96 plug wire arrangement

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read the 96 Mark VIII has a different plug wire arrangement than 93-95? Can anyone shed some light?

It is the same for '93-'95, not '96.

For some reason, on the '96 the 1 & 6 coil positions are reversed on the passenger side and the 2 & 8 coil positions are reversed on the drivers side.

'93-'95:

1-3 7-8
6-5 4-2

'96:

6-3 7-2
1-5 4-8

Ya, they changed it. Why, no one knows. But it does not matter which way you go. 1&6 fire at the same time, so does 3&5, 7&4, 8&2. There are only 4 triggers. This is to burn off anything left in the combustion chamber on the downstroke. In theory you could drop a 4 banger in there and it would run just the same.

Can someone post a pic from a manual from alldata or something similar? Also, does that mean that the oem motorcraft coil packs are unique to the 96 since they have the cylinder firing order on them?

It is the same for '93-'95, not '96.

For some reason, on the '96 the 1 & 6 coil positions are reversed on the passenger side and the 2 & 8 coil positions are reversed on the drivers side.

'93-'95:

1-3 7-8
6-5 4-2

'96:

6-3 7-2
1-5 4-8

My '94 is wired up the '96 way you have listed...

My '94 is wired up the '96 way you have listed...

...it does not matter which way you go. 1&6 fire at the same time, so does 3&5, 7&4, 8&2...

The polarity matters if/when you use OEM half platinum plugs.

icm.jpg

coils.jpg

plugwires.jpg

Common mistake is to mis-wire 1 & 2 as well as 5 & 6 at the plugs(the short 2 wires on the front of each side).

I can post the same pics for the '96 tonight from my service manual CD at home.

You need to pull the intake tube and the spark plug well covers to tell if the wires are going to the correct cylinder. But from the pic, it appears you have the '96 wiring.

I don't know why mine is wired up the same way as the '96. The plugs and wires have never never been changed...

My 96 is wired as a 93-95 when I converted to COP. Like said, it really only matters if you have the factory OEM plugs still in, even then I dont see why it would be a huge deal.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm doing a plug change again today. So I thought I'd wire them up the way they say in the manual and see how it runs.
I'll update this later after the tuneup etc...

I drove around a bit with the wires hooked up both ways and let it idle too for a few to see if there was any difference, and there is none I can tell of... No codes or CE lights either way yet...
My coils are labelled and have been hooked up the way the '96 diagram goes since it was made.
Now... I still don't know why, lol...
:drunk:

I brought back this thread to demonstrate what I am talking about in the spark plug thread. There are two different diagrams shown. the one in the sixth post is for a '93-95. The one in the tenth post is for a '96. As you can see the numbering is different but the actual routing that is shown is identical. Apparently it doesn't matter.

accoriding to the bible (specification book passenger car front &rear wheel drive)powertrain ,page 198:a "three different styles of platium enhanced spark plugs are proudced for the 4.6L (4V) continental engine. each plug has a different part numberand use AWSF-32Espark plugs have a platinum enhanced center electrode and are used in cylinders 5678. AWSF-32EG spark plugs have a platinum enhanced ground (side)electrode, and are used in cylinders 1,2,3 and four. if any sparkplugs is removed and reinstalled, it must be installed in the same cylinder from which it was removed. if any is replaced use onlyspark plugs with part numberAWSF-32 EE(as listed on the VECI label). This replacement spark plug has double platium enchancement on both the center and ground electrode and may be used in all six cylinders." That said it would mean that the early engines used the electron flow to get a better fire pattern in the cylinders and longer plug life. so ithink that they came to decide that the wire routeing didn't matter and took the shorter route to get the job done and save money on wire. a penny here and there puts money in fords bank. BEAN COUNTERS.

Members online

Back