Looking at a 95 Taurus SHO MTX...

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anything I should look for? Buyer says it has 20k on a remanufactered engine and she has all the paperwork.

Ing module, Eng tap noises, suspension components, the rear control arms are a PITA to remove if rusted and you can not buy OEM ones any longer.
SHO isn't the car to get into unless you're well seasoned, they can turn into a nightmare pretty fast

I often want to put a 6 speed in my 98...but then I remember how lazy I am

There was no 96... 97 and newer with a v8

there was a 96

96-99 had the little v8

I had a 1991 before, a good rule of thumb would be to always buy SHOs in bulk, or live close to a junkyard/autozone

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Where did you get that intake?

my friends and I all pitched in a bit to buy the car ($600) and mess around with it a bit. It came with that intake and a lot of bracing on the underside, it also spun both tires.

a 95 mtx huh? what color? the 93-95 manual trans cars are kinda rare. the 95s especially.

Where did you get that intake?

apparently its a sho shop "cold" air intake. they are no longer made. quit production about 15 years ago.

i mean, the SHO's aren't much worse than mark viii's in terms of maintenance. no air ride. rod bearings are getting rare and are a 60-100k item

rear controls have aftermarket replacements.

suspension components? its just got taurus suspension for the most part. rear is identical, front has bigger lower control arms, but still available.

engine tap noises? huh.. my mark taps, the SHO doesn't...

they were built in 96. 96-99 need cam welding. just had to weld some cams on a 97.

since its got slicers already, you can throw a set of Mark VIII brakes on the front for a cheap big brake kit.

don't one wheel peel. it'll throw a diff pin sooner or later.

look for normal ford things. rust anywhere. check for rattling interior pieces.

www.shoforum.com
www.shosource.com

I had a 94 or 95 5 speed. Lost the engine one day at about 46000 miles. I had warranty so 8 weeks later they shipped it to the dealer and it lasted 10000 miles. They claimed some pieces of metal were in the oil pan or something like that and that is what made throw a rod.

I had a 1996 V8 Auto SHO and loved it. Best drivers seat I've ever had. Handled great and felt sportier and faster than a low miles 1998 Mustang GT.

Anything I should look for? Buyer says it has 20k on a remanufactered engine and she has all the paperwork.

Trust, but verify.

Pretty much every SHO I've seen in the past 5 years has been a complete pile.. I like the 1st and 2nd gens (and I don't hate the V8 3rd gens either,) but they're very difficult to find in good shape these days.

Based on my having 2 engines go bad,I would never buy a SHO again.

v6 or v8?

v8s need the cams welded but are pretty reliable.

the V6s with good rod bearings are near indestructible. i watched a youtube video where cash for clunkers tried to kill a v6 sho. they almost couldnt do it.

Members online

Back