Two Questions

jarrett88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.9 v8 2002 Lincoln LS Premium and I have a few quick questions for everyone. 1. I am going to go from Minneapolis to Cleveland in about a week and want to know, what the farthest all of you have driven your LS's on a trip, mainly cause i went to Arkansas, a 10hr trip a few weeks ago and saw literally zero LS's on the freeway that were no in state, which lead me to worry if it is not a good trip car. 2. What is the best Freeway gas mileage all of you have been able to pull out. Also if you have any pre-trip maintenance tips for me if I take my LS lemme know, I am already planning on getting the oil done as well as a new air filter.

The LS is an awesome trip car. As long as you do not have too much luggage. I took my Gen I on several trips that were 1K miles each way. I always averaged 25MPG with my 02. Before your trip make sure the the engine coolant is topped off (engine fill and degas bottle), tire pressure is good, etc. If you keep up with regular maintenance and the car is giving you no indication of a problem hopefully everything will be OK.

I love taking my LS on trips. Smooth ride, good power and comfortable seat (to me anyway). Decent mileage too.

You didn't see many because it's not a typical family sedan you see everyday like Altima/accord/corolla.

Its very good on trips and you will get 20+ mpg whole cruiseing.

I've gotten 26mpg on 5 hr trip from nyc to richmond -(no stopping). no complaints, good seats, I find them supportive for a long ride. On a trip to Nova Scotia I did sleep in the car for two nights and no complaints. At 115k I would not hesitate to take it for a long trip again. But then again I've had the car since 21k and know the coils, trans fluid has been serviced. I haven't had to replace the degas bottle yet, so I might grab one of those and put it in the trunk..

Other than that the only thing I would suggest is making sure your tires are ok and check tire pressure. And perhaps getting a cheap OBD scanner.

I wouldn't hesitate to take mine on a trip if you were talking about comfort and drivability. Only concern would be reliability, I wouldn't want to be a days drive away from home on a weekend and have coolant part start poopin' out on ya. I'm letting mine stretch her legs this weekend for a solid 8-9 hour trip.

Yea really my only fear is that it is a 14hr trip give or take, and I am going to have to deal with Chicago traffic.

Experienced that last Thursday in a bloody minivan. Driving in the D is a cake walk compared to the Chicago freeway system.

I just drove 23.5 hours from Atlanta to Denver. The best highway mileage I've ever gotten was on that trip, at 23.8 mpg for the whole trip, after replacing all the sparks and coils.

I can still manage 21-22 while going 80mph. Keeping it to 65 or lower, I can get 26-27. This is all with NO stopping. It drops very quickly when you drop out of 5th and with stop and go traffic.

A long trip is probably easier on the car than many short ones. You should be fine as long as you do normal maintenance. I didn't notice how many miles your car has. If you never replaced the degas tank, maybe having a spare in the trunk as suggested is a good idea. Carry extra premixed coolant.

I just drove 23.5 hours from Atlanta to Denver. The best highway mileage I've ever gotten was on that trip, at 23.8 mpg for the whole trip, after replacing all the sparks and coils.

For information, that was a total of about 1477 miles. I drove 75 mph from Atlanta to Columbia, MO with a few periods of 65 mph. The rest of the way was 85 mph.

Drove my dad's 02 v8 1200 miles each way from pa to florida last summer. Car was fine except for the passenger side blowing hot air. Other than that it was an overall comfy trip with no issues.

I have the 3.9 v8 2002 Lincoln LS Premium and I have a few quick questions for everyone. 1. I am going to go from Minneapolis to Cleveland in about a week and want to know, what the farthest all of you have driven your LS's on a trip, mainly cause i went to Arkansas, a 10hr trip a few weeks ago and saw literally zero LS's on the freeway that were no in state, which lead me to worry if it is not a good trip car. 2. What is the best Freeway gas mileage all of you have been able to pull out. Also if you have any pre-trip maintenance tips for me if I take my LS lemme know, I am already planning on getting the oil done as well as a new air filter.

First off, fewer LSes were made TOTAL any given year Camcordtimas. The best mileage we have achieved so far was 28ish doing 80ish through Wyoming with real (not that ethanol crap) gas loaded with 3 adults and two weeks worth of luggage. Due to, shall we say my wife's adventuresome spirit, "bad" planning we left Nebraska without motel reservations and ended up driving just over 900 miles in one day. Yes, it was a long day but the LS is an excellent travelling car. Remember, it was designed to cruise the autobahn in triple digit speeds. When we travel (I can't afford a specialized car for each need and the LS is our Family Truckster) we usually drive 700ish miles per day; or about 11-12 hours. We have friends in Lino Lakes and drove from their house to Ogallala, NE in one shot. IIRC, that was about 12 hours and 725ish miles. I remember one night in Green River, UT where the bed was sooooo bad I couldn't wait to get back into the LS's driver's seat as it was infinitely more comfortable.

As to the furthest we've driven on a trip..... That would have to be San Diego to Wixom, MI (to watch LSes being built [there's a reason Lincoln went with the 3.9]) to Minneapolis back to San Diego. I think that trip was over 5K miles. We did the SAN-MSP one other time.

All this talk of trips makes me want to take one.......BADLY!!!!

If your worried about your car making it then you should rent a car.

I agree! I drive mine from MPLS to Madison, WI at least 4 times a year. I realize that's only half the distance you're going, plus I don't have to deal with bad traffic on 94 from the cities to madtown. Either way, I love driving my LS, and I "know" it is in good running condition. In fact, I drove it to Phoenix and back in March. Very comfortable road trip car and gets decent mileage considering the 20" wheels, K&N, and 2.5 exhaust. I average 22 at 80mph. It's a daily driver and I average 16 in MPLS.

I drove mine from Tampa FL to Boise Idaho, appx 2800 miles all while towing a trailer with 600lbs of crap behind me. I got a peak of 26mpg in the flat states and 24mpg through the mountains of Utah. Never had one problem with the car, but I went through it before I left.

Members online

No members online now.
Back