Steering Sway left to right once I hit about 60 mph

Aviation

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
As you may recall I had the ball joints replaced recently. Now I notice this sway at highway speeds, I can hold the wheel perfectly still and feel the car go a little to the left, few seconds later a little to the right, and repeat

This could have been happening before and I just figured it was the ball joints,

But this is super annoying on the highway, feels like theres constant high winds and I have to try to keep correcting to stay in my lane

Yes, there was an issue where one side was already in alignment and I had to buy a part with adjustable spacers for him to get the other side in alignment.

Both sides were said to be in spec when this was done,

but that does seem odd

Mine did that recently. I replaced the intermediate shaft and the wandering seems to have vanished.

YMMV

i had this symptom until i replaced my rear adjustable links. the rubber bushing was shot at each end and was allowing the rear tire to more back and forth about a full inch.

if i accelerated, the car pushed a little left, when i let off the car pushed a little right. and if i went a constant speed it would sway back a forth.

Weird, mine started swaying a bit also after I had an alignment done. It feels a bit shaky. It was fine before the alignment.

Weird, mine started swaying a bit also after I had an alignment done. It feels a bit shaky. It was fine before the alignment.

Maybe they messed something up or forgot to tighten something. I would take it back.

Ive also seen that bad bushings can cause this?

Wish I knew whether it was an alignment or not so I could blame it on the shop lol

Ive also seen that bad bushings can cause this?

Wish I knew whether it was an alignment or not so I could blame it on the shop lol

i agree with joegr, just take it back. play dumb if you have to.
alternatively you can take it to another shop that does free alignment check to verify. but you know how that goes. unqualified ppl do alignments at some shops, so its hit and miss

Mine did that recently. I replaced the intermediate shaft and the wandering seems to have vanished.

YMMV

interesting assessment, did anyone else who replaced the int shaft notice improvements?

mine wanders more than i would like. int shaft has always made the same amount of noise, though the unstable feeling has gotten worse. i could see your assessment playing out... my symptom improved a lot with new tires, but there is still something to be desired. i need new sway bar end links too so i think i will do those first

interesting assessment, did anyone else who replaced the int shaft notice improvements?

mine wanders more than i would like. int shaft has always made the same amount of noise, though the unstable feeling has gotten worse. i could see your assessment playing out... my symptom improved a lot with new tires, but there is still something to be desired. i need new sway bar end links too so i think i will do those first

Interestingly enough, the "wander" is totally gone. The only difference is the intermediate shaft replacement.

Slide under the car behind the rear tires and check the Toe Links inside the wheels, see if they look like these. Once I had these replaced my swaying was gone. (I found these by looking myself, after going to 2 different shops that didn't notice them).

0811111052.jpg

0811111057a.jpg

0811111922.jpg

wow, mine were not quite that bad, but they did have a bit of slop in them. i would never return to a shop that didn't notice something like that...

Slide under the car behind the rear tires and check the Toe Links inside the wheels, see if they look like these. Once I had these replaced my swaying was gone. (I found these by looking myself, after going to 2 different shops that didn't notice them).

Cool, thanks, I will check this after work.

the toe links are just on the rear tires?

Or do they need to be checked in the front as well?

the toe links the same thing as sway bar links?

No. BASICALLY, the stabilizer bar links connect the stabilizer bar to the frame. The toe links connect the wheel knuckle to the frame.

BTW, NO car has a sway bay. They are anti-sway or stabilizer bars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back