Will this work...transmission question?

With that plate should I also replace 1-2 accumulator and spring as well?

Yes and if the springs you have aren't broke, just the accumulator alone would be fine. There were no upgrades with the springs and they cost a pretty penny. One is blue and the other is purple. The accumulator is what was upgraded.

All that is is a J-mod valve body. You can do it yourself for 1/6th that cost. Should do the springs too just cause you are in there and they are known to break.
Trans cooler is a brilliant idea. Also check your trans fluid. If its brown and varnishy then dont do the mods, buy a new trans. If its brown but not varnishy then do a fluid change ..... which I guess would be done anyway with a new TC and J-mod. LOL

Trans fluid is clean, but tranny has 130,000+ miles now and figure well it's down some new friction material, inspection of all hard parts and replacement of known issues parts accumulator and springs etc...as well as a jmod or bolt in a valve body and torque convertor and large cooler should keep me going for another 130,000

All that is is a J-mod valve body. You can do it yourself for 1/6th that cost. Should do the springs too just cause you are in there and they are known to break.
Trans cooler is a brilliant idea. Also check your trans fluid. If its brown and varnishy then dont do the mods, buy a new trans. If its brown but not varnishy then do a fluid change ..... which I guess would be done anyway with a new TC and J-mod. LOL

All true except 90% that do j-mods usually leave out the bottom spring and that's the one that normally breaks. I never seen the top spring or heard of one breaking. Doing the j-mod yourself is extremely simple and much agreed that it can be done for a 1/6th of the cost. A cordless drill and a couple of drill bits with two gaskets for the plate is all it takes. Just remove the burr from the holes you drill and drill it to spec, don't over drill for the extra HP ratings either. I think those gaskets are only about $3.00 each and everyone has a cordless drill and some bits.

Yeah and should he decide to leave that spring in because he does not like jerk your neck all the time shifting then he should replace it. Also the other spring cause hes there and has a trans over 100k on it. Cheap insurance.

Yeah and should he decide to leave that spring in because he does not like jerk your neck all the time shifting then he should replace it. Also the other spring cause hes there and has a trans over 100k on it. Cheap insurance.

I wouldn't say cheap but if the money is there to blow, yes, I'd buy both and yes, leaving out the bottom is pretty damn harsh lol. I liked it but then again, I didn't. If it's wet out on the roads, that 2nd gear can get you in trouble before you know it, especially with a posi rear and the bottom spring being left out.

I don't remember what I paid at the Ford place for the springs but it seems like one was close to $30 but for both and the new accumulator was around $75 but again,that was my local Ford parts store. I'm sure I paid more than other places have them but I needed them right then. I couldn't wait on someone to get them to me in 3 or 4 days. My trans on the 94 when I done all this had about 175K on it. The 95 I have now already has the 1-2 and 2-3 updated springs and accumulators. Jamie put those in. Been driving it for over 2 years now without one issue. As long as I don't say it out loud, it can't hear me. :D

I have the rest of the stuff and just ordered up the two springs for the 1-2 accumulator. $20 and $8 for the two from my Ford dealer in Canada on Vancouver Island. I have established a relationship with the parts guy and I get the good price. It's always worth doing that. My 1-2 accumulator was $28 Canadian.

I was gonna wing it but this thread inspired me to grab the springs.

Owning a shop has shown me there are two ways to do a job. Cheap or correct. I choose correct. Every time someone cheaps out it bites them in the ass and costs them double. Fortunatly I make sure the customers know what I reccomend and if they ignore it that they will have to pay again.
Had a customer ignore me on replacing the flywheel so he had to pay $1000 twice for a clutch job. Had another customer ignore me about what to do with his Subaru and now hes in it for over tripple had he just listened.

Not replacing the springs is like doing a timing belt on an Audi and not replacing the water pump and thermostat. $60 in parts and $1000 in labor and they will fail. Pay the labor once while the belt is getting done and be solid. Replace the belt and 4 months latter the thermostat fails and there is another $1000+ bill.

read and write

I wouldn't say cheap but if the money is there to blow, yes, I'd buy both and yes, leaving out the bottom is pretty damn harsh lol. I liked it but then again, I didn't. If it's wet out on the roads, that 2nd gear can get you in trouble before you know it, especially with a posi rear and the bottom spring being left out.

I don't remember what I paid at the Ford place for the springs but it seems like one was close to $30 but for both and the new accumulator was around $75 but again,that was my local Ford parts store. I'm sure I paid more than other places have them but I needed them right then. I couldn't wait on someone to get them to me in 3 or 4 days. My trans on the 94 when I done all this had about 175K on it. The 95 I have now already has the 1-2 and 2-3 updated springs and accumulators. Jamie put those in. Been driving it for over 2 years now without one issue. As long as I don't say it out loud, it can't hear me. :D

be careful nolimit lincolns can read and write! --- mine has a mind of it's own! :D ------ must be female :rolleyes:

576148_344419228977294_1203049129_n.jpg

I'll be replacing both springs only want hard shift under accel

Good to know...I just want it to be perfect

I currently hate the way if shifts at wot going from first to second

You have a 98 so that means that everything is updated. Two drill bits are required to j-mod the 98 trans. 3/32's and 7/64's. Seems like hole 10 gets the 7/64's, which engages reverse quicker and then the rest are 3/32's and knock the burr away and you're done. I can email you the PDF for the 98 if you want it. If you want it perfect and are going to buy the new 1-2 accumulator that you already have and springs, you'll need the 2-3 accumulator and springs too but all of that has already been done for the 98's.

So the '98 Trans has the better accumulators?

Nolimit...if you wanna send me the Instructions and no parts are required with what I already have I'd be more then happy to have it and try this jmod see how I like it

Yes, the 98 is when the accumulators were upgraded and installed. 93-97 did not. That's all you would have to do is a simple j-mod. I put a 98 in the 94 I had and done the j-mod on that one and it took maybe 30 to 45 min to take the valve body apart, drill about 7 or 8 holes "bigger" (the holes are already there) and put back together with the new gaskets. When you get done with it, you'll be proud of yourself for actually getting in there and doing something that most are scared to do, when really, there is nothing to it.

PM me your email address because it is a PDF and it is step by step, simple to read. I'll get it to you. It originally came off of crownvic.net

I am doing a similar mod to my '94, adding a Trans cooler and drilling out separator plates. We'll see how it goes.

i think the 98 trans also has the stronger mechanical diode that blow ups when you slam 1-2 shifts a lot.

i think the 98 trans also has the stronger mechanical diode that blow ups when you slam 1-2 shifts a lot.

Correct. All in all, the 98-03 trans is the one to have. I'm sure later years can be installed but 98 and up can be manually shifted without really having to worry about anything. Pre 98, not a good idea for manual shifting. You do it a few times and before you know it, you'll have instant shudder and then be asking wtf is wrong with your trans lol. Seen it on here too many times.

I would like to find another 98 trans as cheap as I found my last one. $250 with 68K and delivered to my door. All I had to do was help him unload it from his PT Cruiser lol and set it down inside the garage until I was ready to do the swap. Can't beat the price with that kind of mileage and delivered the same day. I'll never see that deal again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back