Suspension firmness question

MooJohn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I can't tell a difference between plush > normal > firm suspension settings. I mean nothing. The steering firmness is easily felt and the air suspension works perfectly. I have no warning messages on the dash. Reviews say the "plush" setting should drive like a cruise ship so I'm sure I should see some difference.

On the Taurus I see you can unplug the struts and they will default to full firm. Is that possible on the Continental? Is there any other way to check the strut operation?

I'll soon bite the bullet and buy a shop manual for the car since it will be useful in the coming years.

No worries - the shop manual is on the way.

I basically want to know the same thing that I've seen only one other person ever ask on a Lincoln forum and it went unanswered: Are the shocks simply on/off, are they variable voltage, or do they use a variable duty cycle to reach the desired firmness. I'd love to be able to dial them in myself if at all possible :D

Once I'm out of the post moderation & no signature purgatory period I'll be able to share anything useful I find.

I've noticed a difference from plush to firm on a few roads back home that have a lot of undulations in them. On plush you seem to rock across them, kinda like a boat on the water. On firm I felt much less movement of the cabin. But thats just me

Absolutely can feel the difference when driving at very high speeds on Interstate + exit ramps & hard, higher speed cornering. FIRM = much stiffer.

Driving around town or 55 mph highway - not really.

I remember the 95-96 being very noticeable when changing modes. This car is barely any different. I still haven't looked into the shock control but it's on my list of things to tinker with.

I can definitely feel a difference when cornering, haven't had a chance to play with it on the highway though. Just got my 2001 Continental on Saturday :)

I've added sway bar bushings to my list of things to try swapping out but that's down the road. I'm game for anything easy and cheap to replace, especially if I can find it in urethane instead of regular rubber.

Members online

Back