smoking steering column

richduty455

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So my brothers 95 mark is smoking out of the steering column.....anyone have anything like this happen? I'm afraid something is going to go on fire....obviously shouldn't be doing this......sorta has an electrical burn smell to it, but everything still works.....HELP!!!!:eek:

The Mutifunction control could of shorted at the Hazard switch.
Seems like someone posted here a few years ago about a smoking Hazard button after he went to a full service detail car wash, they sprayed to much cleaner on top of the column.

I seem to remember there being a recall on ignition switches years ago. My 95 T-bird was affected by it. They were shorting out I believe. I would take key out after driving it and the key would be hot.

I seem to remember there being a recall on ignition switches years ago. My 95 T-bird was affected by it. They were shorting out I believe. I would take key out after driving it and the key would be hot.

+1 on that. My '88 Turbo Coupe and '93 T-Brid Sport were both recalled for ignition switch fire hazards.

no way....the car is home and not being used.....i'm off tonight so I'm going to look at it tonight.....i want to fix it asap cause he's using my car to go to work....97 ws6 t/a

So I fixed the problem.....the multifunction switch was bad and starting to short out.......replaced it with a spare old one I had laying around to test it.....and good as new! :) Thanks for everyones help!

Members online

No members online now.
Back