need help with LSE spoiler. pretty sure the body shop installed it wrong.

SickLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Got my car back today from the body shop to install my gen1 LSE spoiler. I'm sure its installed wrong and I want your guys opinion. How much space is there suppose to be between the top of the Lincoln emblem on the surround to the bottom of the spoiler?

Pictures coming in a min.

Here are the pictures.
The pictures aren't the best quality, doing everything from my EVO.

IMAG0136_edit0.jpg

IMAG0135_edit0.jpg

IMAG0133_edit0.jpg

IMAG0137_edit0.jpg

IMAG0140_edit1.jpg

IMAG0138_edit0.jpg

That's too low. If you look at Alax7's its higher. Mine still isn't painted :(
Move it up 1/4 to 3/8 an inch.

DSC09797.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.

Here is mine.

I did it myself with my dad's help. It touches and lays flat on the trunk from end to end, you have to work it to get it like this, probably cause it's for a gen1 not a gen2 but it fits perfectly if you work at it.

DSC09932.jpg

DSC09911.jpg

DSC09798.jpg

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was on wrong. The problem is I bought it to my friend who's been in auto body for 34 years. (He's retired now) and he thinks the spoiler is destroyed from them applying so much force on the spoiler trying to get it to seat on the hood. There's weird marks in the center and near the edges. If it is ruined I hope I can find a new one. The dam shop I brought it to, to install it, better pay for the new one.

I don't know how it's destroyed, but it does seem little warped in a way. I say you do it, but you need 2 people to hold it down and apply a little force without it moving to get it to the curvature of the gen2 trunk. I think the gen1 trunk is flat, but if you look closely,
the center on mine is slightly higher.

I think lincoln luebbe got his installed flat, check his install out, maybe you would rather it be like that.

I don't know how it's destroyed, but it does seem little warped in a way. I say you do it, but you need 2 people to hold it down and apply a little force without it moving to get it to the curvature of the gen2 trunk. I think the gen1 trunk is flat, but if you look closely,
the center on mine is slightly higher.

I think lincoln luebbe got his installed flat, check his install out, maybe you would rather it be like that.

+1....the gen 1 is a bit more flat. Here is mine...

LSE1.jpg

LSE2.jpg

LSE3.jpg

I didn't get it to lay as flat as the Gen I LSE style comes, but I probably have a just a little less curvature then Alax7 does. It is true the Gen II LS decklid has a different shape than the Gen I. There is about a hair more than an 1/8 of an inch between the emblem and spoiler although you can't really see it in the pic.

Mclaren LSE for Gen I reference...

http://www.insideline.com/lincoln/ls/photos/2002-new-york-lincoln-ls-gallery.html

246.jpg

247.jpg

245.jpg

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was on wrong. The problem is I bought it to my friend who's been in auto body for 34 years. (He's retired now) and he thinks the spoiler is destroyed from them applying so much force on the spoiler trying to get it to seat on the hood. There's weird marks in the center and near the edges. If it is ruined I hope I can find a new one. The dam shop I brought it to, to install it, better pay for the new one.

There is no way you can destroy it if its an OEM LSE spoiler since its made of a heavy duty polymer. My guess is they did not wait long enough for the paint to cure/dry before pressing down on it with too much pressure which would cause swirls and small indentations. Worst case you will just need to re-sand and repaint it. I agree with others it needs to be moved up 1/4 inch or more.

There is no way you can destroy it if its an OEM LSE spoiler since its made of a heavy duty polymer. My guess is they did not wait long enough for the paint to cure/dry before pressing down on it with too much pressure which would cause swirls and small indentations. Worst case you will just need to re-sand and repaint it. I agree with others it needs to be moved up 1/4 inch or more.

And one more thing...when I got mine it was not flat on top from the factory. It had a couple of visable peaks and valleys so It took a bunch of pre sanding to get it looking reasonably true. Since yours is black it will exaggerate any imperfections. Have the body shop spend time getting it right before application on the car...it will cost some $ but the result will be worth it

I would be freaking out!! They definitely indented the middle and both ends by pushing down too hard..and the lip is installed a little bit too low.
That really sux considering that is a discontinued item. I hope the shop will fix it for you somehow but it will be up to them. There really isnt any legal recourse for cosmetic issues like that.

Damn that sucks but like everyone says I dont thinks its destroyed, most likely going to have to be repainted and re-installed. What sucks is taking that one off and re-apply new 3m tape as well. I had to do it on mine because I wasnt happy with the paint job.

pic of mine for reffrence maybe mine sits to high?

5980280860_23a425d978_z.jpg

Hey guys I've been on the search for a gen1 LSE spoiler, no luck yet. I think I found something but I'm not sure if it is one or not, thoughts.....
I didn't want to start a new thread thought this was an adequate place to post the question.

image.jpg

Is that the gen 1 LSE spoiler? Or is it just an imitation?

That's not what mine looked like when I picked mine up from the Ford dealership. It was not primed. Judging by the description and them using the word custom it's probably a replica.

The different shape in trunks between a Gen 1 and 2 would explain why my Wings West spoiler is not a perfect fit. The corners on the center piece started to flare up after awhile. I had the body shop redo it last week and it looks much better since they used an adhesion promoter and better 3M tape. Hopefully, the body shop that did this install for you will fix any issues you have with it.

The different shape in trunks between a Gen 1 and 2 would explain why my Wings West spoiler is not a perfect fit. The corners on the center piece started to flare up after awhile. I had the body shop redo it last week and it looks much better since they used an adhesion promoter and better 3M tape. Hopefully, the body shop that did this install for you will fix any issues you have with it.

I made this thread around a year ago. It has been resolved. I had them reinstall it. The funny part is they called me into the shop to show them how to properly installed it. That's the last time I'm going to that shop. Lol. The thread got bumped cuz SilverBucket is on the Seach for a gen1 LSE spoiler. Idk if you saw that. lol

Lol, nope. I hope they didn't charge you for the work since you had to show them how to do it!

Members online

No members online now.
Back