Issue

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ball joints and tie rod ends are done. I am getting tracking left and right pretty bad on the highway especially over bumps? Car will shoot left or right and i have to correct it. Very annoying. Doing control arms next week, but I doubt that's the issue. Anyone ever had this happen? Fixes? Thanks...

Did you get an alignment?

Also check the nuts on the ball joints. I recently replaced mine and the nuts keep coming loose, when they become loose it will track to the side which is loose. You will have jack up the car to see if they are loose.

I've been checking and tightening as needed. Mine are coming loose too. Even with Loctite Red, the dang nuts still come loose. Seriously I am about to take it to work and tack weld the nuts in place, lol. Everything has been replaced except the control arms. Lowers have no play. Could be the hubs. Will have to check when it's not raining.

Those nuts are one-time use and have to be replaced with new ones if removed or turned after initial installation.

They were replaced with new nuts and torqued to spec, and they still came loose. Can you give me an answer to the issue I'm having Joe? I'm sure you have seen this before.

They were replaced with new nuts and torqued to spec, and they still came loose. Can you give me an answer to the issue I'm having Joe? I'm sure you have seen this before.

Sorry, nothing more than what you already know. Something is loose that shouldn't be.

X2 on the alignment. If the toe-in is set too high (more narrow at the front than the rear) then the car will tend to walk around on the road. You may also see some feathering on the outside tread. No idea on what you have for tires, but really wide tires will cause this as well, as the tires will try to settle in the road wear grooves.

A better solution to the loosening nuts than tack welding would be to drill a small hole through the ball joint bolt, then use a castle nut and a cotter pin to keep it from spinning loose.

And, were they the actual nuts from the dealer, or were they something like the Help! nuts they sell at the parts store? If they weren't the ones from the dealer, then the nuts may have been made with substandard steel and the threads may not be strong enough to hold.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, nothing more than what you already know. Something is loose that shouldn't be.

My LS has a loose screw too. He's usually driving it though.

The tires on mine track somewhat compared to the stock tires. I just attributed it to wider tires and thinner sidewalls. Also get a very small amount of bumpsteer when the suspension rebounds like driving over a speed bump or small pothole.

i have had a big issue with the car suddenly turning one way or the other, very unnoticeable unless at highway speeds, rear stabilizer links where the problem, once the bushings wore out, each rear wheel had some play and would move forward and back a little bit, so when the car got some gas the car would pull to one side, let off the gas and the car would pull to the other side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back