Seafoam

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I wanna do this treatment but don't quite know what hose to suck the stuff into the engine with. Is the hose on the left here coming off the intake? Or am I just WAY off base here?

And yeah, I know my engine bay is dirty. I live on a dirt road

IMG_20120804_151537.jpg

you probably need to be past the throttle body. there won't be any vacuum to suck up anything in the intake tube.

I know the bottle that I had said the PCV tube. But the V8 does not have one correct? only on the v6?

Don't do seafoam...

If you want want to do something, get B12, mix 1 oz per gallon of gas (roughly a can and a half to a full tank). Run that all the way to empty. It'll do a better job than seafoam will... plus it acts like an octane boost.

DO NOT LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH YOUR PAINT

2616.jpg

I wouldn't really bother with the whole de-carboning an engine thing. That was more of an issue for leaded fuels or seriously abused engines. Unless you are having issues with fowling or knock or rough idling (that isn't COP related!) then you are more then likely fine. Just pour it into the tank and let it clean the engine slowly. Your cats will thank you for it.

Probably the only service I would look at on a higher-mileage car would be an induction cleaning. You can get a lot of grime build-up in the intake and runners. Still run into the same problem where it could pump a bunch of trash through the cats and plug them up though.

fun fun :)

Thanks for the information everyone. Yeah, I think I'll just run some B12 through the gas then. I dont really know how the previous owner treated the car (for its first 100k) so I wanna just do some tune up kinda stuff like this.

I know the bottle that I had said the PCV tube. But the V8 does not have one correct? only on the v6?

The V8 has no PCV valve. It still does have a PCV system, so there is a PCV vacuum tube.

That said, using SeaFoam is a waste.

The V8 has no PCV valve. It still does have a PCV system, so there is a PCV vacuum tube.

That said, using SeaFoam is a waste.

understood, Thats what I was leaning towards but I was not 100%. Any recommendations on a product that would work or are they all just a waste of time and money?

It's all snake oil TBH. Using quality gas is a better solution. Don't fix it if it ain't broken?

General Motors sells a top engine cleaner that works really well, but as was said a quality gasoline to begin with is the best way. If you don't know what your car has been run on, then a shot of the top engine cleaner will decarbon the inside. Any nonmetered vacuum port on your intake can be used to put the stuff in.

When I want to run a fuel system cleaner through the gas I normally use Lucas fuel treatment, or Marvel Mystery Oil. Both work well, and I won't use anything else.

understood, Thats what I was leaning towards but I was not 100%. Any recommendations on a product that would work or are they all just a waste of time and money?
Other than the B12, I wouldn't worry about it. The B12 will remove stuff from your injectors and probably anything the gasoline immediately comes in contact with. Other than that, you can't expect too much more.

I did seafoam on my old Town Car once, back when I was still naive. lol Other than making a big cloud of smoke, it didn't do anything.

To clean injectors and fuel system I've used BG 44k (http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html) stuff which I believe some Ford dealers use as well and is supposed to be pretty heavy duty. As far as the benefits, I didn't see much improvement in anything. If you fill up with decent gas, I don't see much of a point using these type of products. Some people say they help but a majority feel they are just a waste of money.

To clean injectors and fuel system I've used BG 44k (http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html) stuff which I believe some Ford dealers use as well and is supposed to be pretty heavy duty. As far as the benefits, I didn't see much improvement in anything. If you fill up with decent gas, I don't see much of a point using these type of products. Some people say they help but a majority feel they are just a waste of money.
Did I mention B12 is typically under $4 at WalMart? lol

Yeah, the BGk 44 is expensive and as far as I know you can't buy it in stores. I got 4 cans on ebay about a year ago for like 30 or something.

Seafoam & B12 are meant to be used in 3 consecutive full tanks of gas to be effective. Less than that you will not get the benifits. @ 62 years old and wrenching on vehicles since 1962 you learn a few things. These products are made to cope with modern engines and emision systems. 1 can per tank works most of the time. These products are real good to remove carbon build up in all lawn equipment also, add like Stabil to gas, 1 ounce per gal.

Seafoam & B12 are meant to be used in 3 consecutive full tanks of gas to be effective. Less than that you will not get the benifits. @ 62 years old and wrenching on vehicles since 1962 you learn a few things. These products are made to cope with modern engines and emision systems. 1 can per tank works most of the time. These products are real good to remove carbon build up in all lawn equipment also, add like Stabil to gas, 1 ounce per gal.
My truck is at 97,000 miles and its time to replace those factory installed plugs (a much bigger problem than on the LS as they like to break in the head, but I wont get into it). So I've been putting it off, and last summer the truck started running funny in the heat. Lack of power, rough idle. A friend of mine races a car he and his friends made from Nissan parts at a junk yard (and is a big fan of modding his S2000). He recommended B12. Used it in one tank on my truck and the issues went away. It doesn't change the fact it needs new plugs, but it sold me on using the stuff.

I've used Seaform and Lucas before. Seafoam I used in an old Crown Vic with a 5.0 to help free up a stuck lifter. Also used the lucas fuel treatment to figure out I had a noisy injector in the LS.

None of them fix anything. That's the misconception with them. Other then that they have their uses.

My friend and shop owner swears by the BG system products. When my 02 started pinging all the time at around 125K I had him do the whole treatment. It didn't ping anymore.

Members online

No members online now.
Back