Suspension Parts Questions

jinx8402

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I received all my parts in for the suspension, and have a few questions:

1. One of my rear shocks (AT704G) did not come with the nut for the strut mount. Oddly enough it was the one that was straight out of the factory and not opened previously. All three other shocks, 1 rear and 2 front, all came with this nut. When I call ford, is there a specific part number for this? I am assuming it should have come with the strut like all the others.

2. The lower insulator for the front definitely do not fit the rear. I thought I read somewhere that they were interchangeable. That being said, you cannot buy the rears separately. What do they usually come with? Is there anything I can use in its place to avoid squeaks due to the coil being right on the metal itself.

3. I'm not sure I can explain what exactly my question is, but compared to the rear two, it seems like the piston (rod) does not protrude out nearly as far. Just doesn't look like the springs will compress enough to put the mount on. See picture below. Is the front usually set this far in? Fronts are on the right, rears on the left:
IMG_20120314_204202.jpg

Hoping to tackle this in the next few weeks once it gets a bit warmer out.

You have to purchase the nuts separately for the front for some odd reason.

They actually came with both of my fronts. And one rear came with the nut. However, the second rear did not have the nut with it.

I went and used 1/4" thick hard rubber for under the spring for the seat, cut it to shape. There are eurathane one if you search around but they go by size and you need to know he correct size, at the time I could not find a match and gave up and just used the rubber. I actually doubled it to raise the car in the rear 1/4" so car has a slight rake.

I came across these...I think it's either the Style A 9.6114 or 9.6104 that would work. I did a quick measurement last night, and those were the closest I could find. Too bad they didn't have more Style D sizes, as that would also provide support for the coil, instead of just sitting on a flat surface.

So I got everything I need, but ran into an issue. Probably pretty silly, but how do you tighten the top nut on the strut mount without spinning the shaft on the shock? Just use a vice grip and then use a wrench to tighten?

suspension

Yes hold the shaft from turning with a wrench and tighten the nut and also you could use the nilon lower spacers that were on the struts that came off the car.
Also i would add new dust boots to the struts and springs before installing them.

I did get dust boots for all 4. Also, I am putting these together while my old ones are still on the car. This way all I have to do is pull out the old and put the new ones in. I took a look at the bolt pattern of the upper mount compared to the lower eye to get a pretty good idea of how they should be positioned.

Make sure to get an alignment after you install everything.

Don't really need to if you're just replacing the shocks. Even though most parts places insist on calling them struts the LS uses shocks and they are not part of the steering geometry.

I plan on getting the alignment anyways. Been a little while since I've last had one done. I'm also replacing the front hub while I have the front wheel off.

suspension

Just an fyi using the rubber for a spring damper could cause some ill effects such as not having the tapered ramp to hold the spring from turning and also the spring may eat through the rubber as it may try to move, the nylon spacers act as a tapered ramp to keep the spring straight up and keep it from turning as the strut cycles up and down.
when i did my eibachs i used the oem ramps it took a little longer to disassemble the old parts but i dident want to have to do the job twice by not using the oem spacer ramps.
This is my opion as well as my ford mechanic i talked with before doing my drop kit.
Mike

If you are putting Eibach's on with the new shocks is this still true?

Yes you need an alignment. You may want to install a camber kit in the front. Some have had success without it but others said they needed it. I had it installed just incase and my front camber is good.

Thanks Hawk.

Which kit did you go with?

How is the tire wear on the rear wheels?

kit

Eibach sells a kit for the LS to use with their springs it was needed to align my 2005 front end to specks,the dealer did a four wheel alignment and the kit put it right to speck.

I have read that some guys weren't happy with the eibach camber kit.

I just ordered the one from moog

Members online

Back