Lastnight Sacraceway..

quickblue302

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
14.699 @ 96.9mph 2.33 60ft

if I can hook I think I'll run a 14.3 or so?

Slicks or drag radials? Size for stock rim?

14.699 @ 96.9mph 2.33 60ft

if I can hook I think I'll run a 14.3 or so?

Slicks or drag radials? Size for stock rim?

255-50-16 Mickey Thompson ET streets is what I've ran on my 98. You'll hook every time. That should net you a better 1/4 mile time if you lost traction AT ALL on your current tire setup. I'm assuming you were not dead hooking, and that's what you want. I can't predict the future but 4/10ths is a lot of time to knock off if your setup hasn't changed even with sticky Mickies. I would guesstimate a couple tenths in the 2.1 range for short time.

255-50-16 Mickey Thompson ET streets is what I've ran on my 98. You'll hook every time. That should net you a better 1/4 mile time if you lost traction AT ALL on your current tire setup. I'm assuming you were not dead hooking, and that's what you want. I can't predict the future but 4/10ths is a lot of time to knock off if your setup hasn't changed even with sticky Mickies. I would guesstimate a couple tenths in the 2.1 range for short time.

" dead hooking " ??? I want to hook up. Currenlty, I'm running 225/60/16's michelin A.s. Plus tires. I don't want to burnout becouse thier expensive tires. I stage, O.D. Off, T.C. Off and punch it on the the third amber..

" dead hooking " ??? I want to hook up. Currenlty, I'm running 225/60/16's michelin A.s. Plus tires. I don't want to burnout becouse thier expensive tires. I stage, O.D. Off, T.C. Off and punch it on the the third amber..

Dead hooking means hooking every time. That is our lingo. Od off is good. Tc off is good. Your tires aren't up to snuff. Should you cook the drag radials? Not necessarily but you need to use the water box to rid them of debris and warm them up. When you are burning them in the box they will start to feel sticky after you are spinning them for a bit. When mine are ready to go I let off the throttle in the box and it feels like someone hit the rear end of my car with a huge sledge hammer. You will know when they are ready to go. Now if you want to attempt it on street tires again, my best suggestion is to drive around the water box and just give them a quick spin ahead of the box before the tree. The water box is actually counterproductive on street tires. Hard rubber vs. playdoh. Apples vs oranges

One more interesting side note though. I have heard of guys on street tires at the track launching pretty well with cargo in the trunk. You might be surprised, but a couple sandbags might make all the difference. If you're on drag radials though that won't be necessary.

I had 275-40-17 federal SS595 street tire on rear and 245-4517 up front and I hooked every time on my other 97 LSC, with rolling through the water box and warm them up a lil. They would be as sticky as my buddies MTs. They were super soft tires I think like a 220 tread or something like that. And inexpensive too. I got all 4 installed for $350 best 60' was a 1.98

FYI street tired cars should not go thru water box. Also don't spin tires in water box.

FYI street tired cars should not go thru water box. Also don't spin tires in water box.

I never spun them inside the water box just rolled through it. Also FYI at my 1/8 mile track there is no way around the water box. Not enough room either one tire goes through it or you'll be scrapping against the wall. And also those tires lasted me 30k miles without a problem.

I never spun them inside the water box just rolled through it. Also FYI at my 1/8 mile track there is no way around the water box. Not enough room either one tire goes through it or you'll be scrapping against the wall. And also those tires lasted me 30k miles without a problem.

I was not directing my post at you. It was a FYI for all.

At BIR in MN

They will not even let you go thru the water box unless you have slicks. Plus they put out a cone to keep out of the groove again unless you have slicks.

This was my stock 98's first day at the track but in good air. Its best run that day was 14.59. It was on stock street Michelins also stock size. But sometimes it will pull with both back wheels. When it does I would get around a 2.1 60 ft. time. One time it only pulled with one wheel and I had to get out of the throttle three times and had like a 3. something 60 ft. If you do not have lower than stock gears in yours then I would get a smaller in dia. tire than stock but much wider. Like 235- 50- 16. Again only if you do not have lower gears. My Stock Black 1998 Mark VIIIs first run at the drag strip. - YouTube

I can pull of a 14.4 in this car on a nice cool night. 14.3 if he had any type of exhaust work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back