HID in 96

JOHN1242

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone simply bought an HID kit and did the plug and play thing in a 96 with halogen wiring and housings? no additional harness. just plugged the factory lines into the supplied lines going into the ballasts, then into the 9005 HID bulb and screwed in into the housing. I have seen a ton a videos on this on youtube, guys doing it in 15 minutes(LOL), and pure plug and play. I dont believe this. Especially on our Marks. But if it did work, and gave me some resemblance of light coming out the front better than my Silverstar Ultras, i would try it for sure. The kits are $50 everywhere. and no, I'd rather not buy the 96 HID housings that were optional , and no, i dont want to take apart the housings and "fix" them. I just want to know if any of you have tried it and what was the result ,, and was it plug and play? or was it cut ,, and crimp,,, and plug,, and play??
Thanks guys.

and thanks to Jeremi for your help on my 98! if u read this, still good

Same as a 9005 bulb, if there is nothing there to reflect the light you output will be the same with just a different color bulb.

and going to Silverstar Ultras over stock helped , so it must be doing something

You can put anything that you can fit into the headlight but if the reflectors are gone they will not be real bright. You should put a relay between the factory wiring and the ballast, some people have burnt up stuff with the HID ignition pulse. It's real simple and takes under $10 worth of bits and wire.

72 442 eh'. I built a 69 Cutlass up to a fairly ridiculous level, one of my favorite cars ever.

is it always the chrome? or does the narrow front glass suck?

Yellowed and crazed plastic with the combination of burnning chrome is what makes these headlight fail. What is the Watts of the silver stars? You may be just burrning the chrome faster with those.

I have used 3 different hid kits. I have them retrofitted to my 96 hid housings my sons 93 mark and a 94 Crown Vic. I finally did wire in a relay for more consistent lighting of the hid's. Without the relay I might get only one bulb lighting up because of the automatic headlamp switch sending out somewhat irratic signal to ballasts. You also may need to splice 2 wires together at the dimmer switch so the low beams stay lit when on high beam. I've also found out the real cheap el plastic ballasts aren't any good. Either the round ones or square metal look a like but are made out of cheap plastic. I've had ballast failure with those. Get a good metal ballast. Not sure what's out there that I'd recommend. The bulbs themselves last a long time and are much brighter than halogen bulb.

I'm currently running dual 6K HID's in my halogen housings. I have LSC HID housings boxed up for right now but the kits I use are made by Kensun and the lows have a relay connected. I have tried 3 different kits and the Kensun works flawless for me. I too was having one light coming on and if you watch closely with cheaper kits, the lights will dim down about 2 to 3 seconds after they have been turned on. The Kensun kits don't do that. My housings have never had a halogen bulb burned in them and there is not one sign of burning chrome and they were taken out of the box in 2010. The Kensun kits were bought directly from Kensun.com, cheaper than eBay. Their ballasts compensate for any power surge or low power and make up for it in ways that other kits have never done for me.

My multifunction switch is also pinned to have both on at the same time but I never need the brights. I have pics allover the place on here of my light output with the halogen housings. I honestly like them better than the LSC HID housings, with light output and looks with matching the corner lenses but that's just me.

96 MK VIII Headlight

On my 1996 MK VIII I had the headlights removed and opened up and had the reflecting material replaced, imp0roved the output.

Members online

No members online now.
Back