Mobil 1 Oil Filter now available (M1-213)

02LincLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Not sure when they started making this as I stopped checking for it a couple years ago (had been going with a Pure One filter). Anyone running one of these filters?

I just put one on about 3 days ago. I had to order it. I had no idea it was new, this was my first change on the LS. Extended filter and the 5w-20 oil as well.

The filter was much thicker than the Valvoline filter I pulled off.

Bought it from www.filtersandwipers.com

I didnt know that they had one avilable yet. I used Motorcraft every time so far.

When I changed my oil last, two oil changes ago, either their book wasn't updated or they really didn't have it in yet. That was probably back in March. I'm thinking that latter of the two so it must be brand spankin' new from my experience.

I know my engine sounds better... but the old oil was probably crapo when it was put in. I've used strictly Mobile 1 Extended oil and filters in my last 3 cars. The walmart near my house just started carrying 5w-20 extended in the 5 qt bottles. It saved at least $7 on cost.

Awsome, im gonna change my oil next week, better put my order in now!

I know my engine sounds better... but the old oil was probably crapo when it was put in. I've used strictly Mobile 1 Extended oil and filters in my last 3 cars. The walmart near my house just started carrying 5w-20 extended in the 5 qt bottles. It saved at least $7 on cost.

Yep, the only way to go! Can't beat the price of wally world too. Between the nitrous and 80 mi/day commute, I am not easy on my vehicle. I do 10K oil changes and am lucky if I have to add a quart in that time. I do really like the Pure 1 filter and was very happy when they released it over the regular purolator. However, I think the M1 is another step up over the Pure 1 (and now I won't have to go to two different stores).

the website the OP linked has flat rate shipping, so i bought 3.
I'm not the OP, but they have good prices. $10.99 is pretty good.

I was using motorcraft or K&N(usually can be got cheap on amazon) filters and Mobil1
K&N is the same as Mobile 1, but these are "extended performance". They claim to have twice the storage for trapping contaminants.

they do... cut one apart when you're bored.

Someone did it to a bunch of different filters online.

Ive never gone full synthetic before, but i read you can change oil at 10k but should change filters every 5k. any suggestions? I know the mobile 1 oil says it will protect up to 15k, just trying to see whats reasonable.

I read somewhere - may have even been in the manual that full synthetic is not recommended for the LS, instead sythetic blend is. I'm sure someone else can/will provide more detail.

I read somewhere - may have even been in the manual that full synthetic is not recommended for the LS, instead sythetic blend is. I'm sure someone else can/will provide more detail.

I don't remember reading anywhere that full synthetic is not recommended, but the owner's manual calls for 5W20 synthetic blend. I'm running Mobil 1 full synthetic and so are quite a few other people. Beyond that, others are running different brands of full synthetic and some stick to Motorcraft synthetic blend.

Maybe it was something about going from regular oil straight to sythetic not being recommended? I don't remember honestly.

Well my mechanic suggested i add some rislone motor treatment and run it for a day. Then do a oil change with some house-brand oil and new filter, run it for a day or so, then switch to the synthetic oil and a good filter.

I did the rislone yesterday, and he changed out my old oil today. Tomorrow he'll drain it out for me and put the synthetic in.

But yeah i searched for some oil threads and it seems like a tired debate on blend vs full synthetic.

I have used this filter for 2 yrs. Not changing the filter when you change oil is like putting dirty clothes in the wash during the final rinse cycle!

Ive never gone full synthetic before, but i read you can change oil at 10k but should change filters every 5k. any suggestions? I know the mobile 1 oil says it will protect up to 15k, just trying to see whats reasonable.
Before I was laid off, I was doing my changes at 3,000 miles... The old fashion recommendation. I've been using Mobile 1 Extended Performance and their extended capacity filters since 2004. It's better protection, and will likely go much further than 3000 miles, but I wouldn't go 15k. A lot depends on your environment, how you drive, and the type of driving you do (city vs hwy). Every 6~7,000 seems like a good time to change it to me. Oil & Filter every time.

I have done 15K before but felt the filter was bypassing more frequently. I stick to 10K without issue. I never have to add oil in between changes. I may try 15K again with the new M1 filter.

Well my mechanic suggested i add some rislone motor treatment and run it for a day. Then do a oil change with some house-brand oil and new filter, run it for a day or so, then switch to the synthetic oil and a good filter.

I did the rislone yesterday, and he changed out my old oil today. Tomorrow he'll drain it out for me and put the synthetic in.

But yeah i searched for some oil threads and it seems like a tired debate on blend vs full synthetic.

There is no need to add any treatment or cleaner. Just complete the oil change as normal and put the full synthetic in. Let the filter and oil do its job. Maybe run a shorter change interval the first time... 5K to 7500 miles though I doubt that's even required.

Unless you regularly get your oil examined by blackstone labs its just guesswork. They can tell if you have worn bearings, fuel, dirt, etc and how much lubricity (TBN) the oil has left.

Members online

No members online now.
Back