Programmer question

Telco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Just bought a 2003 LS yesterday, and was wondering about programmers. The SCT Advantage III, is that anything like EFI Live is for GM products? I also have a 2000 Silverado, and EFI Live has been invaluable to me for tuning the truck and I'm hoping this SCT Advantage is going to allow me to tune my LS as thoroughly as EFI Live lets me tune my truck. For now I don't intend to do anything more than a fuel economy tune and perhaps smooth out low speed shifting, but later on I may be wanting to boost performance in the car.

BTW, I know new members are usually looked upon as :shifty: possible spammers, especially when their first post has links to other sites on it. I'm no spammer, and don't care if anyone looks at my link to the EFI Live site. I posted it because I'd like to know if the SCT software will do the same for my LS as the EFI Live does for my truck. I'd just do EFI Live for the LS if I could, but they only support GM and some Dodge diesels.

Anyone? Does this SCT software allow direct tuning or is it just a handheld? Wasn't able to get much off their website other than it does hundreds of parameters, wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has it.

To give some feedback, most people on here running tuners are doing so through SCT XCal with LS specific tune from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning and Fast Parts Network. A search on here will bring up a plethora of information on that.

I haven't read anyone on hear tuning their own cars with such equipment. As said most people who tuned theirs did it through Torrie and have been content with it.

Ah, a fellow GM guy driving a Ford product!

EFILive is good stuff, used to use it and HPTuners for some old projects. Been curious about doing a Lincoln tune too but don't know if I want to go down the modding road with this thing (trying to make it the first car that I don't mod up)!

Dammit, don't say that! My bank account really really doesn't need this...I'm doing cheap Angels soon when I swap headlights, and I really held back and did a K&N replacement as opposed to air intake when I did a bunch of maintenance...that's it! (I keep telling myself :))

Dammit, don't say that! My bank account really really doesn't need this...I'm doing cheap Angels soon when I swap headlights, and I really held back and did a K&N replacement as opposed to air intake when I did a bunch of maintenance...that's it! (I keep telling myself :))

Lol thats how it starts...

I can't do much to it, based on why we bought it. But I would like to tweak a few things on the program that I already found I don't like. Is that SCT Advantage III thing like EFI Live?

Well, since nobody knows for sure, I decided to email them. I always prefer to deal with regular people who have used a product over some sales dweeb. I'll report back on what they say and if it turns out that SCT does have something like EFI Live I guess I'll be the guinea pig on it. If it will, well... Summit Racing is selling AdvantageIII for 350 bucks, a bargain compared to EFI Live, and if it will tune like EFI Live then there's no reason that a larger engine can't be shoved under the hood one day. Or, turbocharge what's under there and tune it using larger injectors rather than add-ons.

Well, since nobody knows for sure, I decided to email them. I always prefer to deal with regular people who have used a product over some sales dweeb. I'll report back on what they say and if it turns out that SCT does have something like EFI Live I guess I'll be the guinea pig on it. If it will, well... Summit Racing is selling AdvantageIII for 350 bucks, a bargain compared to EFI Live, and if it will tune like EFI Live then there's no reason that a larger engine can't be shoved under the hood one day. Or, turbocharge what's under there and tune it using larger injectors rather than add-ons.

You may be hard pressed to find those. We have goofy vacuum assisted injectors and I am not sure regular high flows will work.

I am also not sure if that stands true for both generations

You may be hard pressed to find those. We have goofy vacuum assisted injectors and I am not sure regular high flows will work.

I am also not sure if that stands true for both generations

You have the air assist injectors, but gen II (which he has) does not.

Just to clarify the V8 gen 1 has air assist but the v6 (either generation) does not, correct?

No idea on the injectors. Nevertheless, it would not matter. So long as the computer can control how much is injected and that can be altered, standard injectors can be adapted.

Good news, looks like the SCT Advantage IS like EFI Live in its function.

I sent:

Hi – I am looking for software that will allow me to tune my 2003 Lincoln LS. I have a few questions about your Advantage products. I am from the General Motors world, and the product of choice there is EFI Live, so my questions will relate to how your product compares to EFI Live. Unfortunately EFI Live won’t support Ford products, which sucks since I have a considerable amount of money invested in it. If SCT’s Advantage software is the same for Fords as EFI Live is for GM though, I’ll buy a copy. Just so you know I am a private citizen, not part of any automotive tuning company or anything. I have experience with tuning vehicles, but only for myself and my family and I do not do it for a living.

1. Is your Advantage software the same as EFI Live in the ability to tune virtually all parameters in my computer?

2. Are there any limits to how many times I can tune my vehicle? EFI Live will allow me to tune my vehicle as many times as I want.

3. Is there a limit to the number of vehicles I can tune with your product? EFI Live allows me to tune virtually all available parameters, and will allow me to tune an unlimited number of vehicles so long as I buy a license for each vehicle I tune.

4. Does Advantage support transmission tuning? EFI Live allows me to tune shift times, speeds, and line pressure amongst other things.

5. Any chance you might be supporting Chrysler products in the future, or perhaps imported vehicles? (Not part of the email: I asked about this because we have also been looking at the new Chargers)

I’ve been using EFI Live for years and am a huge fan, but since they won’t support Ford (or Dodge products outside of the diesel trucks) I need to find something that will let me tune them as well. At some point in the future I’ll be wanting to install a larger engine in my LS and when that happens I’ll need to be able to tune it correctly. Thanks for any information you can provide. Jim

They responded:
Jim,

Yes, our software is very similar to EFI Lives. Main difference is our software is not a direct flash from your PC to the vehicle, you will need a hand held programmer for every vehicle tuned with SCT, even if you have the tuning software.

If you purchase the Advantage Software, pro racer version and a hand held you are not limited to how many times you can flash the vehicle.

The pro racer software is assigned 1 PCM code when purchased but you do have the option of adding additional codes. Even then, all vehicles tuned will need a programmer.

Yes, we do allow you to tune the transmissions.

As far as Chrysler applications we support 96-06 Vipers including the SRT-10 Viper truck, 04-06 HEMI both 5.7 and 6.1, 03-05 SRT-4 Neon and 98-02 Magnum engines. As long as it is a JTEC or JTEC plus PCM we support it. We do not tune any imports at this time. It has been discussed for future support but there's no ETA on when we will start R&D.

Please let me know if this information or if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Daniel Robertson

Now to this, I sent:

Hmm, seems a waste of hardware to require a separate device per vehicle, and someone with more than one vehicle would have to store a bunch of hardware. EFI Live uses licenses, the same handheld does them all so long as you buy the 100 dollar license. Seems like that would be more profitable for you as well since the license is just a code. So the Pro version allows multiple vehicles for one handheld device? Is there a limit to the number of vehicles the pro can handle? Jim

And, because I'm absent-minded, I later sent:
"Hey, I forgot to add, exactly what would I need to order to repeatedly program my 2003 Lincoln LS V8 using the Pro Racer stuff, like part numbers and such? I'd like to be able to order everything I need in one go. Thanks. Jim"

I'll post back when they respond. It took about a week for them to respond to my initial email.

Members online

No members online now.
Back