Remote start

Markviiiedrea

Speed Bump
Reaction score
Looking to buy a remote start and was wonder what one to get. To be honest I'm completely clueless to these so I'm the type of guy to walk in to a Best Buy and buy whatever the zit face behind the counter tells me to buy. All I know is I want a two way and I would like to be able to roll my windows down from the remote. What do you guys think?

For the Gen2s, you have to leave a key in the car for the PATS :( which is why I won't be getting one

I wouldn't get one from Best Buy thou, you can find them much cheaper on the webz.

Just my .02

Goto a mobil audio place most of them sell alarms with remote starts. Spend the extra cash make sure you get a 2 way paging system. I had one from crimestoppes. dirt cheap. but it worked perfect. i could be 2 blocks away if the alarm was triggered the fm receiver on the keychain would alarm as well.

OK, just to clear up some things for Gen 2 owners. If you want to get a remote start, you can, and you don't have to leave a spare key for the module to work the remote start. All that is needed is an uncut key that is programmed to the Mark. This is all that is needed to fool the pats system and allow the remote start to work.

The point is Gregg... you're disabling the PATS regardless if the hidden key is cut for the tumbler or not

A few modules claim to work on the fords learning the key so it doesn't need to be in the car; it seldom works.

That's discouraging. I was hoping to get a Compustar alarm in my 97. Doesn't seem worth it if I have to leave an ignition key in the car at all times.:confused:

I would have the PATS to deal with, is there not an other way around leaving a key in the car?

You have a Gen1, so that doesn't really partain to you. I may be incorrect, but I don't think you'd have to leave a chipped key in the car

The deal with Gen2 thou, if you leave that key within signal range of the car, it can be hot-wired..don't matter what alarm you've got... without that key, the car won't start. It can still be towed however

I have a Clifford 57x and its fantastic. Over a mile range and has adptive learning. Great remote that is rechargeable and many add ons available.
For a gen 1 car its an easy install. For a gen 2 you can get the $80 module or you can remove the trim ring around the igniotion switch, move it lower in the dash and take a key (dont even have to be cut, only programed to the car) and tape it to the ring.
Problem is gen 2 cars dont have a steering lock so the car is actually now easier to steal.
The module would prevent that though so the extra cost may be worth it.

But since the OP is a gen 1 the point is moot.

I have a Clifford 57x and its fantastic. Over a mile range and has adptive learning. Great remote that is rechargeable and many add ons available.

Did you install it or pay some one?

The town car has PATS, I'm consider R/S for both. Sounds like the module is worth the peice of mind to me.

Did you install it or pay some one?

The town car has PATS, I'm consider R/S for both. Sounds like the module is worth the peice of mind to me.
Its in a Chevy truck. And it cost me like $150 new.

A properly hooked up bypass is reliable, and a good one won't need a key. It's mostly all in the install, most brand name units (Compustar, DEI, etc) are good...

Check out the12volt.com lots of info and help there, wiring diagrams etc etc :)

You have a Gen1, so that doesn't really partain to you. I may be incorrect, but I don't think you'd have to leave a chipped key in the car

The deal with Gen2 thou, if you leave that key within signal range of the car, it can be hot-wired..don't matter what alarm you've got... without that key, the car won't start. It can still be towed however

You are correct, I have a '95 LSC and the key is not chipped. I've already had a couple of old Ford keys cut for spares and they work fine in the ignition.

locksmith-albuquerque-ford-keys.jpg

If you have either gen, you can hook up a hidden switch through the wires going to the neutral safety switch. Flip it when you get out and you can have the keys to the car and it still won't start.

If you have either gen, you can hook up a hidden switch through the wires going to the neutral safety switch. Flip it when you get out and you can have the keys to the car and it still won't start.

What does that have to do with letting him hook up a remote start? :confused:

The fact that people were saying 2nd gen would be easy to steal with a key left in the car to bypass pats.

I think these are all just thread derailments. I believe the op has a Gen1 and it would be real easy to hook a remote-start up to it.

It would be easy with either gen, just need a proper no-key bypass for the latter... ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back