Cooling fan question

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
mine is still working, but I'm not sure if it's working 100% effectively- thinking maybe the motor is getting worn out resulting in reduced cfm and compromised cooling potential
I just changed the ofa gask and have burped the system (correctly I'm pretty sure) and the temp gauge seems like it's too close to 'N' and 'O' too much of the time. (this was also the case before refilling coolant)
When I shut the car off and exit, it sounds like the fan is making a bunch of racket as it spins to a stop; like bad bearings maybe?
---
How can I t/s t see if something (fan assembly, fan motor, fan clutch?) should be replaced?
-'96 base, the brown one

mine is still working, but I'm not sure if it's working 100% effectively- thinking maybe the motor is getting worn out resulting in reduced cfm and compromised cooling potential
I just changed the ofa gask and have burped the system (correctly I'm pretty sure) and the temp gauge seems like it's too close to 'N' and 'O' too much of the time. (this was also the case before refilling coolant)
When I shut the car off and exit, it sounds like the fan is making a bunch of racket as it spins to a stop; like bad bearings maybe?
---
How can I t/s t see if something (fan assembly, fan motor, fan clutch?) should be replaced?
-'96 base, the brown one

It s a electric fan so theres no clutch. (Edit: Not a 2 way :shifty:)

Do both speeds work? Any obvious noises minus whatever you hear when you turn it off? Any play in the motor/fan/housing? Everything secured tightly?

Do both speeds work?
not sure, when does it go to/from hi/low speeds? should the fan go into high speed when coolant is > tstat temp AND a/c ON? any other times? should it ever kick onto high with the a/c OFF?

Any obvious noises minus whatever you hear when you turn it off?
nah, it just noisily comes to rest...no clank or rattle to speak of

Any play in the motor/fan/housing? Everything secured tightly?
will check tonight....it should be secured tightly: I've done no maint in that area that would inadvertently loosen it

When fan kicks on due to temp command (speed 1)
When AC is -also- engaged (speed 2)

Is this a project car or does it just have different issues on a daily basis? I have been wondering that for a while now.
d/d......about 500/week currently at 180k, so it's kind of a project :shifty:
...I've been wondering for awhile why the temp needle stays around "R" and "O" and often gets too close to "N" on the brown one
---
the fp, grill, and (2nd) ofa gask went on the brown one, the hub swap, front brake upgrade and 17'' Cobra's will go on the brown one...the white one is the project priority #2; it will get new/used coils and the tires from the brown one post hub swap..then I can drive it (without heat)...remodeled headlights also pending on the white one
---
daily basis? it seems that way
---

T-bird cooling fans are two speed.

The Mark VIII fan is variable speed.

yeah. the mark viii fan is definitely variable speed.
i can listen to mine speed up in small increments as the engine warms in my driveway.

I checked it (fan speed) before driving home tonight.
First I added some distilled water b/c the reservoir was below the bottom normal mark with the engine cold and not running. It seems like I have to loosen, not remove, the reserve tank cap to add coolant at the x-over top without it overflowing from the x-over top even though the reserve tank is low. Is that right?
---
I also waited for the fan to kick on, then switched from heat to a/c 60 degrees: no obvious change in fan speed with the a/c on- it was 45 degrees outside.

You have a 96 it doesn't have 2 speeds. It uses PWM (pulse width modulation) circuitry to control fan speed as dictated by the PCM. After the car is cooled down, you can move the fan by hand to see if its binding up. Move the fan by hand in both directions. IF you feel or hear a difference, its time to change the motor.

My 96 used to stay up between the O and R. Then I noticed a leak, and replaced the radiator. Went right down to A. Occationally it will rise to M, but then drop back to A. You may have a clogged radiator.

my white '96 does stay around "A' or 'M' -that's why I know the brown one ain't right
---
-in the past, when I had different hobbies, I used a local shop to work on this car; they jipped me on some front end work. I also used them to replace a non-leaking radi (shame on me) for this exact reason- too close to 'N'. That was about 50k miles ago, they may have punked me on this radi as well, I never noticed a change after the radi was replaced...too bad I sent back that all aluminum radi back to the vendor!

the only thing about the fan that seems slightly questionable is that it creaks like an old rusty gate if I lightly spin it ; if I give it a good strong whirl it flows freely, in both directions..
.I have a fan I pulled from a '94 with about 110k....useless to me :(
..anybody need it?
---
how can I confirm or rule out a clogged radi?

All fans are the same.. the plugs and VCRMs are different.

Dns, keep the spare fan, any Mark VIII owner should have a tub of spare parts.. I have 2 tubs.
2 spare fans, starter, 2 alternators, ecu, AC compressor and drier, for some reason I've got 5 fuel rails, 30-40 injectors, 2 full sets of coils, and a bunch of random stuff
..you never know when something is gonna fail
I even have 2 spare front bumpers, Gen 2 hood and a gen2 right fender

Actually the 97 fan is supposed to have a little less grab, and the 98 a little bit less than the 97. While gen I's run at 1100 low 1800 high, gen II's run 1800 low and 2200 high.

eh, okay...it looks like the fan motor that's in there is not the problem- it spins freely both directions and has no excessive front/back 'play'...at what point do I conclude my radi is clogged?
---
can't the radi have restricted flow levels, without actually being fully clogged- resulting in inadequate heat removal? kinda like the diseased arteries and veins I see at work

at what point do i conclude my radi is clogged?

When it doesn't drain? :shifty:

every-time-you-ask-a-stupid-question-don-t-ask-stupid-questi-demotivational-poster-1254962052.jpg

eh...I just drained it doing the ofa gask...I did not FLUSH it, would that make any difference with it running hot?
---
possible culprits? heater core obstruction? inefficient water pump?
this morning I drove to work: 45 miles, cruising at 65- 70 non-stop in 34 degree weather, the needle went up quick and STAYED around "R" and "O"...even got close to "N" a few times....something's not right

eh...I just drained it doing the ofa gask...I did not FLUSH it, would that make any difference with it running hot?
---
possible culprits? heater core obstruction? inefficient wter pmp?
this morning I drove to work: 45 miles, cruising at 65- 70 non-stop in 34 degree weather, the needle went up quick and STAYED around "R" and "O"...even got close to "N" a few times....something's not right
---
do I LOOK like I care how many kittens there are?
---
u should get your m.o. today or tomorrow...enjoy your vices

You probably didn't burp it correctly. Open your hood and snap a pic of the coolant bottle area to include the driver fender and post it :)

any Mark VIII owner should have a tub of spare parts.. I have 2 tubs.
2 spare fans, starter, 2 alternators, ecu, AC compressor and drier, for some reason I've got 5 fuel rails, 30-40 injectors, 2 full sets of coils, and a bunch of random stuff
..you never know when something is gonna fail
I even have 2 spare front bumpers, Gen 2 hood and a gen2 right fender

Rookie! :D

I have so many parts I use mark VIII"s as lawn ornaments.

You probably didn't burp it correctly. Open your hood and snap a pic of the coolant bottle area to include the driver fender and post it :)

I'll bet that's the problem too. It took me a couple of days to fully burp mine.

not sure what yer gittin at, but...
P3060201_zps40fa0ed4.jpg

P3060202_zps3ad58dca.jpg

---
initially I wondered if my fan was the problem, but I run hot(-ish) when driving on the highway, usually cruising at 60-70 mph non-stop for up to 45 miles at a time. The fan turns off at about 47 mph without the a/c ON? Hence, my engine temp problem can't be about the fan not working properly, right?
this is from this morning when it was 34 degrees out..sucks
0306065237_zps83f83d7f.jpg

Members online

Back