Front end klunk getting the best of me.. and my wallet...

SleeperMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so as some of you know I have been battling the klunk in the front end for quite some time. It is more of a hefty knock over medium sized bumps (not a rattle). Here is what I have replaced... UCA's, LCA's, Struts (Tokico blues with red spring), inner tie rods and outer tie rods (both Motorcraft), strut rod bushings (Moog polyurethane), Wheel bearings and rotors and calipers and brake pads all Motorcraft also. The sway bar end link was done a month before I got the car, so about 40,000 miles ago. (TRW) I am at a loss here. Maybe a bad steering rack? it has NO play but at a stop in park if I shake whe wheel I can hear a quiet knocking. (even after new tie rods). The only other thing I can think of is if maybe the strut rod bushings are not completly tight. I will upload pictures in a few. Trying to get an Idea before I hear to the alignment shop today tho. Thanks

Either way you'll have a trouble free front end for years to come. Since you've already spent alot i'd get a cheap(er) set from a parts joint or ra and see if that cures it. If it does, leave them in and get good replacements when the time comes.

coupler

I've changed a few steering shaft couplers. From underneath left of the oil pan you'll see the coupler connecting the two shafts. Looks like a piece of tire holding them toegether. Could be worn or loose. Does'nt last long after oil leaks all over it. I just saw the oil soaked one on my 95. If it's shot, it will make the noise from your video. Takes two seconds to look. Good luck

Did you do the strut rod bushings at the other end (at the arm) as well, or just the sub-frame side ones?

Double check the ball joints with wheels off the ground, check sway bar bushings and strut tower bolts for proper torque, if something makes noise its either loose ,broken, or not lubricated

End links made no difference. Yes I did the bushings at the LCA also. Where can I find the proper torque for all these things? I just made them all comfortably tight.

hmm. i'd guess tie rods or the steering rack. my steering rack had worn the bushings in the ends and clunked like that.
also had that noise with blown inner tie rods, but those have been replaced you said.

after that, i'm liking steering coupler, or something loose in the steering shaft. because its like a shaft inside a shaft in some parts. might be loose? i know i'm getting kinda close to the edge here. but you've replaced a lot already.

Ya, im chasing a ghost. The coupler sounds like a good suspect tho. What about the strut rod bushings?? Does anyone have a pic of a properly tightened set?

Doing what you are in the video rules out a few parts. Swaybar end links really don't do anything if the car is sitting still, and I would have just disconnected them, rather than replacing them. The strut rods aren't really doing anything sitting still like that. Even the balljoints aren't doing much with the car sitting still. My bet is either the rack itself or the steering shaft/rag joint.

Have someone do the same thing that you are doing with the wheel and you lie next to the car and watch what the rag joint is doing.

Update. I took off the sway bar and guess what??? N more clunking over bumps. Turns out the sway bar mount bushings were torn on the inside and the bar was pretty much just being held in by the strap. What size bushings do I need for the front? RockAuto has several sizes. As for the steering knock.. still working on that one

Let me look on Monday, I may have some in my parts closet

Members online

No members online now.
Back