Areo Turbine Resonator question

Luk3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable mpg and performance difference swapping out stock resonator with and Areo Turbine Resonator or is it all just hype? on an 02.

Hype, but there might be a slight, negative, difference.

negative? heh. thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go without replacing the whole exhaust.

Dont know if itll have much of an effect with a stock exhaust, if any. However, with my custom bassani exhaust it worked wonders. Got rid of unwanted rasp and drone, while keeping the volume at the level i wanted and it sounds fantastic!

Would it make sense to throw one in with a pair of magnaflow 11225s?

I would say no, but i'm no expert. If you're on a budget and going with magnaflows i would say just go with no resonators at all.

Once I installed my Magnaflow mufflers (11224), I saw an increase in MPGs.

I went 2.5" from the tranny back with a pair of Pype's race pro's and I'm sure I lost 1-2mpg...

What are you trying to achieve first of all

What are you trying to achieve first of all

From the question, I assumed better mileage and better power. If that assumption was incorrect, then my answer might be incorrect as well.

correct better milage and power without rebuilding the entire exhaust system if possible. (Budget exhaust) At a minimum i want to put new mufflers and tips but was wondering if i could do anything else.

From the question, I assumed better mileage and better power. If that assumption was incorrect, then my answer might be incorrect as well.

Oops. Read it a little fast :shifty:

So you dont care about sound at all?

You can either get sound or "performance" gains or go do what that one jag guy did and do ugly mods to get his jag to get higher mpg at the cost of looking good and performance.

Most here prefer sound/performance. I dont think just changing resonators will do much of either sound, performance, mpg.You can get magnaflow mufflers + aeroturbine resonators, but magnaflows with resonators sound too quiet to me, so if you do mags , I would just do an x-pipe and magnaflows.

correct better milage and power without rebuilding the entire exhaust system if possible. (Budget exhaust) At a minimum i want to put new mufflers and tips but was wondering if i could do anything else.

Just swap mufflers then with mags or bassani or your choice of straight through mufflers. I would suggest doing your whole exhaust with mandrel bends, 2.5'' piping, and your choice of components eventually though.

If and when I redo it I'm going down to 2.25 from the X to the mufflers. I'm hoping to pick that missing MPG back up.

The factory stuff is 2.25 at the cat pipe, 2" crimpy pipe the rest of the way back...

I thought gen2's were 2.5 before the cats and 2.25 the rest of the way back.

2.25 duals is more than enough for an LS. It's only a 3.9L at most, and too big is as bad as too small. When the pipes are too big you lose cylinder scavenging.

So far as whether to use a resonator or not, resonators take the crackle out. They do not adjust volume and should not affect flow. Since this is a budget build I would try without first, and drive it for a week or two after you get the muffler of your choice on. If it's too crackly, get the resonator installed. If it's too loud and too crackly, install a set of short glasspacks as this will eliminate the crackle as well as a resonator will with the added advantage of lowering the volume a bit. I've used glasspacks as resonators after the mufflers in the past, no idea how well they would work if they have to go in front of the mufflers.

I thought gen2's were 2.5 before the cats and 2.25 the rest of the way back.

My 06 (stock) has 2.25" from the cats to the resonators and 2" from the resonators to the tips. Before the cats i have no idea.

I personally think 2.5" is too big for the LS.

When I do mine next year I'm doing 2.25" all the way through with a xpipe and resonator delete. Not sure what mufflers I'm going with yet.

I was just on Magnaflows website and even their full catback exhaust for the LS is 2.25". I found that interesting.

Members online

No members online now.
Back