More people going to Springs over Air?

DieselDan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have noticed more and more people it seems are converting to coil springs over air springs. I just last week installed a pair of Super Coupe front struts and set them to firm. I don't know why I hadn't done this sooner! The front is now as firm as my rear Bilsteins. (With the sway bars, the car handles so much better.)

Anyways, back on topic. It seems that there are fewer vendors selling remanufactured air shocks for the front than used to. I was wondering if that was the main reason so many people were converting. I'm not spending that kind of dough for a set of OEMs, (don't get me wrong, I wish I could afford that.) but it just seems like they aren't available anywhere. That and my other thought was that all the old shock cores are going on 20yrs old now. Brand new bag, old ass shock...

So, is that kind of the general consensus on converting now?

it be great if we could get some better springs made. not saying names, but ones i have are way to soft and even are replacements cause last ones were soft.

I think it's a money thing, new oems are pricey. Also one can have peace of mind not having to worry about finicky air ride problems.

As for reman's why don't someone figure out how to change out the shock cartridge of the bag? My car has never had an air ride problem, 21 yrs old air bags and no leaks but sure could use new shocks becouse my car rides rough.

I'll be the first to say. It's a bittersweet swap for me. I've loved air and wish I could stay. I put a new OEM air shock on pass side and have about 3k miles on it. The compressor (third one) has quit on me and im just sinking money in it just so a can soy the car 1/2" from the ground when I lay it out.

I'm swapping to springs currently and I vow to be the lowest mark on springs. :D

gotta keep it low.

20130309_214326-1.jpg

These ride incredible, even with 18s

If I ever wet back to air ride, it would have to be a complete aftermarket setup with an asham controller

Arnott no longer sells Remans. Neither does American Air Suspension. Suncore Industries advertises remans but they are out of stock and their OEMs are marked up to $699 a side. F that.

Isaiah i cant wait to see how it looks....did you end up cutting the springs? If you did i need to know which springs you used and how much you cut off them ****ers.

Coil springs are no fuss no muss. Marks are constantly dropping, in their worth, and quite frankly, leaking bags a key reason why we can buy them for as cheap as we can buy them.

What ever happened to the AAS "Prototype" shocks that billcu was testing?

He quit with that but the air shock is being sold by another company somewhere. I'm quite happy with the OEM myself and I don't feel like $600 for both was too much to spend for it to last hopefully another 10 to 15 years, if I even have it that long.

I just last week installed a pair of Super Coupe front struts and set them to firm. I don't know why I hadn't done this sooner! The front is now as firm as my rear Bilsteins. (With the sway bars, the car handles so much better.)

awesome, so you like them, i need to be on the look out for some

I had to drive my mark on springs for 3 years, this is the first year I have air back. I've said it before but the air ride is what sold this car, along with other aspects but I am a purest.

Every time I bring my T to a car show someone offers me allot of cash because it's an all original unmolested car. I feel that I need to maintain the air ride as long as I can. What ever I lost in handling by not going to tokicos I'm ok with, I'll make it up somewhere else.

AIR Bags are still the wind beneath my cheeks and always will be!!

:dancefool

I think the main thing here is though, due to cost it is becoming cost prohibitive for most people to keep air... Diminishing supply and whatnot.

just finished the convert on my white one...the sigh of relief with that first test drive, not hearing the comp, not wondering, 'what next' is pretty dam sweet

If I "had" to drive my car springs would make good sense, but since its just a toy I will do what it takes to keep the air. No matter how many people say they got a "better" ride going to coils; I have owned enough Thunderbirds to know that springs just can't match the comfort that air provides.

-Alan

Members online

No members online now.
Back