strong sulfur smell

stumpie

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
After a little burst of WOT, I get the smell of eggs when the car comes to rest. It was a little worse today then usual. Does this mean Cats need replacing?.

If not, what else could be going on to cause the smell? I usually run 87 (a sin, I know) but this last tank I filled up with 93. Could that be the cause for the stinkier fart?

TIA

Yea i've been reading up. I replaced all coils with BWDs and all plugs with Motorcraft about 18 months ago. Time again?

Are you throwing any codes? From what I've read, oem coils are the best way to go.

no codes. I've heard Visteon's on eBay are an acceptable re-branded OEM coil?

All gasoline contain a small trace of sulfur. When the exhaust stinks of rotten eggs, it is because the catalytic converter is being flooded with fuel (from failing COPs) and the amount of sulfur passing through has increased dramatically. Your catalytic converter is being overworked or cooked and/or are already plugged.

It is possible to clean CATS rather then Re&Re, however if I was a betting man, I would put chips on new CATS as apposed to attempting any cleaning solutions.

Vid from a rather odd individual, suggesting cleaning CATS with a half a gallon of lacquer thinner to a full tank of gas.
(not sure to take this seriously or not)

Fixing Bad Catalytic Converters With Inefficiency Code P0420 - YouTube

Bad Catalytic Converter Explained - YouTube

Being that I have no inefficiency codes, and I only get the smell at WOT, I'm going to hope my Cats are ok for now and drive her easy, replace my COPs a.s.a.p., check the plugs for wear, and check the gap.

Being that I have no inefficiency codes, and I only get the smell at WOT, I'm going to hope my Cats are ok for now and drive her easy, replace my COPs a.s.a.p., check the plugs for wear, and check the gap.

Don't cheap out. Bad coils can do damage to the plugs that you can't see, and it doesn't take long. Damaged plugs will kill the new coils.

I think what you are saying is replace plugs and coils.

This car makes me want to say the f word.

If only I didn't care so much about it being in tip-top shape.

if you have bwd coils they likely have a lifetime warranty.
completely possible that they are fried, but in 18months... i doubt that they are unless you have other issues. how many miles on these relatively new coils?

v6 or v8? you need to run 91+ always. i think you should keep putting 91+ in it before you curse your coils/plugs. clear you KAM, which is probably 'used' to running 87 at this point to get rid of the sh_itty specs from running the 87 and your issue may disappear after a drive cycle. i would recommend running a bottle of lucas or seafoam or chevron techron through the gas tank too. clean the MAF too if you havent done it recently.

Theres probably 12k on these coils/plugs. Im going to have a hard time asking advanved auto to swap all 8 coils under warranty.

What is the KAM and how do I clear it?

V6 or V8?
they have a lifetime warranty from advance auto, whats the problem there?

clearing the KAM involves disconnecting the battery, following the procedure to reconnect the battery in the owners manual, then running a 'drive cycle' to re-set sensors and shift specs. you may have to do it more than once because the shifts may not feel how you want them to feel. to find the drive cycle description you can probably search. someone posted it back in august or september of 2012.

i think your whole problem is that youre running 87 octane. simply dont do it. you dont save money because you get less mpg than dollars saved on purchase and you get problems that are difficult to troubleshoot bc youre not running 'in spec' from jump street...

they have a lifetime warranty from advance auto, whats the problem there?

they wont just replace all of the coils just because you have a bad one or two, and advanced probably doesn't have the ability to properly test the coils out to find the bad one/ones. therein rest the problem

I can get 6 BWD coils for 200 and have the other 2 replaced under warranty. Thats my plan as of now.

The price for Motorcrafts is more than double and doesn't come with an equivalent warranty.

If you would've went motorcraft the first time you probably wouldn't be doing them again. That warranty stuff is usually just bogus IMO.

I have the same smell at WOT ...replaced the plugs and the coils with Visteon's...but I think the damage has already been done to the cats....car runs great but fuel efficiency is down a bit and the car sucks gas until it warms up and goes into closed loop...I think that's why you smell it at WOT because the car goes back into open loop again

sad...since the car only has 34k miles

didn't realize...bought mine well over a year ago....luckily I bought 2 sets

Yeah but they don't exist anymore.

oh they still exist ... just no longer readily available from suppliers.

I got lucky and scored a back up set. (new)

but in reality they are nothing special.

they wont just replace all of the coils just because you have a bad one or two, and advanced probably doesn't have the ability to properly test the coils out to find the bad one/ones. therein rest the problem

yeah if he has a bad one or two and the rest are good, get the two bad ones replaced via warranty and be on your way.

at less than 20k miles, if he has a bad coil or two its because it either got wet or is sitting in oil. pretty sure the 03's had the bad gaskets and he probably doesnt have the new gaskets to prevent oil in the wells.

Members online

No members online now.
Back