Need advice on $$$

Chadly

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When I get back from this next deployment to Afghanistan I will have about $10K to spend on the mark. I thought about selling and getting something older (67 GTO) but I wanted to see what the options were for the mark. I just spent 1800 on the tranny so I would like to keep that, but the motor can go if need be. I was thinking about 2 options:

1. Rebuild the engine with a stroker kit and supercharger

2. Engine swap or crate engine with supercharger

I have no idea what would be the best option with my budget, open to any suggestions/opinions.

Thanks yall

Coyote and ECU and any braces you dont already have..... and a Cobra nose.

Screw that squishy motor. Either go big and get that gt500 crate or a cobra crate.

Or just open yours, stroke and forge it.

GT500 crate is like $20K, double my budget isnt gonna happen. It would be nice though.

Coyote motors are around 412hp and minimum $6K. Not as much bang for the buck as I would like.

Rebuild + stroked + boost is looking pretty good.

I know !!!!!!

Put a diesel in it. I don't know what engines are available in the states but being in Europe for that past month I have diesel on the brain.

You can get a Coyote for $3000 with under 20,000 miles on them all over the place.
Now you can rebuild, bore over, stroke and cam your 4.6 to 420ish N/A but thats about it. The 5.0 is making 412 STOCK. Tune, exhaust and intake and you are over 450. Plus they are really under rated cause most do 380ish to the wheels.

Maybe I could just drive it to Michigan and give Jeremey 10 grand and tell him to make it run 12's. LOL

Give it to me and 10k and I will get you in the 12's and give you change. Maybe do 11's. :)

Texas is nice this time of year.

I've lost a lot of love for superchargers here recently. Maybe cause I drive something with a turbo.

With that said if your going to drop 10gs on the mark, build the motor to the hilt and put a turbo on it. With a tuned that does street and strip tune.

I've lost a lot of love for superchargers here recently. Maybe cause I drive something with a turbo.

With that said if your going to drop 10gs on the mark, build the motor to the hilt and put a turbo on it. With a tuned that does street and strip tune.
Turbo on a Mark is not an easy task. Thats why there are only two I know of. Both seemed to have fallen off the planet as well.

Positive displacement blower is the best thing for the street. No turbo lag, instant power.

Been in TX this time of year and it is nice, but I wont be back until about this time next year.

Ive looked into turbo, even the rear mounted turbo, just seems like too much work.

Really leaning towards stroked + supercharged with a rebuild. its got over 170K miles right now and wouldnt boost it without the rebuild. Seems like my best option unless I sell it and get the GTO. I think I will plan on the rebuild+stroked+boosted unless someone can change my mind.

Personally i wouldn't spend the money on a stroker. Just buy a low milage complete 03 Cobra engine and swap it in. After that your options are pretty much unlimited its all about how fast you wanna spend.

-Alan

Just a small FYI but my old 98 LSC made 371 RWHP with exhaust, tune, 2.1L KB blower on a 250k mile engine. Was dialed back a few hp but here it is a couple years latter and shes still going strong.

If it were my money to do it all over again I would do the $1400 forged internals kit that would bump it to a 4.8 or 4.9, Cobra plenum, install a Pro Charger with FMIC and run it at 16psi and make a solid 600hp all for just under 10k.

Personally i wouldn't spend the money on a stroker. Just buy a low milage complete 03 Cobra engine and swap it in. After that your options are pretty much unlimited its all about how fast you wanna spend.

-Alan
Only problem I have with that is weight. The car already is a tad nose heavy and an iron block with a Heaton would add a couple hundred more pounds to the nose. Besides, the Teksid is the superior block for strength.

I will conside the weight point and that is the exact reason I did not swap in a complete Cobra engine, the strength part is debateable, but for the cost of internals and machine work etc it is much cheaper to just suck up the 80lbs and go with the complete setup, just for an example I have a grand into a rotating assembly plus at least 1200 worth of machine work to get done, then if i had to pay someone else to put it all together thats even more cash. 10k sounds like alot but it gets eaten up very fast when you start into something like this.

-Alan

Even with turbo lag and the fact it would be a pain to mount I still say if your gonna blow money really blow that thing.

Bill I know you have fantisized more about that idea and know these cars better than I do but I have seen a camaro with a turbo like down below the engine which I'm sure you know exists.

With a battery relocate why couldn't you? I know I've seen plenty of cobras turbod and don't we have more engine bay than them. Mount the turbo on top with a cowl hood and relocate bat.

Marks actually have way less engine bay than a Mustang, and every turbo Cobra I have seen has needed an aftermarket K member. A rear mount could be done but that opens a whole other can of worms.

-Alan

I will conside the weight point and that is the exact reason I did not swap in a complete Cobra engine, the strength part is debateable, but for the cost of internals and machine work etc it is much cheaper to just suck up the 80lbs and go with the complete setup, just for an example I have a grand into a rotating assembly plus at least 1200 worth of machine work to get done, then if i had to pay someone else to put it all together thats even more cash. 10k sounds like alot but it gets eaten up very fast when you start into something like this.

-Alan

X100..
Ask me how I know. :eek:

Chadly, rebuild your 4.6 with forged internals and cobra crank and run a Vortech with about 12# of boost and a cheap meth kit. Ask BurbankLSC what that setup will get you. I'll give you a hint. His trap speed was 128mph. That is my aspirations for my 97. LS motors are cheap to make power huh? :)

Btw, if you were to talk to him, I'm fairly certain he got it done for under $10k but I may be wrong. He comes off to me as a "Rightonthemark" type of guy going fast for terribly cheap. But to be noted, him and his brother have mad skills. My suggestion is to make a friend. That could make a world of difference in cost. ;)

I vote option #1 HANDS DOWN. Remember, the Teksid is a 1500hp block. Keep it.

I must be the only one thinking that if you have 10 grand, buy something else!!!! Just my opinion tho!

Maybe I could just drive it to Michigan and give Jeremey 10 grand and tell him to make it run 12's. LOL

You do realize that bolt-ons and a cheap nitrous kit can accomplish such things? Or if you are Frank, you really don't even need the gas. ;) 12s is child's play with a $10k budget man and if Frank sees this thread he is going to be very talkative. LOL

I must be the only one thinking that if you have 10 grand, buy something else!!!! Just my opinion tho!

If you invest $10k into a Mark8 you're going to have a lot more car than what you are able to get for $10k. Just my opinion though. But no. It's really fact. ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back