2000 LS wont shift into gear - Like in neutral

mikegeezy21

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Lincoln LS v8 all of sudden wont go into gear. I was at a red light and was in D5 and pressed the gas and my car wouldn't go anywhere. Like it was in neutral. I did take it to a drive thru car wash (Chevron) prior to this happening. Not sure if it was damaged there but I can move the shifter into every gear but it just wont engage into the gears. What has happened?

The first thing to check for is a sudden transmission fluid leak, maybe from one of the cooling lines. Low or no fluid will cause the symptom you have, as would some other things. Running the engine with the transmission low on or out of fluid can cause major transmission damage, so you want to check that first.

Aamco found that my tranny fluid was really dirty, old and had messed up something in the transmission so they need to open it up. They said they would do everything to fix it for $950. Rebulit tranny pretty much. So that's a good deal right??? I mean Vista Ford said around $2,500 - 3,000!!

whats a messed up something...dear good i hope thats not how they sold it to you!?!?!?

Aamco found that my tranny fluid was really dirty, old and had messed up something in the transmission so they need to open it up. They said they would do everything to fix it for $950. Rebulit tranny pretty much. So that's a good deal right??? I mean Vista Ford said around $2,500 - 3,000!!

AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out) tends to diagnose all problems as being that the transmission needs to be rebuilt. They have even been caught "rebuilding" by replacing your transmission with one from a junk yard. Personally, I'd go somewhere else (a good dealer or a good independent). The chain shops are almost never the best place to go.

They said they have to open up the tranny to see whats wrong. And thanks for the sarcasm guy. That's what I reaaly need right now...

They said they have to open up the tranny to see whats wrong. And thanks for the sarcasm guy. That's what I reaaly need right now...

It's not sarcasm, it's truth. What you need is a good transmission guy. If my advice is unneeded, then I shall refrain from bothering you.
(I've seen AAMCO advise a transmission rebuild for someone that just had a bad ignition coil, twice.)

Sarcasm statement was for G-Rell. Just don't know what to do and I need my car asap for my new job.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. However, G-RELL's comment doesn't seem to fit the definition of sarcasm to me either. Unless this is similar to how Alanis Morissette defines ironic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back