Yet another alternator issue!

McMkVIII94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Can I just grind this "tip" down a little? It's on the front intake tube:

DSC_0177.jpg

I bought a reman'd alternator from an auto electric shop in Columbus GA, about 1.5 hrs from home, and it touches that "tip" right here:

DSC_0178.jpg

That keeps the bottom bolts from snugging up correctly, and also the top left bolt hole (looking from front of car) from lining up with the hole in the mounting bracket... by only about 1/4 inch or so.

This is "supposed" to be a Gen II alt. and I've seen plenty of people say they've put G2 alts on Gen I's w/ no problem.

I sure don't want to have to drive all the way back over there to swap this thing!

that's weird. i've never heard of such an issue...

but yeah, i suppose you could.

well, that figures

If anything weird can happen, it's gonna happen to me :rolleyes:

I went ahead and knocked a little off the corner with a side-grinder, dressed it with a dremel, and she mounted right up snug and square. Putting out 13.62v at idle right now and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks guys...

You may want to double check that snug n square theory. Putting a gen2 alt on a gen 1 sometimes requires slotting the bracket holes so the top of the alt isn't tilted back towards the car...

Wow, make it work. I put the March u/d fluid crank pulley/damper on my Mark and had trouble with the alternator keeping up, so I bought the March 110 pulley for the alternator.

Well, it was rubbing the case because it's made for the Mustang/TBird alternators and the offset was a bit off. So I had to take the front of the case off the alternator and grind the little lip off and grind the pulley down slightly.

Now it's installed and working great - been revved to 7K several times!
MCH-110-08.jpg

You may want to double check that snug n square theory. Putting a gen2 alt on a gen 1 sometimes requires slotting the bracket holes so the top of the alt isn't tilted back towards the car...

Weird.. Also a problem I didn't have.

My 4g dropped right in with a little tweaking of the wireing harness. NetKeym, I also under drive pullies and the alt had a really hard time keeping up.

I had to grind my intake the same on my green 94.

This used to be a common issue, not sure why it's not so much now.

Maybe it was just an early gen 1 issue.

My 4g dropped right in with a little tweaking of the wireing harness. NetKeym, I also under drive pullies and the alt had a really hard time keeping up.

Well, I didn't mean to go off topic, but that little March 110 pulley will solve those problems. I got mine here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-110-08/ But I guess you solved your issues with the alternator upgrade!

Members online

Back