intermediate shaft

solarys

LVC Member
Reaction score
Help needed! I have a 2K5 Lincoln LS V6. When turning the steering wheel, it feels like I have no power steering. There is no leakage of power steering fluid. The PS pump appears to be working.

I took it to my local mechanic, he says I need a intermediate shaft. My local Lincoln dealer wants about '$800 for the part itself.

Does that price sound about right for the correct part. The description says assy. Am I asking for the right part here. Does anyone know the correct part to ask for, or part number for that matter. Any/All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Now it's my turn to replace the intermediate steering shaft on my 04.
Unfortunately, Ford has discontinued the part now. The first two places I tried to order from canceled the order after a day. I am now trying TitisWillFordParts.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than junkyard - my last resort) if they cancel too?

Solarys, did you receive your part? Got a FORD part number. Some auto parts stores can cross-reference if you have the original FORD part number. Especially helpful when FORD discontinues the part! Thanks!

Well, at least they're willing to back order it. Meanwhile, I've ordered a junkyard part from ebay. From the description, I assume that it is only going to be the lower half of the intermediate shaft assembly. I hope it's the lower joint that binding on mine.

The upper joint was my problem. I had to get the part from a guy parting out an LS.

just curious, did yall have any symptoms prior to part failure?

I had this problem on my wife's old volvo and penetrating fluid worked. You need to soak it in penentrant or keep spraying the penetrant on for a few days. It eventually freed up. Use a good penetrating fluid. I used liquid wrench which is rated highly and not expensive as I used two cans on it. This was last year and it was still good until I sold the car. The other option is removing it and soaking the u-joint in penetrating oil. If your only option is used, I would suggest soaking before installation.

If you go the option of removing the shaft I think greasing would be an option if we can't get new parts anymore. Pull the end caps of the u-joint and add some grease in them.

You can't do that. It's a non-serviceable unit due to safety standards. You have to press it apart.

That's exactly what the dealer said about the u-joint on my wife's Volvo. Not a serviceable part. The penetrating fluid worked though. If we have no other choice what is the other option? We can't buy a replacement from what this thread states, only used are available.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm the one that had the issue in the thread M4rk linked. It was terrible. The car was down for about 1.5 months because I couldn't source a part. Ended up finding someone parting out a car in Colorado but he only shipped me the lower half the first time and it still cost me like $150 total. Junkyards tend to sell the entire steering column for $200 or so and that includes the intermediate shaft.

I contacted two or three people on here about part outs, they emailed me back asking for a diagram of exactly what part I need and I never heard back.

I would try penetrating fluid. It's worth a shot. It will either work or it won't. I'm just concerned that if the problem shows up, the bearings are already dried out and grinding against each other. If you can catch it early enough it might be okay.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm the one that had the issue in the thread M4rk linked. It was terrible. The car was down for about 1.5 months because I couldn't source a part. Ended up finding someone parting out a car in Colorado but he only shipped me the lower half the first time and it still cost me like $150 total. Junkyards tend to sell the entire steering column for $200 or so and that includes the intermediate shaft.

I contacted two or three people on here about part outs, they emailed me back asking for a diagram of exactly what part I need and I never heard back.

I would try penetrating fluid. It's worth a shot. It will either work or it won't. I'm just concerned that if the problem shows up, the bearings are already dried out and grinding against each other. If you can catch it early enough it might be okay.

My 04 is not in as bad of shape. It's making a little noise while turning the wheel, and there is a slight resistance to turning it. I'm spraying lubricant on the joints as needed to keep it down to almost no issue, but I have to respray every week or two now. It's shot and will have to be replaced.

I don't remember any noises. Maybe yours is the lower half then because your description differs from what I remember. As far as I'm aware, the problem showed up out of the blue. 1/4 to the right or left of center and it was like you hit a wall. You had to give it a decent push to get it past that spot and then it was fine until you got to 3/4 or so.

I don't remember any noises. Maybe yours is the lower half then because your description differs from what I remember. As far as I'm aware, the problem showed up out of the blue. 1/4 to the right or left of center and it was like you hit a wall. You had to give it a decent push to get it past that spot and then it was fine until you got to 3/4 or so.

There is a TSB about the noise issue that says to replace the intermediate shaft. It's funny because the noise sounds like it is coming from the steering column inside the car, near the steering wheel. The sound transmits up the metal steering shaft. (Spraying lube on the u-joints greatly reduces the sound inside.)

There is a TSB about the noise issue that says to replace the intermediate shaft. It's funny because the noise sounds like it is coming from the steering column inside the car, near the steering wheel. The sound transmits up the metal steering shaft. (Spraying lube on the u-joints greatly reduces the sound inside.)

ive got the noise described in the quote above. i was pretty sure the noise was inside the car, exactly as described above, so i havent even bothered looking into it. thats why i asked if yall had any symptoms before hand. mine only seems to do it when its 60 degrees or less for a few days straight. i think it started doing it again about a month ago and i had not heard it since march. same thing last year, no noise all summer.
what yr is showing the TSB? got a link?

i found bulletin #16168 from 2002. you little whippersnappers are so helpful

Well, at least they're willing to back order it. Meanwhile, I've ordered a junkyard part from ebay. From the description, I assume that it is only going to be the lower half of the intermediate shaft assembly. I hope it's the lower joint that binding on mine.

The junkyard part just arrived. It is actually the complete intermediate shaft assembly, and the joints feel smooth. I probably won't get to install it till this weekend.

Well that's a good sign. Nice that it's the entire shaft as well just in case it's not the joint you were expecting. Mind me asking what you paid for it?

Well that's a good sign. Nice that it's the entire shaft as well just in case it's not the joint you were expecting. Mind me asking what you paid for it?

$49.95 (includes shipping)

They sent it with the boot and collar too.

Anyone tried sourcing out an S-Type shaft? They were manufactured up until 2008 and the XF might even use the same piece. Although I am guessing it will be a slight-bit more then $50.

Members online

Back