Tranny & Differential fluid change

sexyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I feel it is time to get the tranny & differential fluid changed in the LS. It has been changed before but now @ 127K it time again. I have a few questions that I need help with.

Where should I get the services performed?
  1. Lincoln/Ford dealership
  2. Transmission specialty shop
  3. Independent shop (known family mechanic)
  4. National Shop (ex. Firestone)

Is it ok to use an aftermarket additive such as Lucus Transmission products?
Lucus

Is Ford Motorcraft Mercon V the best fluid I should use or is there a better brand?

FYI: I am getting older now so I don't get on it like I used to in my younger days but still like to have a bit of fun :D so I'm just tryin to be proactive now.

Thanks!

For the rear differential, I would say go to a mechanic you know. The one I went to just lifted my car and used a siphon pump to get all the old fluid out. It took less than 20mins and he didn't charge because I had my own fluid.

I've been wondering about a tranny fluid change myself. I got the car at 76,xxx and is now at 101,xxx. I went to AAMCO and Tire Kingdom to get a full purge done. Tire Kingdom was scared to do it and AAMCO was acting hesitant so I never got it done. Both places said that my car being at high mileage, a purge may clear out things that my car has gotten used to being there and mess up my tranny if removed. Have you had any problems like this?

I used royal purple for my differential and have 12 quarts of royal purple ATF waiting to be used. Not sure how good Mercon is

I've been wondering about a tranny fluid change myself. I got the car at 76,xxx and is now at 101,xxx. I went to AAMCO and Tire Kingdom to get a full purge done. Tire Kingdom was scared to do it and AAMCO was acting hesitant so I never got it done. Both places said that my car being at high mileage, a purge may clear out things that my car has gotten used to being there and mess up my tranny if removed. Have you had any problems like this?

I have heard this before from a Nissan Altima forum that I belong to. Basically from what I understand is that if the tranny fluid has never been replaced then don't try it at high mileage. The previous owner said that he had it done a while back so we will see.

I know mine has been replaced but can say how long ago. I'm trying to find my tune up record for when I first bought my Ls but since it was a family shop, Im wondering if they even did it there. Ammco tested my fluid and told me it was in good shape with no discoloration or burn smell so I'm still wondering if I should get it done.

I don't think it would hurt to get it done again anyway. Just for peace of mind.

Are you talking about a complete trans flush or just a pan drop and filter change?

Either way, take it to a shop you trust. The fill procedure is a bit of a pain because you have to pump fluid in through the bottom of the pan (or the fill plug depending on the year of the car).

A lot of people here will say take never take it to anyone but the dealer but I don't agree with that. If you only trust dealers, then by all means, go there. However, when I lived in FL I had a shop that I trusted with anything and everything. Local place, nice owner, and solid mechanics. Never hesitated to bring me in to their shop to show me something, helped me out with no charge for small things, etc.

I have heard this before from a Nissan Altima forum that I belong to. Basically from what I understand is that if the tranny fluid has never been replaced then don't try it at high mileage. The previous owner said that he had it done a while back so we will see.

That's nonsense. Get a full fluid exchange done at a dealer, then drop the pan and change the filter and clean the magnet. (Or, you could do it the other way around.) Use Mercon V. (A good independent is okay, but no Iffy Lube, Firestone, AAMCO, or other chain.)

Having the fluid sucked out of the differential is a good choice. Otherwise, the exhaust and most of the rear end have to be dropped.

The thing about failure of an old transmission from a fluid change is a false correlation.
Someone starts to have transmission issues.
They take it for a fluid change/flush/exchange.
It fails a few days later.
They blame the fluid change, but really it was going to fail when it did even if no fluid change was done.
You change fluid to prevent problems, not to fix them.

Are you talking about a complete trans flush or just a pan drop and filter change?

Either way, take it to a shop you trust. The fill procedure is a bit of a pain because you have to pump fluid in through the bottom of the pan (or the fill plug depending on the year of the car).

A lot of people here will say take never take it to anyone but the dealer but I don't agree with that. If you only trust dealers, then by all means, go there. However, when I lived in FL I had a shop that I trusted with anything and everything. Local place, nice owner, and solid mechanics. Never hesitated to bring me in to their shop to show me something, helped me out with no charge for small things, etc.

I agree with you man! I have known both dealers and national chains to make mistakes when the small independent shop does things right. I am always a bit hesitant when the dealers and major shops won't let you go into the bay area to inspect their work and want you to trust them.

That being said I am not sure how I feel with the small independent mechanic's skills on working on a complicated tranny such as in the LS. There is a Specialty tranny shop here in town and have been around for a long while and I have known customers who had good results.

Here is a link to their website. Tell me which service you think I should get?
Coleman Taylor Trans

There's a big difference between doing a fluid flush and replacing a worn gear. You don't need a specialty shop to change the fluid and filter on a trans. They're familiar with vehicles in general. Every shop should have access to alldata or a similar service.

I'm not saying not to go to a specialty shop for certain things, but for swapping diff fluid and flushing a trans, I see no concern with a small shop.

If that's the shop you're going to go to, do the full deal Premium Plus. That's a complete flush, dropped/cleaned pan, new filter. Just make sure they use Mercon V, preferably from Motorcraft. Even better, see if they'll allow you to bring your own fluid. You can pick up a case (12 qts) of Mercon V from your local dealer.

Those prices seem surprisingly low to me though. Those are the prices I would expect to find at a Jiffy Lube or other quick garbage chain.

Additional charges apply for Specialty Fluids which vary in cost.

The 5R55N/S may fall in to that category since they don't just use Mercon or ATF+4 or Dextron VI.

I had mine changed at the local Ford dealer at 70K. They were well versed on the job, had it finished in just about 1 1/2 hour and $150.00 I was happy with that.

I stopped by my local dealer today and was told it would be $225 + tax for tranny and $150 + tax for diff. The place that I mentioned previously is closed today so I will call them first thing Monday to get an accurate cost.

I stopped by my local dealer today and was told it would be $225 + tax for tranny and $150 + tax for diff. The place that I mentioned previously is closed today so I will call them first thing Monday to get an accurate cost.

That seems rather high. Same as Talbotway I was only charged about $150. It should only be about an hour of labor + ~40-50 bucks worth of Mercon V.

doing the diff is easy. get a pump (like http://www.amazon.com/Lubrimatic-Fl...TF8&qid=1353805315&sr=8-1&keywords=fluid+pump). pump out as much as you can. then fill until it overflows. just make sure your on level ground. I used lucas - i forget the viscosity. However, I would stick with motorcraft for the trans.
for the trans I noticed a noticeable improvement after the -dealer- flush at 75k (also charged $150). and not much after the drop...filter and fill at 110k (i did it myself, PITA by the way). but you should prob do both.

I had my trans and diff fluid exchange today at 75k miles. Old fluid had good color and pan was clean. Before I felt it was down shifting too easily with the slightest press on the gas. It seems a lot better now. Idk if it was the fluid or if they unlearned the trans.

Had it done at a specialty trans shop that's been here forever. $189

Personally I'd take it to the dealer. I had mine done last week for $218.

He used Mercon V. I made sure before I left it. He new exactly what trans the car had in it. This transmission shop has been in business for 60yrs. There is one ford dealer near me and I hate their arrogance. I won't go there. I went in once to get some new bolts for the rear toe links and the guy at the counter told me to just get a new car because the ls is junk and too expensive to fix.

...the guy at the counter told me to just get a new car because the ls is junk and too expensive to fix.

Nice.
The correct response to that would be to say that you should probably get a new car from some company other than Ford/Lincoln since they made junk, and let the sales manager know that the parts guy is pushing customers away from the brand.

... and not to mention you don't appreciate the insulting comments from a company
in which you though you believed, it would be best to place your consumer dollars.

Just got a trans flush at the dealer for $110 (discounted for wait) and my lines are leaking now. Fair warning.

Had the original fluid in my 2002 LSE V8 replaced last year at about 150k miles by a local independent. Just a fluid exchange/no filter/no pan drop. Left the diff fluid alone. Im now at 159k and all is well.

Note: They initially refilled it a bit low, and I could feel the tranny slipping on right hand turns after a hard braking situation. Took it back a week later, they topped it off and no problems since. $175 was the total

So I called The Ford Dealer near me, here's what they offer as pricing:

For the Diff oil change, its $175 For Both my 2002 and my 2005.

For the Transmission Oil flush:
$219 for the 2002
$204 for the 2005

That is pretty high. I remember paying $149 at a small mechanic shop 6 years ago to do the transmission oil on my 2002.

I just became aware that this was a sealed tranny - as I have been thinking my fluid might be low - When going downhill at speed the trany seems to 'float' between gears

So hit this thread for info - sounds like I need a flush - but dont trust local dealer - Ill be looking for a specialty ship i guess

any one experience the same issue as I am?

I just became aware that this was a sealed tranny - as I have been thinking my fluid might be low - When going downhill at speed the trany seems to 'float' between gears

So hit this thread for info - sounds like I need a flush - but dont trust local dealer - Ill be looking for a specialty ship i guess

any one experience the same issue as I am?

The trans is certainly NOT sealed. Search and you will find why there is no dipstick. Low fluid will also mess with the idle. I would trust the dealer before I would trust an indie who may or may not be familiar with the uniqueish of the LS trans.

well I guess thats why I come here - thanks for steering me correct LS4me! im horrible at search function but will look into the no dipstick deal - again thanks for response

Members online

Back