newbie with air ride question

TerdFurgeson321

New LVC Member
Reaction score
a few months ago i bought a 2000 town car cartier with 123,000 miles on it. people have told me that when my car is sitting in the parking lot, usual after 20 mins or so after i shut it off they hear the air pump for the suspension run for about 10-15 seconds then turn off. is this something i need to be concerned with or is this normal? or does this mean i have a slow leak in the lines somewhere? i hear it run EVERY TIME i start the car too.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi TerdFurgeson321,

Worry not, part of the deal. The RAS system is active 60 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to OFF. I'm betting the estimation of 20 minutes is way low. If the height sensor tells the RAS module that the trim height is low, the compressor is activated until the sensor is happy. I have seen/heard it happen many times on my 92 at the 60 minute mark.

RAS-OFF_zpsb57ae393.gif

Line leakage is not a problem, because the air springs are isolated from the lines by the spring solenoids. A leaking spring(s) or solenoid(s) could present a problem. If they are the OE springs, you are probably getting close to replacements, an easy job, even for an amateur in the driveway.

And yes it probably will run every time you start the car, especially if you have a slow leak from the springs. One way to find out. TURN OFF THE REAR SUSPENSION SWITCH. Jack up the car at the frame, letting the springs hang. Inspect under the spring folds for cracks. A soapy water solution sprayed on that area will reveal any leaks.

Postponing replacement will lead to more expense if you tax the compressor duty cycle and it needs replaced.

Good luck.

Regards,

Last edited:
Unless the car slams over night, it's probably fine. The air suspension has control over the car for like an hour after you shut it off.

Thanks guys but now I have a follow up. The other day I was on the highway and a guy pulled out in front of me and I had to go hard on the brakes. I mean really hard. Now the air pump comes on every few minutes and only a few seconds as I go down the road. Could that hard braking made the cracks I more than likely have in my air bags worse?

Hi TF321,

Anything is possible and again it may be just coincidental.

It's very unlikely that your compressor should run while you are going down the road, especially at that frequency, if things are ship-shape.

I would be checking out the integrity of the springs, A.S.A.P. I would bet the farm they are due for replacement.

You allow that running of the compressor and it won't be long until you need one of those as well. In other words, if they are leaky, get them replaced.

GL

Regards,

Hello, if you do have issues and are considering replacing them, I'd recommend a coil spring conversion. I had one on my '97 and my '99 and I have 24s on the '99 with spacers in the rear, and the ride is excellent.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, doesn't make you wrong or right. When my air ride started to go out, it stiffened up. My coil springs with the placement of my spacers, and larger shock absorbers my ride actually feels better thatn the air ride to me.

got stiffer? seems unlikely.. that was probably shock related and was fixed with your new shocks.

got stiffer? seems unlikely.. that was probably shock related and was fixed with your new shocks.

That was my first thought. But I replaced them first, and there was no noticable difference. I believe it was a bad bag, one was leaking and the compressor was filling both of them in an effort to make up for the side dipping; I think it was more related to that.

Fro, how did you get your air suspension light off on the 99 after going to springs? I just bought one that was already converted but the message center still displays "air suspension"

Fro, how did you get your air suspension light off on the 99 after going to springs? I just bought one that was already converted but the message center still displays "air suspension"

I left it on, my kit came with instructions on what wires to cut, to cut it off. I will try to download the file again and post it on here.

Hi TheRebel,

The reason FroZone didn't do it is:

It can't be done. 99 models use a SCP Communication Network carrying multiplex data, one bit is for the air suspension light.

97 was the last year the Check Air Suspension light was illimunated by taking it to ground in the RAS/EVO Module.

Regards,

I have no idea, but I would bet a quick phone call to a dealer service department would reveal the answer. Good luck.

Hi TheRebel,

The reason FroZone didn't do it is:

It can't be done. 99 models use a SCP Communication Network carrying multiplex data, one bit is for the air suspension light.

97 was the last year the Check Air Suspension light was illimunated by taking it to ground in the RAS/EVO Module.

Regards,

Rebel, I have been busy. I did get strutmasters on the phone today. And they are going to email the instructions to me, couldn't find the original. When I get it, I will forward it to you in a pm.

Why not just share the information here FroZone? Others may want to extinguish their lamp as well.

Well FroZone, 3 days have passed. Where's the document?

Now 4 days !

Now 6 days and nothing. I'm not sure it is going to happen.

Last night I was looking under the car and noticed all the old air ride stuff was still there except the bags. One of the actuator's wires were unplugged so I reconnected it just for grins. I started the car and the air ride suspension message was gone. I cycled it a few times and the compressor never kicked on and the message didn't come back. Now this was just last night and I don't drive the car much right now so it may only be a fluke but hopefully its fixed. My idea was that maybe adjusting the sensor to the correct height would trick the car into not trying to fill the bags. Of course that may not work when I put some weight in the trunk.

If anyone is interested I can get new Firestone bags(or offbrand) for Town cars, and compressors, or whatever else you really need for them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back