Stall converter with Vortech

KStromberg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm browsing around for an optimal stall converter for my blown 97. For those of you who don't know it is currently on a safe tune making 390rwhp. It has log manifolds with magnaflow resonator and mufflers. I intend on completing the exhaust with kooks (or custom LTs) and getting it tuned more agresdively once I have monitoring systems inside the car in place. The biggest question is do I need a triple disc converter or can I get away with a robust upgraded single disc converter like this one:

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=6

Thanks for the input! :)

why so much money on exhaust when you can just turn up the boost and break the internals anyway?

lol. sorry. not stall converter related.

but if you are already making 390 whp. i have read several times that 400 whp is about the safe limit of the stock mark viii internals. why put in kooks and supporting exhaust mods if you are already near the horsepower limit?

but if you are already making 390 whp. i have read several times that 400 whp is about the safe limit of the stock mark viii internals. why put in kooks and supporting exhaust mods if you are already near the horsepower limit?

Ok. Gotcha. LOL. If I get a good tune with gauges inside the car for monitoring the fuel and meth injection full time, I don't see the issue. If the tune needs to remain safe with lighter timing values and more fuel, that's what I will have done. I agree with you. At this point though, a stall is going to make a huge difference on this car which is my first plan of attack. I can run mid12s in the meantime with a stall which sounds really fun. Plus, without a stall it is quite boring from a dig. Lol. Like surprisingly so. My silver car is more fun in that department currently. From a 50mph roll though, the silver car would stand no chance. The blown 97 has a 114mph trap speed as it sits now. Don't ask about the 1/4 mile time. There's a reason I haven't put it in my signature. Lol

yea but there's a difference between adding more boost and opening up the exhaust, more boost is a greater strain on the rotating assembly and internals like you said, but a free flowing exhaust just makes it breathe better and allows the engine to make use of its power that it's already capable of making..better flowing exhaust/headers won't "hurt" the engine itself.

I'm browsing around for an optimal stall converter for my blown 97. For those of you who don't know it is currently on a safe tune making 390rwhp. It has log manifolds with magnaflow resonator and mufflers. I intend on completing the exhaust with kooks (or custom LTs) and getting it tuned more agresdively once I have monitoring systems inside the car in place. The biggest question is do I need a triple disc converter or can I get away with a robust upgraded single disc converter like this one:

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=6

Thanks for the input! :)

I went with the triple disc from circle d. Don't know if you really "need" it, I just hate doing things twice if I can help it.

A good single disc will handle WOT lockup with your setup, but a triple disc will be happier (more durable) doing so. The downsides to a triple disc are slightly increased weight, and the lockup can be pretty harsh. Before ordering a converter, I'd ask whomever you choose to build the converter what his/her thoughts are.

I thought I read that triple disc ones can be noisy from the discs rattling around in there. Heard it more then once. (oh course not when LU)

I thought I read that triple disc ones can be noisy from the discs rattling around in there. Heard it more then once. (oh course not when LU)

I've never heard any such noises from mine.

The triple disc will handle more torque but usually less rpms when compared to a single disc of similar quality.

Considering the trans is stock, you're probably not really interested in a high rpm single disc, so a triple disc would fit your application better.

Considering the trans is stock, you're probably not really interested in a high rpm single disc, so a triple disc would fit your application better.

Alan at Dirty Dog performance said the opposite. If a durable single disc can handle WOT lockup without issue at 400rwhp, why would I get a triple that can far more than handle my needs but puts a huge strain on my stock tranny when it goes into lockup. He told me that a triple disc could make for a quick end to my transmission. A damper style clutch single disc will absorb a lot of that force and won't be as harsh on the tranny and may fit my application better. I'm not trying to argue here. Just some friendly banter and passing off some information that I have been fed by Alan. Perhaps he is wrong, or perhaps I need not worry about a triple at this point if I am on a stock tranny with only 400rwhp.

So racecougar, I agree. The triple is more durable but my dispute is that the stock tranny is not so durable when it has a triple disc converter in the equation. I think it may have had something to do with breaking the stub shaft if I recall correctly but maybe I'm wrong. Either way he said chit can break! Lol

Stock trans and stock internals.. go single disc, alan is usually right. It will hold until something else breaks.
My motor and trans build is far from stock, thus the triple disc.

In reference to the Edge unit above that I might be interested in, I have a buddy with a built Crown Vic. The car has the street converter by Edge and he makes 290rwhp. He has sprayed a 125 shot(400rwhp)on that car hundreds of times since 2008 and the converter is still holding up. He says Andre over at Edge is a great guy and the customer service is top notch. He used to work at Hitech Motorsports and they used the Edge converters all the time and he never heard of any failures. I am leaning that way at this point. Otherwise Lonnie has an $800 Pro Series 9.5" single that looks up to the task. If it is a Circle D like I think it is, I have all good things to say since I have a 10" single Circle D in my 98 which has been a superior converter.

Unless you are planning to up the power significantly and Alan/Andre are both telling you a single disc will be fine; that's what I would do.
Granted both would like to sell you a converter, my guess would be something else would break before the new converter.

Andre is a great guy to deal with, i had one of the street edge converters for a season and decided i wanted the pro...instead of me sending it back for upgrade he told me to sell it and he would give the buyer a warranty like it was brand new.....cant beat that.

I have a single disc in my GTO by PTC in Alabama. Works great. I don't lock it at WOT though.

I use these guys. You may want to see what they have to say, lots of racers use them.

http://www.midwestconverter.com/index.php

They built my mustang convertor and it picked up 4 10ths and he used to do our powerglide convertor in the super comp dragster. Local for us too which I like.

Well, I think I am going with Lonnie at BOC again. I am going on 3 years with his 10" converter and this thing has been killer. He has a 9.5" that is going to fit my application well. I'm going to stick with who I have had experience with. I trust his product and they are very well built.

Members online

No members online now.
Back