V6 vs V8

V8 for power, and V6 for better mpg. I was getting about 2-3mpg more in the 6(was on 16'' wheels) than I'm getting in my 8(is on 19's). The V6 isn't a turtle, but I wouldn't settle for it after driving the V8.

just curious, why so high on the manual v6?

because its a manual transmission...

auto trans are the toys of the devil! i hate them with a passion, nothing like hitting the gas and waiting for the car to down shift before it goes, hoping that it downshifts enough gears the first time. engine braking. one of the biggest things that drives me crazy about an auto, is when you going through a complex curve and you need to let up on the throttle just for a second as your transitioning from the first curve to the next. with a manual trans you can keep it in the same gear (where you need it) while an auto trans will just shift up.

and anyone that says anything about that SST BS is not a real wheel man. that sh!t is not the same

the added control of having a manual trans makes up a lot for the lack of power in all the motorsl (including the 3.9s)

at the end of the day, a manual trans is just way more enjoyable to drive, and after owning both, the manual V6 is the only 1st gen i would even consider.

Thanks for this thread and the opinions posted in it, both the serious ones and the tongue in cheek ones as well.

In fact I was test driving gen1 and gen 2V8's. The gen2 had over 200K miles and was going strong. My screen name tells you what I think about the V8.
I have not driven a V6 yet. I won't make up my mind until I have done so. I am sensing that either one can provide a luxurious ride at a bargain price.

Thanks for this thread and the opinions posted in it, both the serious ones and the tongue in cheek ones as well.

In fact I was test driving gen1 and gen 2V8's. The gen2 had over 200K miles and was going strong. My screen name tells you what I think about the V8.
I have not driven a V6 yet. I won't make up my mind until I have done so. I am sensing that either one can provide a luxurious ride at a bargain price.

Better hope the previous owner did valve cover gaskets, coils, timing chain tensioners and shift solenoid. For a 200k+ LS you should definitely look into those before you get yourself into more than what you bargained for.

Better hope the previous owner did valve cover gaskets, coils, timing chain tensioners and shift solenoid. For a 200k+ LS you should definitely look into those before you get yourself into more than what you bargained for.

Actually, gen II V8 timing chain tensioners and valve cover gaskets (04 - 06) seem to hold up pretty well. Do you know of any gen II timing chain tensioner failures?

The only reason to choose a V6 is price and condition.
Mine was a hand-me-down and had been garage kept.

Oh, don't worry. I was sampling rides and sniffing out the dealer. I think sampling a high mileage car is a good idea, buying it is a bad one unless it is super cheap.
I look for no more than 120K miles. I expect to turn some wrenches and keep it maybe all the way tot he 200K mark. I am aware of the things to watch out for, thanks to you guys who keep this forum informative and entertaining.:) I really appreciate the "unofficial user's guide" and the tech articles.

holy sh!t, does this guy win a T shirt or something. fairly new, reads stickys, and knows about the tech articles, we need more members like this guy!

After researching the cars, I had no problem deciding on a V8. I am sure the V6's are great, but for me it was V8 or nothing.

how exactly does a motor with about half a liter of displacement per cylinder sound compared to a motor with only about half a liter of displacement per cylinder?

dirty.jpg

well with all the lazy newcomers we get through here, i figure we need to recognize the new guys that can do a little of the work themselves!

And I don't even have an LS yet!

I like their looks and started my research here:http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/lincoln/ls/
Then I wanted to know If I would be able to fix the common problems myself. That's how I found LVC.

Now would someone who has good insurance please total my Ford Windstar?!

p.s. I will pm you my home address so you know where to send the T-shirt! ;-)

how exactly does a motor with about half a liter of displacement per cylinder sound compared to a motor with only about half a liter of displacement per cylinder?

Six bangs per rotation sounds different from 8 bangs per rotation. Has a rougher sound. The more cylinders, the smoother the sound. Ever hear a 5 cyl? Talk about sounding odd... my dad used to have an Acura Vigor with the 5 cyl engine, and it always sounded off.

Six bangs per rotation sounds different from 8 bangs per rotation. Has a rougher sound. The more cylinders, the smoother the sound. Ever hear a 5 cyl? Talk about sounding odd... my dad used to have an Acura Vigor with the 5 cyl engine, and it always sounded off.

Actually has a lot to do with firing order (don't ask me how). One of the big complaints I read about the M5 was the sound from the V10. They said it sounded odd and very un-BMW like.

Yeah, that too. That's why an old Ford V8 always sounded different from an old Gen 1 Chevy even when they had the same displacement. V10s sound pretty odd too. V8s are the only engines that really sound like they got it right.

Actually it is more complicated. A 4cycle single cylinder fires every 2nd rotation meaning every 720 degrees of rotation. An inline 6 fires every 120 degrees (720 / 6), an inline 8 every 90 degrees of rotation. The V formation, and the crank offset makes it an engineering task to get the best compromise in terms of vibration, sound, compact design and weight, cost etc for a particular engine.

Sorry, I just like to split hairs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back