radio harness wire gauge?

Yeah my guess would be around the 20 to 22 gauge.

I can't remember, I was just in there a few weeks back installing my JVC.

I thought 20 but I'm not an electrician so I can't tell precisely by just looking.

Yes, what are you trying to accomplish? For safety, you need the wire gauge to be big enough that the fuse for whatever circuit is powering it will blow before the wire burns.

For sound, generally, the bigger the speaker wire the better - but it is debatable if there is really any benefit to heavy speaker wires in a car at reasonable wattage levels.

The gauge of the factory wiring is different for different wires. The power and ground wires are bigger (lower gauge) than the signal and speaker wires.

I was thinking of using quick-connect clips for them and they run differently depending on the gauge. I ended up getting a wire harness so I would not have to guess.

Here's a silly question that I hope I already know the answer to. In wiring up this mini amp that I bought for my tablet install, I just connect the ground wire from the amp to the ground wire for the harness, right? I don't actually need to find a bolt on the chassis to find a ground, right? It's a mini amp so it'll be in the front of the car, not the trunk.

If this so-called "mini amp" is drawing less than 10-15A of current than you will be fine using the stock wiring harness' ground wire.

You're not splicing the ground wire and grounding two devices on it, are you?

Yes, the ground in the harness should be best.

No, not splicing anything. Wired it all up and it works! With having the base package (no subs) I am definitely missing the rich lows but it's still a decent sound. My driver front speaker is no good so I have to replace that. 6x8, right?

That JVC looks cool but I wasn't trying to spend so much. I saw the app radio 2 for as low as 300 brand new and ALMOST convinced myself to buy it but I decided not to in the end. I'm installing a nexus 7. It's too large for the space provided in our dash but I'm working on fitting it. Everything's wired and I had it temporarily mounted but didn't like the look so back to the drawing board. I ordered a dash kit and it should be here soon. I'm thinking of just making an acrylic backing and calling it a day. We'll see.

I'm just comparing the mounting depths of units I see going into the dash. I've already bought my head unit but haven't installed it yet. Just wondering how umch of a PITA it's going to be to get everything crammed in there.

Have you had the radio out yet? There is a metal crossbeam behind it that you will need to work around. I had trouble just adding a wiring harness to mine. The radio must be pretty close to that bar as the harness had to go underneath it. My iPod adapter had to be pushed to the side, over the glove box. It's that tight back there!

Members online

Back