For the people who chagned the trans fluid??

cmack

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Was the bolt/plug you take out to fill the trans, a torx or a hex? Used a torx, had a good fit tried to turn it and then it felt like I stripped it. Was in a hurry so now at work and thought it might be a Hex. Had a hard enuff time changing the solenoid block.

Sometimes, it helps to know what year your LS is...

I forgot what mine was but I ordered a new one and changed it out while I was doing it, the new one was different I remember that. Mine is a 02 3.9 and I believe it was a torx and the new one that came was a allen if I remember correctly.

torx on the old one (it stripped) and then torx on the new one.

torx on the old one (it stripped) and then torx on the new one.

Well that sucks. How did you get the old one out? Being that I probably stripped mine too. I'm thinking about ways to pump the fluid up the drain plug.

Well that sucks. How did you get the old one out? Being that I probably stripped mine too. I'm thinking about ways to pump the fluid up the drain plug.

You can't pump the fluid up the drain plug. The drain plug is designed to do exactly what it's called... drain. The drain plug is a long, hollow plug. The center plug (or fill plug) is basically just a cap. I wish I could find a sectional of the trans pan but I can't. I know I've seen it before but it shows exactly how the plugs work.

What do you mean "it felt like" you stripped it? Did you not look at it? You should have no issue seeing it, so check it out. I believe the Gen 1 transmissions had a hex plug; I know that the newer ones I have messed with all have had the torx, and make sure you are using the right size. I think it is a T30. If it is stripped, get a new drain plug.

You can't pump the fluid up the drain plug. The drain plug is designed to do exactly what it's called... drain. The drain plug is a long, hollow plug. The center plug (or fill plug) is basically just a cap. I wish I could find a sectional of the trans pan but I can't. I know I've seen it before but it shows exactly how the plugs work.

You pump the fluid up through the drain plug. :rolleyes: Although, at least on the 5R55S, there is a plug by the tailshaft for filling the transmission which is much easier to use.

No, actually you can pump fluid in through the inner part of the coaxial drain plug.

Here's how.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71025.htm~gen~ref.htm

No, actually you can pump fluid in through the inner part of the coaxial drain plug.

Here's how.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71025.htm~gen~ref.htm

Yes, through the inner part of the drain plug. That's what I was referencing as the "center plug". I assumed when he said:

he meant he wanted to take the drain plug out and pump fluid in because he stripped out the center plug. Unless I'm just misreading this? This whole thread is about how he stripped the torx on the center plug.

You pump the fluid up through the drain plug. :rolleyes: Although, at least on the 5R55S, there is a plug by the tailshaft for filling the transmission which is much easier to use.

I'm completely aware of the fill procedure. This thread is about how he thinks he stripped the inner plug on the drain plug. He then mentioned finding a way to pump fluid up the drain plug, so I assumed he meant taking the entire plug out and pumping fluid out. If he meant just filling it through standard methods, I don't think he would need to "find a way" to do it.

If he meant just filling it through standard methods, I don't think he would need to "find a way" to do it.

Why not? You need a way to push the fluid up through the drain plug. It is not like a typical transmission where you can add fluid through the dipstick line with a funnel. You need a pump, suction gun, or otherwise "find a way" to get the fluid to go against gravity into the transmission. You seem to be the only one in the thread that has an issue with his phrasing.

Yes, through the inner part of the drain plug. That's what I was referencing as the "center plug". I assumed when he said:

he meant he wanted to take the drain plug out and pump fluid in because he stripped out the center plug. Unless I'm just misreading this? This whole thread is about how he stripped the torx on the center plug...

You may well be right. I assumed he meant he had messed up the fill plug on the side. I guess only cmack can clear this up with certainty.

ok, after coming back to it today. Yes I did strip the plug that you remove to fill the transmission toward the back of the trans. Tomorrow I will try to find a small enuff tube to put thru the inner part of the drain plug. I want to leave the main plug in and just use the inner tube/shaft to push the fluid thru. I don't have the special tools listed in this link http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
But hopefully I can just pump fluid into the pan.

Why not? You need a way to push the fluid up through the drain plug. It is not like a typical transmission where you can add fluid through the dipstick line with a funnel. You need a pump, suction gun, or otherwise "find a way" to get the fluid to go against gravity into the transmission. You seem to be the only one in the thread that has an issue with his phrasing.

Well, it looks like the plug he was talking about was the plug at the tailshaft, not the coaxial drain plug. I assumed, and I feel rightfully so considering it's the by-the-books way to do it, that he was talking about the two piece drain plug.

And my issue with "find a way" do it is that there are plenty of resources around to show you the proper way to fill this trans. That's why he shouldn't need to find a way to do it. You can order the fill adapter for like $12 on Amazon and also pick up a pump if you need it.

There's very little detail in this thread as to which plug is being talked about. Perhaps I should have gone into detail in my original reply about removing the center plug, installing the special adapter, and pumping fluid in.

Man that title is getting on my nerves. Typing too fast. Put fluid back in and now have codes p0750, p0755 and p0743 and the E. Made sure with engine running I have a small stream of fluid coming out(almost drippy). Before I changed the solenoid block I did not have the E, and the only codes I had were for solenoid block b, and incorrect gear ratio for gears 2 and 5. Probably should have taken it to a shop.

Also the fan won't cut off. It stays on high. smh

Man that title is getting on my nerves. Typing too fast. Put fluid back in and now have codes p0750, p0755 and p0743 and the E. Made sure with engine running I have a small stream of fluid coming out(almost drippy). Before I changed the solenoid block I did not have the E, and the only codes I had were for solenoid block b, and incorrect gear ratio for gears 2 and 5. Probably should have taken it to a shop.

Also the fan won't cut off. It stays on high. smh

Your replacement solenoid assembly was bad, your connector is loose (you did put the bolt back in and tighten?), or you damaged the wiring.

There's a temperature sensor in the solenoid assembly. If it's bad or the connector is loose or the wiring bad, the PCM may be reading the transmission as over temperature. If so, that probably causes it to set the fan to high speed.

Your replacement solenoid assembly was bad, your connector is loose (you did put the bolt back in and tighten?), or you damaged the wiring.

There's a temperature sensor in the solenoid assembly. If it's bad or the connector is loose or the wiring bad, the PCM may be reading the transmission as over temperature. If so, that probably causes it to set the fan to high speed.

Yep the connector was loose. I took the bolt out with a swivel 1/4in ratchet. Guess it didn't work to well getting it back in. I sacrificed one of my combination wrenches and got it cut. Didn't realize how loose the bolt was. All tight now. Fired it up and no E or check transmission message. Gonna change the oil and test it out later.

Yep the connector was loose. I took the bolt out with a swivel 1/4in ratchet. Guess it didn't work to well getting it back in. I sacrificed one of my combination wrenches and got it cut. Didn't realize how loose the bolt was. All tight now. Fired it up and no E or check transmission message. Gonna change the oil and test it out later.

I cut down a ratcheting 8mm combination wrench for that connector. Well worth it! :cool:

Members online

Back