Makin' it last forever

dunndarryn is a bitter former LS owner that was given a very used LS to him by his mom. don't let him scare you.

sexyLS, Don't let people who can't read scare you.

If it was properly maintained the Gen. 2 (2003-2006) is a good car and there are a ton of Gen. 2 owners on here.

With that said, I am no longer an LS owner, but I know some of these guys are running their LS' with over 200k miles because they did a stellar job of maintaining them at all times.

and P.S. to the know it all up there Luke - My LS was in my household for 6 years. We were the 2nd owner and had it from 60k miles to 180k miles and it was running and driving when I got rid of it. It's biggest problem at the time was an electrical system, I simply didn't feel like dealing with it anymore so I bought a new car. Has nothing to do with the integrity of the vehicle. If he wants it to last forever I told him what he'll need to know.

You know, I've never felt dunndarryn has been a bitter former LS owner, seems like he's been a pretty good cheerleader for the LS but had one with a problem that he wasn't in a position to deal with so was forced to part company. I mean, it's not like he's been plastering all the threads talking about how much better his VW is or anything.

Degas bottle = get the OEM one, not aftermarket.

As I often find myself doing with Joe's posts I just want to emphasize the importance of this, as a lesson from the learned. I cheaped out and bought the $70 dorman version and it cracked within 6 months. Not a drop of coolant was left.

You know, I've never felt dunndarryn has been a bitter former LS owner, seems like he's been a pretty good cheerleader for the LS but had one with a problem that he wasn't in a position to deal with so was forced to part company. I mean, it's not like he's been plastering all the threads talking about how much better his VW is or anything.

Thanks, Telco. I'm glad someone on here understands I'm not bitter. Honest in accordance to my person experiences with the LS might be a better phrase.

People on here seem to think I have some sort of vendetta against the LS, lol. I still think it's a great car. I mean, mine had 180k miles when I got rid of it and all the main components were still going strong. I've had many people ask me about my opinion on getting an LS, and the onlyyyy time I ever defer someone from it, is if the one their looking at is a high mile gen. 1. I tell them go with a low mile gen 2.

As I often find myself doing with Joe's posts I just want to emphasize the importance of this, as a lesson from the learned. I cheaped out and bought the $70 dorman version and it cracked within 6 months. Not a drop of coolant was left.

So I need to be on the lookout for a OEM degas tank, (Ford OE# : 5W4Z8A080AA)

So if these commonly go bad then I need to get a new one and not a used one correct?

If you read my entire post, you would see that, that price includes all the components. You guys should practice what you preach and search, because someone RECENTLY posted a photo of his receipt and guess what the total was? $1000. NO WAY?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO?!?

There's no reason to get an attitude. I read your entire post. What I clarified is that there's absolutely no reason to replace every single little component in the cooling unless you're restoring an LS which would be a silly idea in and of itself. There are a few common failure points in the cooling system. Go check out all of the threads about cooling issues. You'll see degas bottle, upper radiator hose, and inlet pipe/outlet pipe/thermostat housing all over. It's rare that another part is the issue. That's not to say it's impossible, but it's unlikely.

Why spend all that money to replace a bunch of stuff that isn't broken and probably won't ever fail? You can spend 1/4 of that and replace most of the problematic parts.

Thanks, Telco. I'm glad someone on here understands I'm not bitter. Honest in accordance to my person experiences with the LS might be a better phrase.

I could probably be viewed as bitter due to my experience with the LS. Owned it for 10 months. Rear door actuators were bad when I bought it but I didn't realize until after the purchase and a little research. Solenoid pack failed, upper radiator hose failed, coolant outlet pipe failed, seized lug on a stud, brakes squealed after replacement and greasing, message center buttons broke off and had to be repaired, traction control button broke off and had to be repaired, parking brake stopped working for a while until I eventually resorted to unhooking the battery for an hour to clear everything and it worked... that's all that comes to mind right now.

However, even with all that, I can still respect the LS for what it is. It's a very attractive, sporty sedan with plenty of power (the 3.9L at least) and lots of amenities that really can't be beat for the current resale.

I sold it for a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD so my wife has something safer to drive up here in CT. I was ridiculed for that and I'm fine with it. I know it will have problems, but my experience with the LS has soured me a bit. It's just the way it is. I would never consider buying one again and wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone either.

So I need to be on the lookout for a OEM degas tank, (Ford OE# : 5W4Z8A080AA)

So if these commonly go bad then I need to get a new one and not a used one correct?

Always new for cooling system parts. You can get the parts from your dealer but I would only do that if you need them immediately. Otherwise, order from Tasca or FordPartsgiant. I ordered my cooling parts from the latter.

There's no reason to get an attitude. I read your entire post. What I clarified is that there's absolutely no reason to replace every single little component in the cooling unless you're restoring an LS which would be a silly idea in and of itself. There are a few common failure points in the cooling system. Go check out all of the threads about cooling issues. You'll see degas bottle, upper radiator hose, and inlet pipe/outlet pipe/thermostat housing all over. It's rare that another part is the issue. That's not to say it's impossible, but it's unlikely.

Why spend all that money to replace a bunch of stuff that isn't broken and probably won't ever fail? You can spend 1/4 of that and replace most of the problematic parts.

I could probably be viewed as bitter due to my experience with the LS. Owned it for 10 months. Rear door actuators were bad when I bought it but I didn't realize until after the purchase and a little research. Solenoid pack failed, upper radiator hose failed, coolant outlet pipe failed, seized lug on a stud, brakes squealed after replacement and greasing, message center buttons broke off and had to be repaired, traction control button broke off and had to be repaired, parking brake stopped working for a while until I eventually resorted to unhooking the battery for an hour to clear everything and it worked... that's all that comes to mind right now.

However, even with all that, I can still respect the LS for what it is. It's a very attractive, sporty sedan with plenty of power (the 3.9L at least) and lots of amenities that really can't be beat for the current resale.

I sold it for a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD so my wife has something safer to drive up here in CT. I was ridiculed for that and I'm fine with it. I know it will have problems, but my experience with the LS has soured me a bit. It's just the way it is. I would never consider buying one again and wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone either.

Always new for cooling system parts. You can get the parts from your dealer but I would only do that if you need them immediately. Otherwise, order from Tasca or FordPartsgiant. I ordered my cooling parts from the latter.

No hard feelings, I just didn't appreciate your approach as if I don't know anything. He said he wants it to last "forever" so I answered his question honestly, as to what he'll need to repair.

As I said above, I also have the utmost respect for the LS and enjoyed it while I had it and it wasn't giving me problems. I got rid of mine and got a 2011 Jetta SE. I'll also never again own an LS, but I still like and respect the vehicle.

Well, it's impossible to even prepare the car for "forever". The cooling parts fail due to a combination of heat and age. If you replace them today, the parts will eventually fail again for the same reason. The same goes for any part on the car, really. Even with the best maintenance, something will still break.

I didn't mean to cause ya'll to fight & argue argue2 I'm just a noob with questions is all. ;)

Anyway I will be looking out for parts online and I come across a good price I can go ahead and buy them and put them in the storage.

So this is my shopping list so far:

1. Coils (OEM)
  2. Degas tank (OEM)
  3. Spark Plugs (OEM)
  4. DCCV (OEM)

What else do I need to be on the lookout for?

I didn't mean to cause ya'll to fight & argue argue2 I'm just a noob with questions is all. ;)

Anyway I will be looking out for parts online and I come across a good price I can go ahead and buy them and put them in the storage.

1. Coils (OEM)
  2. Degas tank (OEM)
  3. Spark Plugs (OEM)
  4. DCCV (OEM)

Honestly i'd just wait till things fail to be buying them (minus the coils and plugs). No sense buying something that may never fail or has already been replaced without your knowledge.

But off the top of my head, the trans solenoid and valvebody. Front and rear sway bar links. Front and rear sway bar bushings. Rear toe links. Anything else with a bushing is likely to fail eventually.

Waiting till it breaks is good advice. The Ls is really no different than any other car! All models and makes have their Achilles heals so to speak. I have had my 2nd Ls for two years now. I have replaced everything from the ball joints to cooling system components to the window regulators and so on. I would drive this. i would drive this car anywhere high miles or not because I know it's right! At 242k I still modding it! As a matter of fact I just lowered it. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you just need to drive it and when it develops an issue fix it don't ignore and you will be just fine. Enjoy it the LS is an awesome car to drive and own. You made a great choice on a car Welcome to the forum and don't ever hesitate to ask me for help or advice!

I agree with others about just waiting for things to break. If you keep an eye on the car and look for any signs of failure (specifically cooling issues), you should be fine.

1. Coils (OEM)
  2. Degas tank (OEM)
  3. Spark Plugs (OEM)
  4. DCCV (OEM)

Nah, really there's quite a few drama queens on here. They have their little slap fight with their heads turned away for a bit, then they go whimper in a corner somewhere, then it's all OK again until someone else commits the cardinal crime of making a thin skinned comment or not being able to successfully work the search. :D

Since you're looking for longevity, I recall something on this board about Jaguars that use the same AJ engine also have metal parts on the cooling system instead of the Lincoln's plastic parts. Might do a search on this, unless someone wants to post a link to save you some time.

Since you're looking for longevity, I recall something on this board about Jaguars that use the same AJ engine also have metal parts on the cooling system instead of the Lincoln's plastic parts. Might do a search on this, unless someone wants to post a link to save you some time.

I'll save the time. It's only for gen 1 cars.

Waiting till it breaks is good advice. The Ls is really no different than any other car! All models and makes have their Achilles heals so to speak. I have had my 2nd Ls for two years now. I have replaced everything from the ball joints to cooling system components to the window regulators and so on. I would drive this. i would drive this car anywhere high miles or not because I know it's right! At 242k I still modding it! As a matter of fact I just lowered it. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you just need to drive it and when it develops an issue fix it don't ignore and you will be just fine. Enjoy it the LS is an awesome car to drive and own. You made a great choice on a car Welcome to the forum and don't ever hesitate to ask me for help or advice!

Great advice from an experienced LS owner.

I agree with others about just waiting for things to break. If you keep an eye on the car and look for any signs of failure (specifically cooling issues), you should be fine.

Agreed

Now I'm interested in that read.

Lincoln tranny

I just bought a 05 LS off a buddy of mine. I'm looking into puttin sum rims on it and was told 22s would tear up my transmission and I should stay at 20inches. Any insight??

I just bought a 05 LS off a buddy of mine. I'm looking into puttin sum rims on it and was told 22s would tear up my transmission and I should stay at 20inches. Any insight??

I think 22s will require suspension/fender modification and in my opinion would look pretty wretched on this car

How does this apply to this thread? That said 22's look like crap on the Ls in my opinion! 20's are the biggest I would recommend. 19's are the best all around size for the Ls. A few threads/members come to mind with deuce deuces LOL! It never ends well especially if you ever plan to lower.

22" rims on the LS looks like absolute ghetto sh*t.

Not to mention it also makes for a harsh ride.

And you hit a hard pothole you can blow a tire and bend a wheel.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was considering starting one. I've got an 02' prem sport with 163k miles.

In the 6 months I've owned it I've bought/replace/maintained

4 wheels
new tires
3 window regulators
thermostat
lower ball joints
Upper control arm
2 tie rod ends
brakes
all fluids except for rear diff have been flushed/replaced
head unit
rear deck subs
windshield
wheel hubs

All I have left as of now is the last window regulator, clock spring and torque converter or flex plate. Not sure which is knocking but it's driving me crazy. Also my check advancetrac keeps yelling at me. THEN Maybe sway bar end links and bushings.

So having said all of that..........How reliable is the motor and trans itself? I haven't heard anybody having issues with heads, rods knocking, blown transmissions etc. But is there problems I don't know about and maybe should just dump the car? Or most likely, will it last me a while as long as I maintain it?

I'm just not interested in having to replace the entire motor....

Members online

No members online now.
Back