Pdx/scca

2004LincolnLSV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever take their LS to the track for a PDX?

I am thinking about trying out a PDX in May at the Autobahn CC in Joliet.

I've never been to a PDX, and should probably go, but I've been to a few Solo2 events. It's the same general track layout. The primary difference is that PDX is a schooled event, and Solo2 is a time-trial and competition/points event.

It's a lot of fun. They will teach you how to walk the course, how to read the cones, what a pointer cone is, what following a line is, how to read the course, etc. You won't have a time trial as much as the instructor will try to teach you the proper techniques for getting around the track, how to read your car for tuning later on, how to do course work, etc. PDX is designed for people who have never had any exposure to organized racing and need all that info so they can race against the clock.

Things you will want that I learned the hard way:
1) An approved brain bucket, unless you want to use the communal ones
2) AUTOMOTIVE masking take 1" wide for making numbers on the doors
3) A trustworthy tire pressure gauge and a portable air compressor
4) Multi-color sidewalk chalk for marking your tires
5) Sun Screen and/or hat if you are so inclined
6) A small cooler with snacks and non-alchy drinks (alcohol is a no-go)
7) Anything loose removed from the car or easily removable at the track

Make sure your car is mechanically sound. No visible leaks, loose components (like batteries), weak/bloated hoses, bald/cracked/bulging tires, etc. Make sure the masking tape is automotive grade tape! Regular masking tape can leave glue residue on your car. Depending on the track and who is doing tech, they can be VERY picky about loose items in the car. If you have big subs that aren't securely held in place they will want you to pull them out. Usually you will want to clean the car out to only have what you really need or that can be easily removed. This also lightens the weight of the car which helps. I have a big comfy beach chair that I will bring in case it's a big turn-out so I can sit and watch and wait for my heat to get called.

Now some caveats:

1) This can be very hard on your car. You might break things.
2) Your car insurance definitely does not cover anything at these events.
3) Pay attention and don't be a hero. You can easily get hurt or hurt someone else.
4) You do not just show up, race, and leave. You will also be doing Course Work, and learning about SCCA too.
5) Don't act stupid in the pits, staging lanes, or outside the grounds. It pisses everyone off and the owner of the location could deny the group if they try to rent the place again.
6) You will probably get 5 to 10 runs in 2 heats. If the group is small then half will be on track and half will be doing course work. Just depends on the size of the track, number of people, etc.
7) Listen at least twice as much as you talk. Half of the guys you will meet there have been racing for years and most like talking shop.
8) They won't be teaching you how to do stunt-driving. They will be showing you how to drive fast. Although I usually do find at least one spot in the course that screams power-slide :D

Overall it's a lot of fun. It's about the only time you really get to drive your car all out safely and in a meaningful way. You will also learn a lot more about driving your car then you thought. When you leave you will have a better understanding of just exactly what your car can and can't do with you behind the wheel and how it feels at those limits.

Plus, I call it "Road Rage Therapy".

The LS does very good but lacks in a few things. Most notably is lack of a posi rear. On any sort of an extended or french turn where you get a good amount of weight transfer you will usually light up the inside tire. On a sharp turn or a hairpin it's pretty good since you are braking like mad coming into the turn and getting back on the power coming out into a usually straight shot of track. You'll want to turn off traction control and learn to feather the gas.

Second is the lack of power. Depending upon the track, you will either bog the engine down in second or hit the limiter. If you are lucky it's the first one. Some boost and 8.8" 3.73 or 4.10 gears out back would solve this nicely. I find the engine doesn't like to be below 2500 but this can be hard to maintain. Just avoid the urge to shift, it usually won't work out well.

Third is suspension tuning. Sport shocks with Eibachs seem to be the ticket for noticeable improvement here. I'm still running the stock sport springs but have things "in the works" so I will find out eventually. Mostly what I notice is a lot of lateral weight transfer. Swaybars and a lowered car should help.

Fourth is the soft brakes. Stainless lines, better frictions, and maybe the 320mm upgrade are good investments here. I know my stock breaks at the end of a medium-speed 1-minute track would start to get fade about 3/4 of the way through. Luckily this is where the slalom was and they would cool off while I zig-zagged. :)

If you get serious you will probably want to buy a set of cheap rims and put street-legal racing tires on them. This is the one thing that will make the biggest difference other then the driver. Seat time is the only thing that will improve that.

Quik was into some of that sort of stuff, and quite seriously. As I remember, he was dissatisfied with the class breaks, and I believe he went to using his Lotus.

KS

Thanks Kumba!!! I really wanna try it but do not want to destroy my LS in the process lol. Seems too fun to pass up.

As far as tire wear is this something that will destroy my tires after a day of the PDX? I recently got new tires and dont want to use them up in one day lol.

Quik was into some of that sort of stuff, and quite seriously. As I remember, he was dissatisfied with the class breaks, and I believe he went to using his Lotus.

KS

Yeah, the LS is in F-Stock by default. This is basically V8 RWD Muscle Cars. So within the stock class you will be dealing with Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc. Due to the small n/a V8 and lack of a posi rear you will almost certainly not be able to keep up assuming two identical drivers. They are lighter and have more power and will just out power you down the straights. The posi also lets them power through the corners harder and earlier then you can. I would guesstimate that just adding a decent posi to the LS would pick you up a second or two which is quite a lot.

As far as tire wear is this something that will destroy my tires after a day of the PDX? I recently got new tires and dont want to use them up in one day lol.

If you are doing it right then you won't have that much more wear on your tires. You are trying to learn how to drive fast, not do power-slides and bootlegger turns. If you aren't comfortable with what you are doing then just slow it down. There is no mandate that you have to pretend you are qualifying in an Indy car. If it's your first time they will probably want you to start slow and progressively get faster and more aggressive.

As far as wear and tear the biggest thing will be brakes and tires. You will be pushing these two individual components harder then you ever have before. If you just did tires and brakes then you will want to wait until they are bedded in. For ceramic brakes this could be upwards of 500-miles. For tires I would say 100-miles or so. The engine might run a little warmer after a run because you are basically flooring it in 5-10 second bursts and then letting off except for the slalom and big turns. The transmission will be in second for the whole track except for the first 3-4 seconds coming off the line where you shift out of first. If your suspension and bushings are healthy they will be fine.

Just remember, you can always go slower if you aren't comfortable with how you or your car are doing. You might end up being the better driver for it. They do say that slow is fast, although it's not quite as much fun as the stupid stuff. LOL :)

Anyone ever take their LS to the track for a PDX?

I am thinking about trying out a PDX in May at the Autobahn CC in Joliet.

Message me when you go. I race there about 2 or 3 times a year. Just ran a 1:48 on the south track with our Lemons car during the second day of the event on Sunday. Not sure if this event is just going to be on the track they have coned/spray painted in the big parking lot though.

I can see Mustangs being lighter than an LS but I know for sure those Chargers are way heavier, by the book atleast. When I get back home, I am gonna put my car on the Cat Scale at the TA just to see what the real weight is. I will make sure to split front to rear too and post the pic of the scale ticket on here.

I ended up being classed out of E-Class of street prepared (ESP) and was moved to Street Modified - which went through a huge shift and was smashed together and reclassed. My supercharger broike the SP rules - even though I raced against factory supercharged cars...

SM was next level stuff - cars did not have to be street legal - so I was horribly overweight and underpowered....

wow ... a legend appear before me!
This has never happened to me before.

Welcome back Mr. Quik_Ls

:gr_hail:

I ended up being classed out of E-Class of street prepared (ESP) and was moved to Street Modified - which went through a huge shift and was smashed together and reclassed. My supercharger broike the SP rules - even though I raced against factory supercharged cars...

SM was next level stuff - cars did not have to be street legal - so I was horribly overweight and underpowered....

Sorry to hear that man. That's one of the reasons I prefer to build the engine. That is not fair. They should allow certain mods for older cars. It makes it really tough when you may have to compete against 1 or 2 extra gear ratios. They should allow for adjustments due to advancement in technology.

That being said, I watched in disbelief at the 1999 Grand Rapids GP how they made the Vipers run smaller rear tires than stock which made them ineffective.

That's why I don't run to compete. Just run for the fun and against my own time. You have to buy the right car to compete in the right classes down here.

That's why I don't run to compete. Just run for the fun and against my own time. You have to buy the right car to compete in the right classes down here.

Yeah I hear ya and it was awesome how that mustang beat up those Aston Martins in the Continental race.

Members online

No members online now.
Back