so what can we do to lighten the nose?

mossbergman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
any aftermarkert k members? locate the battery to the trunk, is about all i can think of, maybe delete air and get rid of the compressor and all of the air related stuff. the engine is already all Al so nothing to do there. Not gonna do anything now just kinda curious..

any aftermarkert k members? locate the battery to the trunk, is about all i can think of, maybe delete air and get rid of the compressor and all of the air related stuff. the engine is already all Al so nothing to do there. Not gonna do anything now just kinda curious..

Once you convert to coils and get rid of the air stuff, you're still not changing the nose weight that much. You gotta figure that while you are ditching the compressor, you still are replacing the lighter air bags with heavier coil springs. Two things I would do is run a set of 4" aluminum mini spares up front with narrow rubber for the track and relocate the battery to the trunk like you said. I was toying around with the idea of putting some M&H front runners on the mini spares up front on my car because that rubber is lighter yet than even a narrow street radial.

diamond_hole_saw.jpg

Add weight to the rear, the nose will be lighter then..er... Lighter than the rear anyway.

Unless you're drastically reducing the weight you really won't notice much of a difference in times..I believe the rule of thumb is for every 100 lbs you lose a tenth in the 1/4..unless you are making it into a drag car I really don't see a point in weight reducion..like kstromberg said coils are heavier than the airbags..a lot heavier..pick up a coil spring in one hand and a factory rear air bag..you will be amazed at hot much heavier it is.

Before I hit the track again with the 98, I'm probably going to have the battery relocated to the trunk. This will also be my first time on the lighter wheels up front. I ran steelies last year which gave a smaller footprint but did not reduce the weight at all. It may be surprising how close I get to the top of the NA list. Follow my lead moss. ;)

I believe the rule of thumb is for every 100 lbs you lose a tenth in the 1/4..unless you are making it into a drag car I really don't see a point in weight reducion

I agree with you but may I also add that the idea of a lightweight wheel/tire combo up front is not so much about the "dead weight" concept as it is rotational mass on the end of your axles. Driller said that he noticed a difference at the track with the skinnies because of just that. The roll-out of the car is better. And if it makes a positive difference at the tree, it will positively affect your e/t at the end of the track.

AJE used to make tubular k members...hard to find and prone to cracking and fitment issues.

Battery to the trunk, and relocate airr ride compressor to the trunk (if on air still)

and relocate airr ride compressor to the trunk (if on air still)

Nah. That thing weighs like 5 lbs. I usually add that much weight to the front anyways after I hit the concession stand, and that's even after I have pooped. LOL

Nah. That thing weighs like 5 lbs. I usually add that much weight to the front anyways after I hit the concession stand, and that's even after I have pooped. LOL

The bracket, compressor, and dryer weighs 11 lbs , he asked how to lighten the nose not the driver.

11 lbs is 11 lbs...there's plenty more 'useless' crap one could remove and hack away at...

Every little bit counts.

A 3750 pound luxobarge really isn't the ideal dragster anyway lol!! these cars are pretty light in the front compared to most others anyway. it only took 3 of us to pick up a complete 4.6 DOHC that I pulled out of a wrecked 93 that I parted out. try that with a boat anchor that most others at the strip run. just keep adding power and you will be more than happy with her.

I agree with you but may I also add that the idea of a lightweight wheel/tire combo up front is not so much about the "dead weight" concept as it is rotational mass on the end of your axles. Driller said that he noticed a difference at the track with the skinnies because of just that. The roll-out of the car is better. And if it makes a positive difference at the tree, it will positively affect your e/t at the end of the track.

Correct. Lightweight skinnies will typically net a .15-.20 decrease in ET's over the typical street tire on these cars.

Dropping the AC compressor, condenser, lines, and filter/dryer will knock a good deal of weight off the nose, too.

ACdeletepulley.jpg

Oh man, I'm getting ideas now. 13.59 before the dyno, lightweight skinnies, a/c delete, and battery relocate. I also launched at lower rpms and never really powerbraked my car. I bet I could pull off a low-low 13 if I did all of this.

Members online

Back