Egr

bwv2k

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have an 01v6 ls. The check engine ligth came on so I went to Autozone to have it checked out. The codes came back showing my EGR valve and EGR soleniod are faulty. What is EGR valve and soleniod and how do they effect the engine. In short, what do they do and how do you clean the system after replacing them?

Egr stands for exhaust gas return.. it introduces exhaust into the intake to prevent detonation.. on my phone so that's all I can help with for now

i have a gen II but i had mine go bad and it was a relatively simple fix, and the part is not too expensive IIRC.

I don't know about V8's but the V6 EGR is right in front of motor. Its so easy to work on its a freebie. LOL

On the V6, the EGR valve is right at the front of the engine on the left side as you look at it from the front of the car. It is easy to remove and it is also possible to clean out these devices and restore normal operation.
Another tip: my 01 V6 threw similar codes a while back and they cleaned the actual EGR valve and replaced the solenoid. However, no more than a couple of hours later it threw the same code again (EGR insufficent flow). A closer examination revealed that the EGR air passages in the throttle body were also carboned up. They just needed to be cleaned out and that restored normal operation. I suspect that my EGR solenoid was fine all along and good cleaning was all that was needed.

Im going to resurrect an old thread from doing a search. i had rough idle problems on my 04 v6 and had the egr cleaned also and it started idling fine. its back to idling really bad again. whats the best way to run seafoam through this car? i had a dakota that i ran seafoam through the vaccum line in the brake booster but theres no hose on this car like that. any suggestions?

... i ran seafoam through the vaccum line in the brake booster but theres no hose on this car like that. any suggestions?

I'm not a fan of Seafoam and I am not advising you to use it. However, I do want to point out that you most certainly do have a large vacuum line from the engine to the brake booster.

do you have a picture? unless im blind or just simply looking right passed it without noticing lol (could very well be the problem) i was almost positive theres no vaccum line to the booster

The brake vacuum booster couldn't work if it wasn't connected to engine vacuum.

Look at the picture in this post.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=2037264089&postcount=16

On the driver's side of the engine is a hose that comes from a black part of a cream colored plastic device (check valve) and runs to the back of the engine and off to over the top of the vacuum booster. On the other side of the master cylinder (can't see the other side in this picture) it connects to the vacuum booster.

The other two connections to the check valve run to the intake manifold (after the throttle) and the intake (before the throttle).

ahh now i see. what would be the best location to feed the seafoam through? im thinking disconnect the hose from the check valve right by the intake. theres a ~4in hose from the intake to the check valve. would it be best to feed it through that short vaccum line straight into the intake?

Personally, I don't recommend it at all due to the danger of hydrolock.

I have an '02 V6 and replaced a couple EGR things (there is something between the firewall and engine that I don't recall the name of). None of that worked until I cleaned the carbon out of the passage on the manifold. NO CLEANER EVEN EFFECTED IT. I had to chip away at the carbon with a long screwdriver and then it ran great.

yeah i know what you mean. i've got 145k miles on it and a lot of the miles were highway from the previous owner (my old neighbor) so im sure the carbon is definitely built up and i also understand seafoam or other additives arent a miracle cure. just trying to figure out things that will help. probably best way of going about it is just tear it apart and take a look myself and see what i can clean out by hand. Dan Ro, What issues were you having prior to replacing the egr things and clearing the carbon out?

Members online

Back