueTec getting near 50 mpg with 500 ppm then going down to just about 40 mpg with the 15 ppm. SCR has brought back much of the fuel economy of Big Trucks because they don't have to regen as often. SCR is very expensive but it can bring back 2-3 mpg on an average run.

Then what? On our summer trips I routinely drive 700+ miles. One of the car rags I read tried to take a Tesla from San Bernardino to Vegas. They barely made it and didn't exceed 60mph! That must have been a fun trip! Now that they're there they have to wait at least 12 hours to charge the battery (by all means NEVER run the battery to zero or you have a $100K brick!). While they're still waiting for their car to charge I'm in SLC settling in for the night (and that's leaving from SAN!).

As for cleanliness, electricity has to be generated somehow. It's not like it just magically appears! There hasn't been a power station built here in decades. Just how are we going to supply power to hundreds of thousands trying to charge their cars while running the A/C, computers and the myriad other electronic devices. And no, not all of the charging will be done while we sleep. It will be done while at work because the 95 mile range of the Leaf is really 40 or less in traffic with the A/C running.

The fuel cell emits water vapor, correct? Can you say Green House? Look what has happened to Phoenix with all the residents putting in pools. It's not a dry heat anymore. The RH has gone up quite a bit since the Valley of Sun got heavily populated.

The electric car has been around at least as long as the internal combustion engine. There is a very good reason one is mainstream and the other a niche technology.

If your driving 700+ mile an EV is NOT meant for you and won't be for awhile. The only thing hindering the electric car is the lack of technology. We are far from having them go mainstream and it would'nt happen overnight. Electricity is such a flexible energy ie. Wind solar, bio, nuclear etc. It's the logical alternative to gas and diesel NOT the solution.

I can just see this now in ten years time, young punks lining up at the lights, seeing who's got the bigger battery!

Modifying their external pedestrian-alert audio systems with bigger & baddest of growls.

~ please shoot me by then.

Members online

No members online now.
Back