Cat replacement, feedback welcome

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been told by many that after market cats are a waste of money. Is anyone here running aftermarket cats? If so has it been at least 4 years 80k miles with the aftermarket cats and no CEL?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been told by many that after market cats are a waste of money. Is anyone here running aftermarket cats? If so has it been at least 4 years 80k miles with the aftermarket cats and no CEL?

I have the Thunderbolt CATs and they work great....especially for $80pr.

Even if they only last 3years and 30,000 miles, $80 a pair plus labor is a heck of a cheaper than shelling out $3000.

s5000515.jpg

this part where the two pipes meet after the cats and right before the clamps that hold the two parts of the system together looks nothing like mine, mine has a huge chamber about 10-30% bigger than the main cats.

his just looks like a stamped section that holds the two pipes together.

this part where the two pipes meet after the cats and right before the clamps that hold the two parts of the system together looks nothing like mine, mine has a huge chamber about 10-30% bigger than the main cats.

his just looks like a stamped section that holds the two pipes together.

My 06 looks like the picture. My 04 has the large chamber as shown in the service manual.

My 06 looks like the picture. My 04 has the large chamber as shown in the service manual.

My '06s don't have the connecting plate. They look exactly like my '00 looked prior to the Magnaflow install.

thats interesting, does you 04 have the h pipe just after the resonators?

i dont know, maybe mine did have them and i just dont remember it, its been awhile since i've removed the resonators.

i dont know, maybe mine did have them and i just dont remember it, its been awhile since i've removed the resonators.

I don't think so, but I'll look tonight to be sure.

My 03' has something right there. But it doesn't look as big as what you're describing. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a factory X-pipe.

My 03' has something right there. But it doesn't look as big as what you're describing. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a factory X-pipe.

Big is a relative term. In my case, it's the size shown in the diagram I linked to.

I wonder if this chamber is the reason why my Magnaflows sound different than what some 06' members posted.

All set for another year, I was able to get an inspection sticker without changing the converters. After the CEL was reset I was able to put ~60 miles on the car without the CEL coming on, enough mileage for the PCM to indicate that it was ready for inspection. Brought it in for inspection and got the big green light. :cool:

Members online

Back