(Off Topic) Turbochargers

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The auto industry is all the rave about turbocharging V6s, but I feel like I havent heard much about turbo's V8s. Is that strictly because of a MPG thing? Doesn't turbocharging add to MPG in normal driving situations? Why doesn't Ford release a turbo'd 'stang? I dont know, I feel like there is a disconnect. Everything under 8 cylinders is running a turbo now a days but I feel like I haven't noticed any v8 turbos, at least not at the same rate as the smaller engines. Just dont need that much power? Thoughts?

M5 and M6 are twin-turbo V8.

Most new AMGs are TT V8 as well.

The auto industry is all the rave about turbocharging V6s, but I feel like I havent heard much about turbo's V8s. Is that strictly because of a MPG thing? Doesn't turbocharging add to MPG in normal driving situations? Why doesn't Ford release a turbo'd 'stang? I dont know, I feel like there is a disconnect. Everything under 8 cylinders is running a turbo now a days but I feel like I haven't noticed any v8 turbos, at least not at the same rate as the smaller engines. Just dont need that much power? Thoughts?

There was talk of Running turbos on the new Shelby, but there was not room in the engine compartment..

There will be big changes for the 2015 Shelby because the current 5.8 is said to not fit into the new smaller bay as well...

Ford is doing great things with Ecoboost, but they have also been able to achieve 662 underrated horsepower out of a supercharged 5.8, which is ridiculously efficient as well, and over all, there are less problems with a supercharged motor than there are a turbo car... period

You do realize that the 2014 Mustang is supposed to be getting a TT v6, I4 Turbo and an NA V8 right? It's also supposed to have rear independent suspension as well. As far as a turbo'd V8, it is rumored that the next-gen GT500 will have a TT 5.0, there was an article I read somewhere that said the block already has all of the modifications to allow for a factory TT setup because it was designed that way from the get-go.

I'll go dig up some articles when I get some free time and post 'em here.

Turbo packages have more cost. The accessories (waste gate, etc.), plumbing (piping, oil feed/return lines etc.) and turbos themselves are very expensive compared to a naturally aspirated setup. Unless we're talking big dollar, high performance like the BMW M models mentioned, there is really no need for a turbocharged V-8.

Mileage: I'm not an expert of economical gas-powered turbo setups (Europe's turbodiesels get great mileage) but why strap a turbo on when you can deactivate cylinders or do direct fuel injection on an N/A car, like the 2014 Vette's LT1 V-8? That will probably get 30 mpg with its 450-horse engine.

Also, OEMs are notorious for running pig-rich factory air/fuel ratios, boosted or N/A, in transitional fueling and WOT: I used to see high to mid-11 to 1 A/Fs from factory Corvette Z06s. Boosted vehicles can be worse. All to keep the engine together for warranty purposes. A aftermarket tune can save big MPG.

And yes, with forced induction complexity, there are more potentials for problems.

there are a lot of turbo V8, but all of the factory ones are super expensive cars. seen quite a few biturbo amg's, TT audi's, and a couple of turboed M's at the Autoshow this weekend

have also been seeing a lot more of turbos on V8's (like 302 foxs) at the track the past few years.

Surprisingly, Bentley CGTs come equipped (offered as option) with turbocharged V8s now. 4.4 liters at about 500hp.

My 2011 F350 is 400HP/800TQ Turbo diesel v8. I know its not what you are talking about exactily, but it is an economical beast. 7900LB empty Crew Cab 4x4 can burn out at will below 30 MPH (even if going 29MPH already) and returns an average of about 22MPG. It is fast (not as fast as the LS of course)... My dad has a Chevy Cruze eith a tiny 1.3L (I think) turbo motor. He gets great mileage 38ish and it has good power. The base Cruze has a larger NA engine (cost as mentioned before). I personally think turbo charging is great! I think the reason for all the turbo 4, and 6 cyls is to get smaller engines to make more peak power. Turbo engines get better economy than NA engines because turbo charged engines do it with less displacement. If you have a 4 cyl that makes 300HP with a turbo, say it only makes 200 without. Cruising on the highway at 60MPH the turbo is not needed and the engine get close to 4 cyl economy. A 300 HP 6 cyl is always running at full displacement and is this less efficient at crusing speeds. The boosted 4 cyl however uses more fuel at WOT than the 6 cyl NA engine would. On average smaller displacement forced induction motors have higher average fuel economy than NA engines of the same output. This is why manufacturers are messing around with small turbo motors now.

ive said it from the beginning, I want to see an ecoboost mustang (id be totally fine with calling the snake an ecoboost;)) and im not talking about the 3.5 or smaller! a TT 5.0h no, would be a beast.

they needs to do something aggressive with this new pony to step their game up a bit, the Bowtie hit a home run with the stingray!

I think a lot of it has to do with the HP levels the OEM's want to put out. They simply don't need to boost a 390hp N/A V8.

Around here, the word "Turbo" adds many hundreds to your insurance policies.
Now blend that in with a brand new model, red paint and two doors .... :eek:

Yeah I think a TT v8 mustang would be freaking sweet. But alas, no known plans for doing that yet. Hopefully the super snake thing will come to fruition

Around here, the word "Turbo" adds many hundreds to your insurance policies.
Now blend that in with a brand new model, red paint and two doors .... :eek:

I think the insurance on my Sky Redline is less than the LS. Probably has to do with the number of miles driven per year. :cool:

When i was shopping around for my XF, i was looking at Supercharger equipped cars too.

The insurance rate was the same on both the Supercharged version and NA one.

ive said it from the beginning, I want to see an ecoboost mustang (id be totally fine with calling the snake an ecoboost;)) and im not talking about the 3.5 or smaller! a TT 5.0h no, would be a beast.

they needs to do something aggressive with this new pony to step their game up a bit, the Bowtie hit a home run with the stingray!

The Vette and Mustang are not in the same class :slam

And the Shelby does have 212 more horsepower than the new Vette... for around the same price..

The Vette and Mustang are not in the same class :slam
no sh!t Sherlock, but the corvette (some versions at least) is borderline supercar status and now without ford making the GT anymore, they dont have anything to compete with the vettes, that is where ford need to step there game up. hell, with finally using a proper IRS system, then new pony could be on a level playing field (bet on it not happening) if they design it right.

And the Shelby does have 212 more horsepower than the new Vette... for around the same price..

and unless its in a straight line, the vette is going to beat its pants off.

no sh!t Sherlock, but the corvette (some versions at least) is borderline supercar status and now without ford making the GT anymore, they dont have anything to compete with the vettes, that is where ford need to step there game up. hell, with finally using a proper IRS system, then new pony could be on a level playing field (bet on it not happening) if they design it right.

Yeah we will see what happens. Ford has shown they really aren't very interested in track with the Mustang till just recently with the Boss. The Boss is pretty impressive though without have a IRS so I dont know, I think they could do something really great. We shall see

I read somewhere that an IRS for the mustang would add 5K to the price of every car, so they werent going to do it.

and unless its in a straight line, the vette is going to beat its pants off.

The real issue is that most mustang owners DON'T want IRS......

Most don't care how bulletproof you make it, straight axles are preferred by most.. cause there are alot more guys that run their mustang down the 1/4 than around the roadcourse..

I will probably pick up a HCI C6 Z06 in the near future, but I'm more of a corner carver than drag racer, hence the Z06 over a Shelby.

Ford is doing phenomenal compared to the other American Auto Manufacturers, and they simply don't care about the Ford GT/ZR1 market.. The big profits aren't made there.

Yeah we will see what happens. Ford has shown they really aren't very interested in track with the Mustang till just recently with the Boss. The Boss is pretty impressive though without have a IRS so I dont know, I think they could do something really great. We shall see

IRS or not, you can't take a car with a base price of $25k and make it handle like a car with a base price of $60k.. The corvette chassis is and always will be lightyears ahead of ANY mustang built.

The 2013 Shelby is the most amazing mustang ever built, and also america's fastest selling car (avg of only 13 days sitting on showrooms across the country) They are obviously doing something right.

I'll let you know when my buddy's arrives :) He ordered it in June and still hasn't gotten it

Ford is doing phenomenal compared to the other American Auto Manufacturers, and they simply don't care about the Ford GT/ZR1 market.. The big profits aren't made there.

It is true that few or no profits are made in that segment directly. It is the indirrect feeling of excitement cars like that bring to the brand as a whole. The Chevy Corvette is an icon that many Chevy buyers recognize even though they bought lesser Chevys. There was a time when the Ford GT did the same thing, but not it is gone. Replaced by hopped up Mustangs that don't do the same justice as the supercar that on the track trumped exotic imports at triple the price.

I think the insurance on my Sky Redline is less than the LS. Probably has to do with the number of miles driven per year. :cool:

When i was shopping around for my XF, i was looking at Supercharger equipped cars too.

The insurance rate was the same on both the Supercharged version and NA one.

Could very well be, like I said, "around here" referring to my neck of the woods,
you add Turbo to the title and they take advantage and raise it up just because of that word.

Color of paint and amount of doors also play a huge factor.

Then there is the "Pleasure" or "Commuting" and miles per year, plus age and anything else they can try and find to stick it to you.

Under the age of 21, good luck!

Also if it's a high theft car, it goes up or some insurance companies will either tell you straight out, they don't want to undersign it or give you a stupid price so you won't.

and I always list my rides as "pleasure" because it's a "pleasure" to commute to work and back in.

Members online

No members online now.
Back