Really exciting technology...

Can't watch vid at work but
3D printing works quite well guy i worked with used one in school.

I wish I knew where there was one near me, I need to have some proto stuff done.

You can buy your own 3d printer. I've thought about getting one for my 12yr old. I've seen them on Craigslist. Of course you're not going to make very precise stuff with a printer costing less than $1000, but you can still get your feet wet and move up from there.

They can 3d print things that are impossible to machine any other way. They can print bearings with the balls in the race. Yes, they can print balls and all. Just for fun they can print two interlocked bearings.

It's theoretically possible to print a human heart using heart cells as the media.

They already use 3d printing for facial bone reconstruction. They can use an MRI (I think that's right) to make a 3d image of the broken bones in the skull and then 3d print a model of the skull. Then they can 3d print the replacement bone pieces and test fit them.

There's still a long ways to go for super precision but yes, it is the future and yes, there is money to be made even with home models.

Wait a minute. What are they using for a material. This isn't your normal toner and color is it. My question is. How can they use metal and bone

Composite resin mostly but just about anything they want.
They've made working guns, gears, wrenches, and the list goes on.
Jay leno talked about printing missing script emblems for one of his restorations and it being a perfect match.

Wait a minute. What are they using for a material. This isn't your normal toner and color is it. My question is. How can they use metal and bone

Not bone. I'm not sure what, but something the body doesn't reject that they can attach to the existing bone.

3d printing produces form, but not function? i.e the shell but not the bone marow, which is where red blood cells originate:
---
"In adults, hematopoiesis takes place in the red marrow of the skull, ribs, sternum, vertebrae, pelvis and proximal ends of the femur and humerus."

Really this is not all that new. 3D printing has been around for awhile. There are already all kinds of businesses using 3D printing. I was doing some machining on a part not long ago that was 3D printed. There was concern that I might hit voids, but that didn't happen. The technology is constantly advancing.

There are also regular people making money with 3D printing. You can buy your own. Here's one, for example.http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/3673042833.html

I personally like that they can print in Stainless Steel.

Opens up an entire new world for what we would be able to create in our shop :D

Members online

Back